Tow vehicle 2WD or 4WD - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2018, 08:09 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Yesterday I purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4X4 Bighorn/Lone Star Edition, Tow Package, plus other options to get me down the road in style. This Ram should do whatever I need done for towing as I will not be towing anything larger then a 21-23 foot fiberglass travel trailer. I hate to part with my Honda Ridgeline it tows the Casita perfect, but it maxes out a 5000 pounds weight and I can not put a 5th wheel hitch in the bed if I decide to go with a Escape 5.0. I've always owned 4WD or AWD vehicles, so it would be hard for me to go to a 2WD vehicle, but I did give it some thought. Thanks for all the responses from everyone.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Your new truck should work just fine!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #23

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Congrats! Sounds very nice and should pull the Casita well. What's the payload?
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #24

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Washington
IMHO a 2wd full size pickup is the ideal tow vehicle. You will only need 4wd if you like to go off road, live in a hilly, snow covered area or encounter lots of slippery muddy roads. Since you plan on upgrading to a larger trailer a mid size truck might have to be replaced at some point. Better to have a little too much truck than a little too little. There are caveats though. If you have to park in parking garages with cramped spaces like we do occasionally, we chose a Honda Ridgeline with a rated tow capacity of 5,000 pounds. We don't have any intention of going larger than our current sized trailer, so it works out fine for us. Another thing for us is, we didn't want to have a driveway ornament, which is what happens when the owner avoids using their full size truck to run up to the store because it is a gas hog. So I think, rather than just prejudging your needs, think things thru and go from there.
Casita Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Colorado
You can always check the difference in resale value between 2WD and 4WD by going to the Kelly Blue Book site and checking. If you pay an additional $3000 for a 4WD which you seldom need to use then I doubt that the resale value will be more than the $3000. difference you paid. Still I suppose there is a greater market for older 4WD trucks because some people want them specifically for off road driving in 4WD. Not sure if that is much of a market though. I don't believe a $3000 4WD will add $4000 to the resale value after 6 to 10 years and 80,000 miles.
Silver River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #26

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver River View Post
You can always check the difference in resale value between 2WD and 4WD by going to the Kelly Blue Book site and checking. If you pay an additional $3000 for a 4WD which you seldom need to use then I doubt that the resale value will be more than the $3000. difference you paid. Still I suppose there is a greater market for older 4WD trucks because some people want them specifically for off road driving in 4WD. Not sure if that is much of a market though. I don't believe a $3000 4WD will add $4000 to the resale value after 6 to 10 years and 80,000 miles.
I agree and would be concerned buying a used 4wd truck having increased wear and tear over a 2wd. In other words, was a yahoo driving it over rough roads at high speeds, etc. that a 2wd truck would never see. I doubt I am the only one thinking about that when looking at used trucks. And there is also the fuel economy to consider. 2wd trucks will save a little gas over 4wd over the long haul. You pay more for 4wd and it uses more gas, especially if you install aggressive treaded tires.
Casita Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I would tend to also shy away from a used truck with a trailer hitch. But, if I can see the service records, I might be swayed.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #28

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
what are you planning to do

I think the real question is where are you really going with your camper, therefore the tow vehicle. I can't see a reason for 4x4 if you are staying on pavement and at well prepared camp sites. I have a Jeep commander and used it for by 16 foot scamp. I use the 4x4 for this purpose kind of regularly. BUT ....

I go into disaster areas and help. Even the paved roads are iffy in many of these cases.

I camp at free primitive camp sites where there is no paving or gravel. A lot of these places really are for tent camping, but they don't restrict it.

I camp at other locations that are not really even officially camp sites.

I camp at conventions and festivals for hobbies where the "camp ground" is frequently literally a cow pasture. Well usually not that year so the dodo is not a problem, but still no pavement in sight. I went to a week long event like this in 2017 where it rained a bunch after we got there. If the picture comes out you will see where I was at. Most of these campers had to be pulled out with a tractor. I pulled a few people out with my jeep. I drove right on out of here.

You do any of this 4x4 will reduce a lot of your frustration and increase possibilities. If you are more only going to camp where people are supposed to be putting travel trailers a 2 wheel drive will probably do great for you. So one size doesn't fit all.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #29

Name: David
Trailer: in the market
Idaho
A few comments because I always have a few comments.

I believe if you don't ever want to boondock, drive on the beach, climb a dirt road or drive in snow then a 2wd will be just fine. If you do the math, it would probably be cheaper to pay a tow now and then than to pay for 4wd. You can get towing insurance with your car insurance for only a few bucks and that would cover it all.

Sometimes 2wd has a higher towing and hauling capacity but not always. You have to look at the specs to be sure. Sometimes 4wd has a higher rating.

Often the mpg of a 2wd is higher than a 4wd but not always. BMW did some testing and determined that there are times when AWD is more economical than 2wd. It has to do with the rolling resistance of tires. An idling tire has a little more rolling resistance than one that is pulling a little. That isn't likely to be the situation with towing but it isn't clear cut.

If you are choosing between a long bed and 4wd then your budget is pretty tight. You could find a very low miles used truck with both and save even more. You could even get a higher trim level truck for less.

2wd trucks are generally lower to the ground than 4wd trucks making them easier to get in and generally easier to deal with.

2wd trucks are typically cheaper to maintain/own.

Most rwd cars have close to a 50/50 weight distribution. Fwd cars tend to be more like 70/30 with more weight on the drive axle. Trucks are normally light in the rear. That means trucks are least capable when traction is low. This is offset when towing to a large degree because of the tongue weight of the trailer.

In my mind, and only in my mind, SUVs are cars that want to be trucks. Compact trucks are cars with big trunks. 1/2 ton truck are borderline but useful. Real trucks start with 3/4 ton and go up from there. That doesn't mean you can't tow with smaller vehicles though. I'd have no problem towing with a Subaru Brat if the trailer was small enough. You don't need a 4wd 3/4 ton diesel truck to tow an FGRV.

With proper prep and good skills you can take a 2wd a lot of places that people get stuck in their 4wds. Such prep and skills typically come from sad experience though. Simply by keeping up a bit of momentum you can get through a lot of things that seem iffy.

I drove a Mazda Protege (small fwd) from Boise to Portland one winter. When I got to Baker City the freeway was closed. I took the old highway until I got to Haines, Oregon. There the old highway was blocked off. I took city streets to get around the barricades, sliding through 2 prospective turns before I got back to the highway. I then proceed westward on the highway. I watched a Toyota pickup in my rear view mirror with oversized off road tires do a pirouette and run off the road backwards. About 5 miles down the road I waited while a convoy of 2 trucks and a Suburban entered the highway. I followed them into LeGrande. They broke through the 4-5 drifts across the highway and I hit the drifts at about 20 mph to not get stuck. I never slipped, slid or spun between Haines and LeGrande.

Someone who doesn't know what they are doing can get stuck in a small puddle. Someone with a little experience can go a lot of supposedly impassable places just fine.

Diesel engines are nice for towing because their power peak comes lower in the rev range where most towing happens but unless you tow a lot they will never pay for themselves.

All of the above not withstanding, I don't think I will ever own a 2wd pickup. It just doesn't fit what I do or hope to do with a truck. Again, in my mind only, real pickups are 4wd, and I'm not alone. Where I live in Idaho there are probably ten 4wds for every 2wd. Of course we have snow. Interestingly it tends to be farmers that have 2wds but then they also have a 4wd.

Around here 4wd sells used for about 2-3 times the price of 2wd and diesel adds another 50%.

I was contemplating getting a 2wd for towing since I already have a 4wd. My wife nixed that idea right off.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If anyone changes their mind, please let us know.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #31

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Escape 19
Alberta
I agree with the majority of the responses that suggest the conditions you will be driving in is the most important factor to consider. If I was going to use a 2wd I would make sure it had a limited slip or locking differential. Also, your choice in tires can make a big difference. For my purposes, I choose tires that have both the mountain snowflake symbol and the mud and snow designation.
Lynn S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #32

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Stating the obvious, OP made his decision several days ago, post #21.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:24 AM   #33

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Yesterday I purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4X4 Bighorn/Lone Star Edition, Tow Package, plus other options to get me down the road in style. This Ram should do whatever I need done for towing as I will not be towing anything larger then a 21-23 foot fiberglass travel trailer. I hate to part with my Honda Ridgeline it tows the Casita perfect, but it maxes out a 5000 pounds weight and I can not put a 5th wheel hitch in the bed if I decide to go with a Escape 5.0. I've always owned 4WD or AWD vehicles, so it would be hard for me to go to a 2WD vehicle, but I did give it some thought. Thanks for all the responses from everyone.

trainman
You won’t regret it. Should pull whatever FG trailer you get. We like ours a lot, first Ram I’ve owned and I will probably buy another. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #34

Name: Andrey
Trailer: Casita
West Virginia
Registry
Most people that tow a lot (and/or professionally) and mostly on pavement/typical RV park, get 2WD for weight/fuel savings and fewer mechanical issues. That vehicle is typically an exclusive tow vehicle for them.
Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #35

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think I have. Some good information and observations have been made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Stating the obvious, OP made his decision several days ago, post #21.
And not as obvious.. other people are also reading this thread and deciding on which option to go with. No need to stop the discussion.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:23 PM   #36

Name: David
Trailer: in the market
Idaho
Just to point out the obvious, most semi tractors only drive one rear axle but most have the option to also drive the other rear axle. Very few have a drive axle in the front. So they are 4 wheel drive most of the time, can easily be 8 wheel drive but only rarely can they be 10 wheel drive.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #37

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Hi: Glenn Baglo... I didn't change my mind... just my truck. In the used market 4X4's have the market cornered. I did buy a used diesel one with a trailer tow pkg but no stinger. I also saw a sat. pic of the previous owners driveway with a contractor style trailer in it. Didn't look that ominous to me.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #38
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Glenn Baglo... I didn't change my mind... just my truck. In the used market 4X4's have the market cornered. I did buy a used diesel one with a trailer tow pkg but no stinger. I also saw a sat. pic of the previous owners driveway with a contractor style trailer in it. Didn't look that ominous to me.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Hi Alf. Why did you get rid of the Frontier? Any issues? My 2017 now has 12k miles.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:29 PM   #39

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Frontier??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Hi Alf. Why did you get rid of the Frontier? Any issues? My 2017 now has 12k miles.
WE got our 2WD 4dr V6, long bed last November, and have hauled the Casita 55 nights and put 15000 trouble free miles on it.. no problemo, and we use it like a SUV when not hauling. Lots more room than the Sonata we sold and we got the extended warantee. Should be good to go.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:13 AM   #40
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
WE got our 2WD 4dr V6, long bed last November, and have hauled the Casita 55 nights and put 15000 trouble free miles on it.. no problemo, and we use it like a SUV when not hauling. Lots more room than the Sonata we sold and we got the extended warantee. Should be good to go.
This is my third. The only trouble I've had was a tailgate adjustment on the first. All mine were 4wd crew cab sb. Very good tow. Very comfortable seats too. Alf was quite happy with his but the mileage was getting up there as I recall.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote