Tornadoes / High Winds - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #21

Name: Roy
Trailer: Quantum 5
Oklahoma
Here in Tornado Alley, AM and FM radios stations give good coverage and warnings.
Roy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #22

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
They said they didn't have a smart phone....didn't say if they had a tablet or not! Oh and that app I mentioned does notify if bad weather is near where you are located.

My problem with just using the radio is, if you are in an area you are just passing through, you may have NO idea if the tornado going NNE out of Spencer Corner is heading toward you, or away from you. Problem is then complicated if you are the ONLY person in the vehicle and need to pull over to the side of the road to get the map out and find out just where that burg is located.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I cant pick up much of anything on my AM radio in the day time... but at night I could get weather warnings for half way across the country.. No, sorry... I don't think an AM radio is the best choice.

OP asked for the best way and a smart phone is the best way (most of the time). So that is still my answer, even if the OP does not own one at present.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #24

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
C'mon, this is not that difficult.

I am reminded that a consultant is someone who knows 173 ways to make love, yet has no partner.

Let's review the question:
"What is the best way to stay informed of tornado / wind warnings while on the road?"

Then they replied that they choose not to own a smart phone.

Got it? Great.

Did you know the systems on smart phones may rely on automated monitoring of radio stations' alerts? Yup. Google, Emergency Alert System.

One of the great things about being on the road, is that you can look out the darn windows & see storms. That's a powerful tool in the Great Plains, and it's free.

Due to how they are created, most tornados occur between 3pm and 9pm. Yes, ones at night can be very deadly, because seeing them out the windshield is harder.

It doesn't matter if the radio is AM or FM. I'd choose AM. It also is easy to know if you are listening to Richmond, VA while driving in Oklahoma. Really.

Supplement the car radio with an inexpensive Weather Alert Radio. Read comparisons, or have a friend get on-line.

Lastly, if a tornado is approaching, turn left or right out of its path.

Tornados aren't that common, and there are bigger problems to worry about.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #25

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
"Next morning we awoke to a sunny day, and for some reason we were not in Kansas!" --Floyd

So...the tornado got you and blew you to Oz?

Last time I wasn't in Kansas, that's what happened to me!
Old 04-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #26
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
"Next morning we awoke to a sunny day, and for some reason we were not in Kansas!" --Floyd

Click your heels three times. You'll be fine
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #27

Registry
Raz:

First--you get that feeling that you're not in Kansas any more...THEN you short cut through the whole darn thing and click three times...

Home again, home again, jiggety jig!

Kai
Old 04-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #28

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post

Naw!! I was still in Indiana!
Dr. Oz might have been on but we don't watch him!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #29

Registry
Floyd, LOL! Glad to hear it!
Old 04-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #30

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Tony the OP here:

MonB,

Why avoid underpasses with other people pulled over?
TonyJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #31

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJanet View Post
Tony the OP here:

MonB,

Why avoid underpasses with other people pulled over?
Wind speeds in tornadoes can exceed 200 mph. These destructive winds produce airborne debris that are blown into and channeled under the overpass where people might try to seek shelter. Debris of varying size and types, including dirt, sand and rocks, moving at incredible speeds can easily penetrate clothing and skin, causing serious injuries and possibly death. Very fine debris can also be forced into eyes, causing injury or loss of sight. A person can even be blown out or carried away from the overpass by the fierce tornado winds. If a person is positioned at the top of an overpass, he/she could encounter even higher wind speeds and more missile-like debris. Wind direction will also shift abruptly as the tornado passes, tossing debris from all sides.

SOURCE: Ohio.gov | OCSWA | Tornado Safety & the Dangers of Highway Overpasses
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #32

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Gordon,

Thank you for the information

I didn't know that.

Tony
TonyJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #33

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Underpass is great with hail comin' and hail don't last long.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #34

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJanet View Post
Hello everyone,

We will be traveling through tornado prone areas from May to June.

What is the best way to stay informed of tornado / wind warnings while on the road?

Tony
We use a weather radio. It is 110V or 9V battery. It has an emergency alert so if something comes up during the night it will wake us up. It has helped us a lot. It gets the NOAA weather so we can listen any time we want to.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:02 PM   #35

Name: Terry
Trailer: Casita 1981 13'
Idaho
Last year I was in Kansas and automatically got a warning that a tornado was in our county. (I have the old fashioned flip phone). We pulled off the road and parked our rig going with the wind. We made sure that trees were not surrounding us. There was a ditch which we considered getting into but it was full of water and who knows what creatures were lurking. We lucked out and the storm blew right over us. Same thing happedned the next day. Pretty luck I guess!
Terry in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:41 PM   #36

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Yep, gordon2 got it right!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #37

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Living in Texas where Tornadoes are a common thing, now you may think that they happen everyday from people who don't live here, but remember Texas is a mighty big state and it's close to 1000 miles from one side of the state to the other. The last tornado I saw was in 1957 when a tornado went across Dallas. Sure I listen to the weather both radio and TV, but I don't panic every time there is a tornado warning, yes I do become aware that one could form, but I don't go looking for a rock to hide under either. I would say that 99.0% of weather forecast say that conditions for a tornado are present when storms are in the area, but remember that weather station are pretty gun shy about weather forecast and not notifying the public would be the demise of that weather station weather program if one did occur. All being said, I would worry more about having a auto accident and being hurt, or in many cases the big one. Living here in Texas where we do have a few tornadoes, every one has a gun, is much safer then say Chicago, Detroit, Boston, etc, take your pick.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:05 AM   #38

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Hi Iím Michael and Iíve enjoyed the thread. Like many of you I do have a smart phone. I have not explored this yet, so Iím wondering if any of you have had experience with a cell phone signal booster antenna. Iím going to be doing a lot of boondocking and Iím not crazy about not having the ability to get help if needed, as well as, weather alerts. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:50 AM   #39

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
This thread and others that talk of all the things we need to have or worry about now gives me a chuckle of how people's minds change over the years. Just a guess, but I'd bet 90% of the folks here started camping in tents, LONG before cell phones even came out. 40 years ago when we decided to go camping, all we were concerned about was having enough gas in the tank, some food and drink and not breaking down out in the boonies. Pretty much the same for me still but I carry a cell phone now. It's all good, just reminiscing of the old days of how we all started out.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:17 AM   #40
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Living in Texas where Tornadoes are a common thing, now you may think that they happen everyday from people who don't live here, but remember Texas is a mighty big state and it's close to 1000 miles from one side of the state to the other. The last tornado I saw was in 1957 when a tornado went across Dallas. Sure I listen to the weather both radio and TV, but I don't panic every time there is a tornado warning, yes I do become aware that one could form, but I don't go looking for a rock to hide under either. I would say that 99.0% of weather forecast say that conditions for a tornado are present when storms are in the area, but remember that weather station are pretty gun shy about weather forecast and not notifying the public would be the demise of that weather station weather program if one did occur. All being said, I would worry more about having a auto accident and being hurt, or in many cases the big one. Living here in Texas where we do have a few tornadoes, every one has a gun, is much safer then say Chicago, Detroit, Boston, etc, take your pick.

trainman
First, I would agree that living in a tornado prone state (Florida is in the top 5) is a bigger concern to the uninitiated than to the residents. In the 33 years I have been a resident, I have not personally witnessed a tornado. And I would point out that while I donít panic if a tornado warning is issued, I do sit up and take notice. That is because a tornado ďwarningĒ indicates a tornado has been spotted, whereas a tornado ďwatchĒ indicates that conditions are such that tornadoes could form. Trainman did not make this distinction, and it is an important difference. Lastly, I personally do not agree that everyone having a gun makes for a safer environment. Florida was one of the first States to pass a Stand Your Ground law. There is a lot of gun ownership and there are thousands of concealed carry permit holders. However, all it takes is one single nut case and you get a school or nightclub massacre of innocent people. And as big as Texas may be and as spread out as the tornado landscape may be, the Lonestar State, like every other State, has its share of nut cases (and violent crime).
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote