towing vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2021, 10:52 AM   #1

Name: darlene
Trailer: casita freedom
Oregon
towing vehicle

I have 2009 casita 17 ft deluxe . I figure the total wt of everything is about 4825. If i get a auto or car has a total towing wt of 5000 is that amount to close or should i get something around 6 or 7000 towing wt?

Thanks you
darlene vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Have you actually weighed that thing, or do you travel with a anvil collection and a rock collection?

One point to ponder is frontal area, Your Casita is FAR more aero than almost any stick built trailer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:43 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Looking in the "trailer weights in the real world" chart most 17 foot Casitas are in the 2800 to 3400 lb weight range, with a few close to 4000 lb. I prefer a large safety margin so tow ours with a full size pickup that has a tow rating of 8500 lb. The pickup also works good for the stuff we take with us, including two bikes at times. Tongue weight rating is also important as the Casita 17's can be around 450 lb on the tongue.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:51 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Loaded Casita 17’s average 3000-3200# loaded, based on the site database. If you are really at 4800# (which I doubt), you are well over the factory axle rating of 3500#. Unless your Casita is highly modified, double check the weight.

I suspect you’ll be fine with a 5000# rated vehicle. It’s what Casita recommends as a minimum. Some people with smaller vehicles find they get a better tow with a light duty weight distributing hitch to manage the 400-425# hitch weight of a typical Casita. The Anderson is a popular choice.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:04 PM   #5

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
You sure about that weight? Hard to believe you are anywhere near that weight. As for a tow vehicle......bigger is always better in my opinion. Not sure where you plan to go.....but having some extra power in mountains or while passing is very helpful. A few extra pounds of towing capacity is also nice to have. Mileage wise......I suspect you'll do better with some additional power......I know I do. Good luck....have fun.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #6

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlene vogel View Post
I have 2009 casita 17 ft deluxe . I figure the total wt of everything is about 4825. If i get a auto or car has a total towing wt of 5000 is that amount to close or should i get something around 6 or 7000 towing wt?

Thanks you
4825 lbs. seems to me to be more than a 17 ft. deluxe Casita would weigh, though I have no first hand experience with this model.
I tow just under 3000 lbs. with a Cherokee having a 5000# rating or 60% of the vehicle tow rating. However, three thousand pounds approaches the total vehicle weight of a Jeep Cherokee with 2 doors and 2 wheel drive. I would not feel comfortable towing more with this vehicle. Perhaps other vehicles may have a different towing personality.
Another thread similar to your question was posted recently and was very informative.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
You sure about that weight? Hard to believe you are anywhere near that weight. As for a tow vehicle......bigger is always better in my opinion. Not sure where you plan to go.....but having some extra power in mountains or while passing is very helpful. A few extra pounds of towing capacity is also nice to have. Mileage wise......I suspect you'll do better with some additional power......I know I do. Good luck....have fun.
Like this?
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #8

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Like this?
That would work but would piss off the guy in the next camp spot......especially if you honked the horn!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #9

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Check the door sticker for payload. That can limit your choices even if under the towing limit.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 01:13 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Check the door sticker for payload. That can limit your choices even if under the towing limit.
Yeah, it is only a single road frame, and no program on the DDEC.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:53 AM   #11

Name: Gary & Jona
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II
Florida
Remember the load you want to take along as well in tow vechicle and the people they all add up to the total gross weight as well. second if you do a lot of western mountain driving do u want to be with the trucks on the right side or keep up with traffic. all in your decision making good luck.
Old 12-15-2021, 12:58 PM   #12

Name: Brad
Trailer: Interested
Montana
I love how people post a question and never answer back. I think the semi should work. I would buy nothing smaller.
Montana Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:41 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Loaded Casita 17’s average 3000-3200# loaded, based on the site database.

I suspect you’ll be fine with a 5000# rated vehicle. It’s what Casita recommends as a minimum. Some people with smaller vehicles find they get a better tow with a light duty weight distributing hitch to manage the 400-425# hitch weight of a typical Casita. The Anderson is a popular choice.
All good info, I have sold my 17 SD Casita.
But notice that 5000# rated vehicle is a MINIMUM recommended. I had a Jeep Liberty that had a 5400# rating as I remember and it was lacking power and not relaxing to drive. Auto makers are sometimes over generous on their ratings. A SAE rating method was developed, see here.
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ned-tech-dept/
A full size half ton standard duty domestic truck makes a good towing vehicle and has room for "stuff" that seems to grow. The last truck I towed with is my 2017 GMC Sierra double cab with 5.3L V8 engine that AVERAGED 19-20 MPG towing.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:45 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
The last truck I towed with is my 2017 GMC Sierra double cab with 5.3L V8 engine that AVERAGED 19-20 MPG towing.
YMMV?
Old 12-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #15

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Two ton tow?

First off it is difficult wrap my mind around the weight you give. If the dry trailer starts out just under 2500# then all your people, liquids and gear are just over 2300# ??? I'd agree with those answering before, something is amiss with the calculations here.

I was using a GMC Envoy with 6600# rating moving me and all my gear from Florida to Michigan and back. That combination always went smoothly. Now I have a Dodge Durango V6 AWD rated at 6200# that pulls the 17 SD every bit as well and gets better mileage.

However, you may be on a proper track thinking of a larger capacity TV if you and your family have not had much experience camping in a 17 foot trailer. If there is any concern that you may be looking at larger accommodations in the future a greater tow capacity now will facilitate a later upgrade.

Good luck wherever your decision takes you.
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:03 PM   #16

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
We have a 2020 Casita Deluxe and tow with a 2018 Honda Pilot AWD that is rated for 5K. With over 9K miles this year, going from AZ to WA and AZ to VA, all was well, no problems stopping or going over hills, just need to be reasonable on the steep grades.
Moyza Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:50 PM   #17

Name: Babs
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Brad View Post
I love how people post a question and never answer back. I think the semi should work. I would buy nothing smaller.
I suspect that there are bored people out there who are just jerking our chains and not sincerely seeking information. They must be bored. Towing vehicles are ALWaYs a hotly debated issue and everyone jumps in and then arguments start. Great entertainment
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:17 AM   #18

Oregon
Thanks to all i
Old 12-16-2021, 08:27 AM   #19

Oregon
Thanks to all . How i figure 4850 was 2450 wt and 375 tongue . I read to add about. The rest of the weight was for poeple, dog and camping stuff.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #20

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlene vogel View Post
Thanks to all . How i figure 4850 was 2450 wt and 375 tongue . I read to add about. The rest of the weight was for poeple, dog and camping stuff.
People and dog do not ride in the trailer. They are part of the maximum towing capacity of the tow vehicle. https://www.generalrv.com/tow-guides
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote