Took the plunge! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Took the plunge!

After three very happy years of using my fairly basic 1999 13 foot Scamp, I called Scamp this morning and ordered a 16 foot, layout #4.

I may end up full-timing or perhaps 1/2 timing in it, so wanted a few more features and room than I currently have. I ordered it with the understanding that I can change any and everything about it, including the size, until just before the actual production begins.

I was given a "first week in November" completion date, but possibly the last of October, but don't count on Oct.

Apparently, they have hired about 20 new employees recently to boost their production to more of what the physical plant is capable. I was assured that the new employees will not be allowed to affect the quality -they are watching that closely.

Now the anticipation, setting aside cash, and second guessing begins.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Very cool, Lyle! I'll look forward to hearing how you decide to outfit your build.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #3

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Congratulations, Lyle! [emoji4]

Our Scamp 16 Deluxe Layout A with front sofa and bunks (instead of front dinette) is
much like your Layout 4 except that we have the larger 54" bed and we have the wood
interior.

We too came from a fairly basic Scamp13. Grandkids often came along on our trips and slept on the front sofa/bunks. With our new Scamp16D-A, we can still sleep 2 or 3 grandkids and we gained a bathroom, a closet, and a larger refrigerator/freezer. [emoji4]

Now comes the tough job of waiting. Hopefully, using the Scamp13 for this coming camping season will make the waiting easier.

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
.... I was assured that the new employees will not be allowed to affect the quality -they are watching that closely.

Thats too bad. Some new blood might improve things.

BTW, same as mine.. 16 foot Layout four. IMHO, delete the curtain rod holders, escape vent, sewer hose holder and bathroom roof vent.

Maybe keep the bathroom vent if you plan to shower in it often, but I will bet you don't shower in it often if at all. Its a small bathroom!

Had I to do it over again I would also delete the warm water heater, but keep the shower. In fact my water heater is disconnected and will be gone by the end of the year.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:10 PM   #5

Name: Francis
Trailer: 13' Scamp, soon 2019 17' Casita
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
After three very happy years of using my fairly basic 1999 13 foot Scamp, I called Scamp this morning and ordered a 16 foot, layout #4.

I may end up full-timing or perhaps 1/2 timing in it, so wanted a few more features and room than I currently have. I ordered it with the understanding that I can change any and everything about it, including the size, until just before the actual production begins.

I was given a "first week in November" completion date, but possibly the last of October, but don't count on Oct.

Apparently, they have hired about 20 new employees recently to boost their production to more of what the physical plant is capable. I was assured that the new employees will not be allowed to affect the quality -they are watching that closely.

Now the anticipation, setting aside cash, and second guessing begins.
Congratulations, we just did the same thing today. :-) 16 Deluxe B due by Dec...hopefully. :-)

FXMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #6

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Must be taking longer for the deluxe, worth the wait, I'm sure.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #7

Name: Francis
Trailer: 13' Scamp, soon 2019 17' Casita
Pennsylvania
Alan at Scamp also mentioned that by the time they are building our camper LED lights "might" be all the way around in the camper, finger crossed.

Very happy that the Maxxfan is standard now.

FXMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

Had I to do it over again I would also delete the warm water heater, but keep the shower. In fact my water heater is disconnected and will be gone by the end of the year.
I have to ask, are you suggesting Lyle take cold showers or do you have an alternate heat source in mind?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:25 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I have to ask, are you suggesting Lyle take cold showers or do you have an alternate heat source in mind?
More along the line of suggesting that the Scamp 16-4 bathroom is so small, and the fresh water tank so limiting, that other shower arrangements usually work out much better. But YMMV and situations vary, so thats not 100% firm advice, more like the view from a mostly southern states camper.

But I do like having the "wet room." its fairly easy to clean, can be used for wet clothes, and a "cold" or lukewarm shower is just the ticket when its 95 F outside (think summer beach trips). And if you want to do a minimal sponge bath with warm or hot water, you can heat a little water on the stove I suppose.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote