Tow vehicle has to come first - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I worked part time for a major retail chain for 30 years.
They sold paint under their own private label .
The retailer's major competitor also sold paint under their own private label.
Both paints were manufactured by the same paint company and in the same plant . The paints were identical except for the label on the paint can.
CR rated one retailer's paint a best buy and rated the other retailer's paint at the bottom of the scale.
We often got cases of paint with our label on the carton but the cans were labeled for the competing retailer.

From my experience CR has too many prejudices to be reliable , especially with vehicles and appliances.
CR has an agenda IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #22

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
Thanks to someone running a red light - and air bags (my first car had a lap belt and a lot of metal in the cabin; good age we live in) - I need a new
vehicle. It was going to happen anyway, but I had thought I'd zero in on the trailer first. Oh well.

I have a decided preference for an SUV; just like getting fly fishing gear, etc., together out of the back of a full lift. Still haven't seen too many trailers in person, but think I'll max out in the 17' Casita/16' Scamp range; could be smaller. I guess a 19' Escape could be in there too, but that seems to be in a different towing class (that's all impressions from web sites). Four-wheel drive for bad USFS roads and mountains that will want me to have a cushion on tow limits. Replacing a 2014 Subaru Forester; enjoyed the creature comforts of a large sun roof, heated seats, and satellite radio, but that kind of stuff is secondary.

Suggestions? Pros and cons? New or used, but reliable no matter what; will be my only driver.

Thanks for any advice.

Bob
We pulled our 17' Casita with our 2002 Chev Trailblazer with a 4.2L engine with automatic trans. It had come with a tow package so the engine and trans. was matched for towing. We pulled the trailer over many mountain passes in Colorado and it did very well. We sold it to our grandson for college use and bought us a 2013 GMC Yukon XL with a 5.7L. It gets about 17-18MPG in city and when towing. When not towing we get about 22-23 Hwy. Trailblazer did the same so we got way more vehicle and same mileage when we upgraded. The Yukon has all the toys like heated seats, satellite radio, and much more. We bought used to save about $20,000 and instantly had all the oils changed to Amsoil. Couldn't believe how much junk was in the trans. and rear end. So that would be a wise thing to do no matter what you buy unless it is brand new. Trailer Life Magazine should have their tow vehicle magazine out so check with that also.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #23

Name: J.
Florida
Jeep. Grand. Cherokee. )
J.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #24

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
In my experience a heavier tow vehicle working comfortably does use more fuel than a lighter tow vehicle working hard. My 3/4 diesel doesn't use more fuel than my 1/2 gasoline when I'm towing plus the diesel has so much more power and stability.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #25

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
All I want is the list with tow ratings. Not that easy to get as the Trailer lists usually don't distinguish between things under 5000 lbs. I find CR a piece of information- not all of it, and not always the best, though better on car things than some other things. (They often weigh unimportant features too much, for example.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
How did you do that? I can't find a sortable list. (Access through my library to CR.)
Bobbie,

Here's an example of sorting the Consumer Reports online reviews based on new SUVs. This only works for new vehicle ratings; the used vehicle ratings don't appear to have all the data columns that are provided for new vehicles. As towing capacities sometimes change greatly year to year (many seem to have shrunk greatly) this process can only be used as an initial screen if you are looking for vehicles older than the current model year.

Please refer to the attached PDF file. From ratings, I selected the "Specs" tab. From there, one needs to click on the fuzzy little gray arrows to the right of the word "Exterior..." at the right. That will expand the "Exterior" category to include more columns. "Towing Capacity (lbs.)" is at the far right.

Clicking on the little gray "i" box underneath "Towing" will sort by that column. Or, (duh!), as I just noticed, there is a box above labeled "Sort by:"; you can click there and select the item to sort by.

Trailer Life magazine's annual towing guides are another good resource and have the advantage of providing data for older vehicles. I hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ConsumerReportSortByTowRating.pdf (391.2 KB, 18 views)

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Here's the PDF as a picture
Attached Thumbnails
ConsumerReportSortByTowRating.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #28

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Thanks, that helps, I figured it out now using your pics.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #29

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Thanks for all the comments. On budget, I'm basically frugal, but on the other hand, have pretty much decided that instead of deciding on a mountain cabin, or a beach condo, or a lake place, I'll roll around with all of the above, so that which was earmarked there comes into play. The frugality comes in when I remember that I THINK I want to spend a lot of my early retirement this way (extended tent trips have been fun, but I'm looking for more comfort), but until I actually do, who knows; at least it seems the trailer shouldn't depreciate too badly.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:10 AM   #30

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
We pulled our 17' Casita with our 2002 Chev Trailblazer with a 4.2L engine with automatic trans. It had come with a tow package so the engine and trans. was matched for towing. We pulled the trailer over many mountain passes in Colorado and it did very well. We sold it to our grandson for college use and bought us a 2013 GMC Yukon XL with a 5.7L. It gets about 17-18MPG in city and when towing. When not towing we get about 22-23 Hwy. Trailblazer did the same so we got way more vehicle and same mileage when we upgraded. The Yukon has all the toys like heated seats, satellite radio, and much more. We bought used to save about $20,000 and instantly had all the oils changed to Amsoil. Couldn't believe how much junk was in the trans. and rear end. So that would be a wise thing to do no matter what you buy unless it is brand new. Trailer Life Magazine should have their tow vehicle magazine out so check with that also.
Actually my husband reminded me the Yukon is a 6.0L engine. Our van had the 5.7. It does all we want and more with all the toys as above, 4WD Etc. Doesn't have any problems in the wind towing or otherwise. We drive a very crooked canyon and the speed limit says 55 but the Yukon will take the curves at 60 not with the trailer and does awesome in the snow. We do use the sway bar from Casita all the time. This is our daily driver.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:06 AM   #31

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
Towed for years with a 2004 Honda Pilot. At about 200,000 miles I was taking on a long commute and was ready to step up to something with a few more creature comforts than our older Pilot had. My great experience and reliability of the Pilot lead us to a Honda Ridgeline after comparisons with the other midsize trucks. I seriously considered the new Honda pilot as well, but we really wanted a truck this time around.
Newfang is offline   Reply With Quote