Totaled tow vehicle while pulling camper - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #41

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
OK, I don't have a deer/elk/moose/horse story, or an OWL story. BUT I do have a fish story. No kidding.

About 3 years ago, I had a dental appointment in St. Petersburg. Just as I was exiting I-275, I caught a rather large sea bird coming in low at the car in my peripheral vision from the passenger side. I tapped the brakes while quickly checking the rear view mirror but couldn't really hit the brakes hard due to other vehicles on my tail. I heard a thump, and again glanced in the mirror expecting to see feathers flying all over the road but all I saw was a fish, still alive, flopping on the pavement. It all happened very fast, but the bird apparently panicked and dropped its fish (which I didn't notice beforehand) to gain altitude and avoid colliding with the car. I pulled over the first chance I got and found the front (plastic) bumper, driver's side cracked from the impact. Had I been able to brake hard, the bird with fish might have been able to completely pass in front of the car, but split seconds matter at 55 mph. I'm probably one of a handful of people who can say they have been in an automobile collision with a fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #42

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
I had a similar escape with an eagle in May. After leaving early in the morning heading east I had to brake quickly twice for deer, and saw many more, not surprising. Shortly after crossing into the U.S. at Warroad MN I was approaching what I could not initially recognize at the edge of the road. As I got closer it took off, a large bald headed eagle with something in its claws, it had trouble getting lift as well, and barely cleared the roof the car whilst dropping whatever it had on the top of windshield. I thought, well this is to be expected, lots of deer in Canada, then once in the U.S. just missed a national emblem eagle!

Adrian

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #43

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
It's bad enough we have to be on the watch for critters, now the winged ones are "bombing" us!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-13-2015, 07:17 AM   #44

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
On our vacation through southwest US last summer, my wife commented that "I have seen more deer on this trip than previously in my entire life", and then she added, "and several of them were not even dead"

I have hit a couple deer in the past with numerous near misses. You have to be ever watchful. I find that dawn and dusk seem to be the times when deer are travelling the roads the most (maybe travelling between home and the office?).

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote