To leave as original or splash out? Unsure if I'm keeping 1969 Erica Puck - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-20-2020, 09:37 PM   #21

Trailer: Boler
Pucks are extremely well built and can easily last for many years with good care. Mine is 25 years old and still looks like new. I imported this one from England and had to rewire the electrical system to allow for 120V vs 240V and install a 5 gallon water tank but everything else is as it was supplied by the factory. You can find a lot of nice Pucks for between 4000 and 5500 GBP (about $5K to $6K) and it costs about $2000 all up to have it shipped over to the east coast so I've got a little over $10,500 tied up in this with me doing all of the work on it. I have to put new wheels and tires on it and it will be finished.

Its a pretty good bargain for what I've got invested - a lot of work but after experimenting with a bunch of different travel trailers I'm pretty certain I've got exactly what I need now. This one is a keeper.
Attached Thumbnails
PuckInterior1.jpg   PuckInterior3.jpg  

PuckInterior5.jpg   Puck1.jpg  

Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:20 PM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Nice Puck, Jack!
Where did you install a water heater?

Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:34 PM   #23

Name: Judith
Trailer: Eriba Puck
NC
If you want a new "Puck", check out the Meerkat.
Judith Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by francene View Post
Nice Puck, Jack!
Where did you install a water heater?

Fran
I didn't install a water heater, just a five gallon water tank plumbed to the sink. I used a military five gallon water can in a little nook at the front corner of the closet with a submersible 12V pump.

My Puck had an external connection that plugged in to the outside of the trailer and hooked to an external water bottle. There was an email nlune filter that protruded into the closet area which I needed for other stuff so I removed all of that stuff. If I need hot water I just heat it up on the stove.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #25

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
It works for you, Jack, that's what counts. Good ideas.
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #26

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Personally from my perspective the Old Vintage Pucks are neat for the VW crowd however the later model Pucks such as the one pictured above by "Jack Walter" are so much nicer, camp better, tow better and live in comfort better than any Vintage Puck trailer ever thought about providing.

Damn shame Pucks are not sold new in the USA. Of course the same can be said about other European Camper or Australian Caravans as well. These foreign designed and built trailers sure would make the domestic RV manufacturers have to up their game to sell anything when US buyers find out home much better build quality, design and function are provided by trailers designed in built in other parts of the world!
I was out this weekend in the Puck and can't fathom why you think the newer 1984 is more comfortable than a 1970. I look at Jack's and see virtually no difference from mine.

My camper has inner spring cushions (as a good mattress has-not just foam) providing a nice sleep on a king size bed. The cabinetry hasn't really changed.

I took along my Weti power pack(I have a battery set up, too), vintage propane tank, comfy chairs for outside...it was pretty fabulous.

Please tell me why you think the 80's is better than a well-preserved, original 1970? I don't see it. However, I do think the original design is esthetically much more pleasing than the 1980's. It has a unique look whereas the 1985 model is more similar to US models. I am not saying anything negative about the other camper here other than it looks completely different than my earlier model.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...TRAILER-118035
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #27

The biggest difference in the earlier versus later Pucks is wheel size and windows with a little difference in the onboard appliances. Early Pucks had 10" diameter wheels, then they went up to 12" for a while before eventually getting 13" wheels (with 135/70R13 tires - which are almost unavailable in this country). I had to add some 2" square steel spacers between the axle and frame to gain clearance for some 175/70 R13 tires on mine. The later the Puck the better the window, mine are double pane and the left side and rear window both open, seals are better and more durable.

But early Pucks are very, very cool and probably a little lighter. The interiors aren't as plush as the newer ones but they can be easily modified and updated. All Pucks are nice - the older ones have had a few more years to deteriorate if they come from an aggressive climate.

And sometime around 1992 they lengthened the pop-up roof on the Puck by about 18" giving you a little more standing room inside. Compare my 1989 Puck - notice the raised roof section is shorter than my 1995 Puck
Attached Thumbnails
89eriba-6.jpg   IMG_7302L.jpg