Towing method - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2019, 06:42 AM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Everything () you need to know about towing a camping trailer is covered in the classic guide to towing which was marketed as entertainment in a movie called The Long Long Trailer staring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz in 1954. Outside of some outdated technology, the information is still pertinent today. You can rent it on many online streaming services for about three dollars.

This will give you a taste:

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:03 PM   #22

Name: David
Trailer: Casita
New York
Towing Method

Interesting that Jon in AZ would mention a 2019 Ford Explorer. I tow our 2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe with a 2009 Chevy Trailblazer with a 4.2L engine. I had issues with the check engine light coming on when I was using regular unleaded fuel. I read an article, put out by Ford, that recommended that when towing with a Ford Explorer, use premium unleaded. I switched to mid-grade unleaded and the check engine light doesn't come on as often.

The service code that comes up is a lean engine code. The light usually comes on right after we fill up and get back on an interstate. Usually getting back on the highway, I have my foot to the floor and that's probably why it comes up with a lean code.

Any other time, when NOT towing, the light does not come on. Hope this opens some eyes and helps others realize the strain we are putting on our tow vehicles.
David Marowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:29 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That was completely random, David, just an example. I’ve never owned an Explorer. The new RWD 2020 Explorers look promising as tow vehicles, but there have been some concerning reports of glitches in the early production units.

We currently tow with a Pilot, which does not require premium gas for towing and has never thrown a code in eight years and 170K miles. It does have a lot of good general and vehicle-specific towing information in the owner’s manual, which is why I always suggest reading the manual before you purchase a vehicle, any vehicle.

It helps avoid unpleasant surprises, like having to spring for premium gas when towing.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:05 AM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marowski View Post
Interesting that Jon in AZ would mention a 2019 Ford Explorer. I tow our 2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe with a 2009 Chevy Trailblazer with a 4.2L engine. I had issues with the check engine light coming on when I was using regular unleaded fuel. I read an article, put out by Ford, that recommended that when towing with a Ford Explorer, use premium unleaded. I switched to mid-grade unleaded and the check engine light doesn't come on as often.

The service code that comes up is a lean engine code. The light usually comes on right after we fill up and get back on an interstate. Usually getting back on the highway, I have my foot to the floor and that's probably why it comes up with a lean code.

Any other time, when NOT towing, the light does not come on. Hope this opens some eyes and helps others realize the strain we are putting on our tow vehicles.
Have you considered something less than wide open throttle when accelerating with your trailer?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:28 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marowski View Post

Usually getting back on the highway, I have my foot to the floor

Hope this opens some eyes and helps others realize the strain we are putting on our tow vehicles.
The strain you put on your tug is entirely up to you. Yes, "foot to the floor" driving adds a lot of strain on things. It can also expose the need for higher octane fuel because the engine can start pinging under wide open throttle.

Premium fuel does not have more energy in it, it has more anti-knock additives to prevent pinging. Pinging is bad for the engine and will cause the computer to reduce the power to prevent damage. Sounds like your engine is warning you it needs premium fuel for "foot to the floor" driving.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ryan.

JEEP is a brand. What model is your Jeep.
I towed my 17' Casita SD 5 years with a Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel).

Have a new to me 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI with the DSG transmission and towing anything is not recommended. That's what my GMC Sierra is for.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Duplicate. please ignore.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Ryan.

JEEP is a brand. What model is your Jeep.
I towed my 17' Casita SD 5 years with a Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel).

Have a new to me 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI with the DSG transmission and towing anything is not recommended. That's what my GMC Sierra is for.
The hitch link posted by the OP appears to be for a Jeep Commander.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:23 PM   #29

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Lots of humorous replies here, I enjoyed them, but maybe not providing info to the OP.
I towed a Scamp 16 with a Suby Forester with a 2400lb tow rating. It worked but 35 mph up the mountains and need to drive only 55 mph most of the time was not fun. A Nissan V6 Frontier has no problems with tow rating about 3x the weight of the Scamp. My conclusion is if the trailer weight is 1/2 the tow rating of the TV then no worries. If the trailer gets close to the tow rating of the TV then you will have to be (extra) careful. Other tips are that backup and rear view cameras on the TV & trailer are worth it.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:57 PM   #30

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Tow rating you can trust?
There is a standard, and it's pretty robust. Toyota and Dodge, I believe, test their rating to this standard.
Our 4Runner with 5000# tow rating to this standard pulled our 17' Casita west up out of Laughlin, NV on an 85 degree day at 50 MPH without breaking a sweat. Coolant temp went from usual 184 to 193.
I'm sure all the manufacturers will assign ratings based on this soon. They watch each other's marketing closely.

SAE J2807 Tow Tests - The Standard

The article is about diesel PUs but it applies to all towing vehicles whose manufacturer chooses to test to it.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote