Toilet training cat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2017, 03:05 AM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 21
Texas
Toilet training cat

We are talking about getting a cat to go camping with us. Our last camping cat finally died of old age. Instead of a cat box, we are thinking of toilet training the cat.

Has anyone toilet trained their cat in the trailer? Does the trainer rings fit on the standard plastic trailer toilet?
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:57 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
We are talking about getting a cat to go camping with us. Our last camping cat finally died of old age. Instead of a cat box, we are thinking of toilet training the cat.
Has anyone toilet trained their cat in the trailer? Does the trainer rings fit on the standard plastic trailer toilet?
Interesting question Richard and all I can say is I have never noticed a difference between the house or TT "seating" feel . I've seen vids of cats using toilets but never one of flushing a TT toilet, that may be a first.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I would like to know how the training is done. I have two cats, one of which started using the potty (at home) on her own initiative. The other holds it until morning when she goes out (neither much likes the litter box I guess). It was a real surprise the first time I "heard" the cat using the toilet. I jumped up and ran to the bathroom as I heard a tinkle and thought I had a plumbing leak! Imagine my surprise when I interrupted the cat "doing her business". I had only seen number one, but recently she started going number two in the toilet as well. She has yet to flush.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #4

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 21
Texas
The training is normally done by purchasing a plastic ring that goes over the toilet seat which has inserts. The first insert has no hole. You put litter in it to get the cat used to going up on the toilet instead of the cat box. The other 2 inserts have progressively larger holes. You put smaller and smaller amounts of litter in the inserts. The objective is to finally get the cat to go without any litter. The kits explain all this.

My daughter has been able to train her cat up to the last insert with just a little litter. The cat is ok with that, but will not go to the final step of no litter. However she is happy with this setup and will probably never try to push the cat further.

They sell special litter which is plumbing safe. I am interested if anyone knows if this litter is also black tank safe.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Plan B

I have no personal experience, but I've read about another method. In it, you first put the litter box next to the toilet. Then gradually using big city phone books (Good luck finding those) you raise the litter box until it is the same height as the toilet. Next you set it on the toilet for a few days. Finally, you remove it entirely. It can't be anywhere the cat can sense it. At that point the cat is supposed to choose the toilet. I'm sure you & the cat would want the litter box to be secure as you raise it.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Here's a video of Brenda, who boondocks full-time with her cat. She tethers the cat in a butterfly cat harness, both to keep it from straying, and from coyotes in the wild. She discusses her cat around 12:45 in the video. The guy who produced the video might have Brenda's email address.
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=z5dGdAPBPsc
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #7

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
We have 4cats in our snoozy. We have the large size cement mixing pan from Home Depot in the underbed storage filled with ultra light clumping litter and it's scooped 3 times a day. Our Omega cat has marked in the shower so we are going to put a small, regular sized litter pan in there. Bad enough to sometimes request DH to hurry up his "sitting and thinking" on occasion, be durned if I'm going to fight 4 cats for access to the one toilet.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:32 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
My son lives in an airstream traveling full time with two cats. He has switched to using a Tidy Cat brand litter system called Breeze. I uses ceramic pellets that the urine drains on through onto an absorbant pad.

It has worked very well for them because the ceramic pellets don't get tracked out of the box and onto the floor. They system comes with absorbent pads. Those can get expensive to buy but you don't have to use their version. The pads are exactly the same material as the puppy training pads and the pads are the same type used under people who need a disposable mattress protection pad with odor control.

Video from Purina about the Breeze litter box system
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote