Tonneau Cover for 2017 Toyota Tscoma - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2018, 02:39 AM   #1

Name: Ken & Ellen
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 16 ft Deluxe
Indiana
Tonneau Cover for 2017 Toyota Tscoma

Just bought a 2017 Toyota Tacoma rated at 6,400 lbs towing for our 16 ft deluxe Scamp.This is our first pickup truck and we are looking for advise on a cover for the bed to protect cargo from the elements as well as be lockable.

There seem to be many out there at various prices. Appreciate any advice on good brands and sellers that won't break the bank.
KenEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:08 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I bought one of these about 10 years ago.

https://extang.com/tuff-tonno

I replaced the fabric cover a couple of years ago. Obviously not lockable but at less than $300 the price was right. The hard shell tonneaus are pushing $1000 and my ice chest, chairs, grill, etc. are not worth the extra money. I have been very happy with it and the flexability makes it easy to access anything in the bed. I've had no theft or critter issues but I do remove the cooler and any food items at night.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:22 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenEllen View Post
Just bought a 2017 Toyota Tacoma rated at 6,400 lbs towing for our 16 ft deluxe Scamp.This is our first pickup truck and we are looking for advise on a cover for the bed to protect cargo from the elements as well as be lockable. There seem to be many out there at various prices. Appreciate any advice on good brands and sellers that won't break the bank.
A lot of choices Ken but you might want to let us know if you're talking about a FG cab high shell or bed cover as both have their advantages. I've only had shells as they are more useful overall for hauling/carrying many different items for my use. The bedrail covers would work for some items I use my truck for and want to lock up, maybe 5% of the time, YMMV. I use my Ranger towing the SD with a lumber rack that gets used often. I have never had a problem with loosing anything out of the bed although if there is something in there worth something I'll wrap a chain to it . I do carry a tarp in case of rain but do carry the Honda 2000 behind the seat in the cab. Guess if my tug was dedicated to just towing the TT I'd have a different opinion . Hope you find your perfect solution.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:33 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I've had shells and all kinds of tonneau covers.

The advantage of a shell is capacity, you can probably hold 3X the amount of stuff if you want to. The disadvantage of a shell is visibility. You WILL have more blind spots with a shell. Another disadvantage is your stuff is visible to thieves. Yes, its locked up. But they can look inside and spot your good stuff.

In the world of tonneau covers, you have the folders that are very popular, but in my experience, they leak. Yes, your stuff is secure, but its wet. Your stuff under a tonneau cover is not visible to thieves.

Right now, I have a rigid tonneau cover, its an "Undercover Elite". They are not cheap, but I picked it up used for $150 (new they are $1100).

I'd keep an eye out for used. My last shell was an ARE TW, original price about $2400, bought used for $350. The nice thing about the TW model is that the cover starts at cap height at the front and slopes upward. So its A LOT easier to get in and out of the back of the truck.

Right now, the ARE cover is stored in my carport while I decide whether the tonneau cover is good enough. IMHO, the Undercover is the best of the tonneau covers out there, just not sure if I can live with the reduced storage.

Be patient and you will find a deal on a used one. Figure paying 25% of the original MSRP on a used unit, or even less.

1977 Trillium 1300 by wrk101, on Flickr

IMG_8621 by wrk101, on Flickr
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I’d go with a cap over tonneau cover
I had both on many work trucks... the cap ( are/ snug top) allow you to carry more.... and with side windows easy access
All of the tonneau covers slow dust and dirt to get inside... like I said I’ve had both... the utility company I worked for always thought they knew what was best for their employees and finally after 25 years they allowed me to pick my own
I went with snugtop cap
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I have a 2013 Tacoma and I am on my second home made, rigid, tonneau cover. Cost of material well below $100 in each case. The first one was lockable and was pretty rugged and heavy. The second one is much lighter and not lockable, but I need a wrench to open it, so I think it would slow down and discourage the sticky fingers... I cannot use it while towing my Scamp 5th wheel, but it is useful at other times. I was turned off by the prices of new covers, so I took the challenge.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:21 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Full disclosure: IF my F150 was a dedicated tow vehicle, the ARE TW camper top would stay on the truck. Its only when I use it as a daily drive, particularly in city traffic, where the camper top is undesirable.

Yes, one advantage of the Undercover is it can be removed easily by one person. Its much lighter in weight than the fiberglass covers out there.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I have a Lear molded fiberglass tonneau cover. It is the best choice for me. Security, no leaks ever, and rear visibility are the good points. The downside is that it is heavy and does limit your ability to carry tall objects. It would take 2 people at least a half hour to remove it and probably an hour to re install.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #9

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I’ve had several toppers, cab high, and on this truck I got a tonneau cover. It’s a decent one. That said when I get back home from AZ this winter I’m gonna buy a cab high topper and I’m gonna get the lockable windows that are hinged at the top. That’ll give me access to the full length of the truck bed on each side. The sliding windows with screens are useless for access but good if you’re gonna sleep in there.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #10

Name: Ben
Trailer: Casita
California
Toyota offers a tri-fold tonneau cover as an accessory. I have a '19 Tacoma double cab 4x4 on order and I chose the tonneau cover as an option. It's an expensive accessory but very well made and important for me, is easily removable by myself. I don't know how well it will seal but it seems to be very well made and well thought out.

I have had a hard shell tonneau cover in the past and while I appreciated the protection and security it offered, removal was a 2 person job and storage was difficult (I needed the bed every so often for motorcycles, dump and home depot runs, etc.
Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:16 PM   #11

Name: TravelRN910
Trailer: 2017 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
California
Registry
I sold a Low profile tonneau (used once for 1 month) top for my Toyota Tacoma yesterday for $100 on Craigslist. But after meeting the guy that was buying it, I just gave it to him and said Merry Christmas. I bought a ARE top for the Tacoma instead. I also have Truck Vault drawers in the bed for extra security and everything is alarmed. Happy Trails !
TravelRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #12

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
bed cover

WE have been satisfied w our Bak-Flip 4-folder cover for our Fronty long bed so far..the gear fits under it, [incl the generator] and it locks and stays pretty dry. Also our two kayaks fit easily on top of the cover IF we wanna haul them.

The Bak-Filp folds flat up against the rear window in 4 folds, if you need to haul a tall load in the truck, etc,
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:44 PM   #13

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I've put ARE cab high shells on both of my F150s. I like being able to keep stuff dry and more or less secure. They are relatively heavy so if you are pushing your cargo capacity that might be an issue.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote