Total RV Newbie Looking for Tips and Question on Deposit on Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #21

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Total RV Newbie Looking for Tips and Question on Deposit on Scamp

Tommy/(liftinggeek),

If you ask, you might find a difference between the delivery date for a Scamp Standard and a Scamp Deluxe. At least that was my experience.

I would highly recommend attending a fiberglass rally to help with your decision making.
There is a usually excellent rally just south of Paducah in early October called "LBL - Land Between the Lakes". They have cabins for rent at Piney Campground, so you don't have to already own a trailer. At most rallies, there is usually an "Open House" day where you can have the opportunity to see and step inside many brands and sizes of trailers. You can also visit with the owners about what features they like and about their experience with the manufacturer.

I don't think you mentioned what engine you have in your 2005 Escape or what it's tow/tongue weight ratings are. Those ratings will likely tell you whether a 13 or 16+ foot trailer is best for you at the present time.

I also don't think that you mentioned how many adults/kids you want to be able to sleep.

Many older Scamps and current molded/Standard 16 foot Scamps have a 44" wide main bed. Deluxe Scamps and newer (2013+?) 13 foot Scamps may have a 54" standard/double bed. Side dinette versions can sleep 1 additional person. Front sofa/bunk-bed models can sleep 2 additional (1 adult + 1 child?).

Good luck on your decisions! [emoji4]

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Scamps enjoy a low initial price in part because stock they are stripped. Things you would think would be standard on a camper in 2017 like a furnace, refrigerator, gray water tank, black water tank, toilet, awning, AC, LED lights (last I knew) are all extra.

Scamp is still a good deal but I would get the factory options you want up front as it can be a hassle to add later.

Also, carefully consider bed size. The small bed, 44 inch, is small, really small. Thats only slightly larger than a traditional twin bed (39 inches). To enjoy camping, you need to be comfortable in the camper. If you are cramped, it can discourage taking trips and using the camper. The "big" Scamp bed is 54 inches wide, which is the size of a double bed.

Another thing is having a place to sit inside the camper, without taking up the bed. Think what happens when you get bad weather. We made the mistake of buying a camper with no place to sit.

You and your spouse (or whoever you plan to camp with) need to have a long talk on what is important to each of you. For instance, I wanted to buy a vintage Trillium 1300. My wife cancelled that plan. No toilet, no A/C = no dice! Fortunately the conversation took place before I bought the Trillium.

IHMO, a lot of people over-estimate the capabilities of their tow vehicle AND underestimate the weight of their trailer. Manufacturers list dry weight, which is always a JOKE on trailers. Check out weights in the real world for more useful information. Secondly, people often just look at one number on their tow vehicle, the tow rating. They overlook payload capacity and tongue weight limits. Most tow vehicles run out of payload and tongue weight capacity long before they run out of "towing capacity". My truck has an ample tow rating of 9,800 pounds. Should handle anything, right? Well, I run out of payload capacity with a trailer of 5,500 pounds or less.... Irritating. Towing with a marginal tow vehicle is no fun!

Jon makes a good point below, one advantage to the stripped down Scamp is you can get the trailer really basic if that is what you want. No other F/G to my knowledge comes so basic. Basic also means light weight, which opens up TV options.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Scamps enjoy a low initial price in part because stock they are stripped. Things you would think would be standard on a camper in 2017 like a furnace, refrigerator, water tank, gray water tank, black water tank, toilet, awning, AC, LED lights (last I knew) are all extra...
That's one thing I appreciate about Scamp: you can still get a very basic, no-frills trailer if that's what you want. And if you don't, Scamp offers an "option package" that bundles a long list of popular options at a greatly reduced price. The bottom line is comparable to the competition, but you have a lot more flexibility.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp