Towing a 24' camper vs an 18' ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2020, 03:19 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Hmmm... A standard parking spot is 18’ long (my 19’ Chevy van doesn’t quite fit), so a double is 36’ long. The larger Oliver is 23.5’ long. Know any 13’ tow vehicles? (A typical half ton short bed crew cab pickup is 19-20’ long.)
I know of no rule that states you must stay within the length of a private parking space. But it's important to not impede traffic, or take up more space than necessary, or get blocked in. Never park a truck and trailer in the front of a crowded parking lot where you will likely get trapped regardless of the length of the pair. While parking in an uncrowded section, away from the store, a bit of overhang is no problem and better, in some cases, than taking up six spaces when parking across them. A bit of overhang does not impede traffic in that case and has never been a problem with a 23' trailer for me. With longer rigs, or for overnight stays, it's probably best to park along the perimeter, across the single spaces, tucked in and out of the way.

The point is, a 23' trailer and a standard cab pickup is easy to park. A club cab pickup, with a 30' trailer would be a different story. Even a 17' Casita and an SUV could get in trouble if parked in a crowded area near the store.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:32 AM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500 View Post

When pulling the Scamp I could not tell it was behind me.
Wow. Drive all the way to your campsite without knowing if you brought the trailer! How in the world did you ever back up? Did you ever get there and find out you didn't bring it?
Old 02-05-2020, 05:26 AM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
The Oliver is a fine trailer with a lot of features and a price tag to match! I considered one, but was not impressed with the sterile looking interior (like a hospital operating room). Oliver had just introduced the Elite II and had graciously agreed to allow me to tow one around town. At the time, I had just sold a Scamp 19 which I desperately wanted to replace. My ownership experience with the Scamp had been very trying on my patience, and I did not like the bed at all. My tow vehicle was a 2012 F-150 with 3.5 L V6 EcoBoost, rated to tow @ 12,500 lbs, even more than Ford’s V8. When towing the Scamp at 60 MPH on the interstates, if I punched it, the 3.5 would pin me back in the seat and accelerate to 75 mph quite literally in a heartbeat.
When Oliver hooked their trailer to my F-150, it’s added weight was immediately noticeable. The “zip” experienced with the Scamp was not there, and punching it did produce an increase in speed, but over a slower time. Obviously, added weight has an effect on fuel efficiency. I pulled into an empty gas station to check maneuverability. The added length was definitely detrimental to a degree (though manageable, just not as convenient. My final test was backing into a “perceived campsite” in a parking lot. Because the Scamp 19’s wheels are closer to the connection point it is essentially a short lever that swings rather quickly (very responsive to minor steering adjustments). The Oliver, being a bumper pull with a tongue positions the trailer wheels much further back makes it much easier to back as it is somewhat less responsive to steering adjustments. Anyone who has ever tried to back up a dump cart attached to a lawn tractor will understand this principle! Of course, over time, one learns the intricacies if backing any trailer. Bottom line however is that going from one trailer to another will result in different towing characteristics.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:52 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I know of no rule that states you must stay within the length of a private parking space.
You’re right of course. Private parking lots are governed by courtesy. Still, I would not call 2-4’ of overhang on both ends of a double parking spot “fitting” in any reasonable usage of the word. As long as you’re in a remote corner of the parking lot, it would not be discourteous.

However, not all places you might want to stop have such a location. Oversized vehicles and entitled drivers are a problem at our local shopping spots, so I guess I’m a bit sensitive on this subject.

Who drives a regular cab pickup any more?... [emoji6]
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:56 AM   #25

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Can-Am RV

An interesting site for those compelled to tow with marginal or under rated vehicles. https://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/ Not a clue if they are right about everything but their advice to replace P tires with LT is spot on, IME.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote