Towing with a duramax - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-02-2020, 12:45 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Towing with a duramax

I no longer own a fiberglass camper, got a Geo Pro 19BH but I stuck around anyway

The camper is 3,100lbs.

I was towing it with a Nissan Quest (6 cylinder) rated to pull 3,500lbs and at speeds of about 60mph I would average 11mpg on relatively flat terrain.

I just traded in the mini van for a GMC canyon SLT with the 2.8-liter Duramax turbo-diesel four-cylinder engine.

I bought the truck used for 28K and it had 45,000 miles on it. It has a built in brake controller and also has an exhaust brake.

Fuel economy towing at 60mph with the exact same trailer on the exact same trip was 15.5mpg.

The exhaust brake feels like the truck is downshifting when it kicks in but it is very smooth. The truck is extremely quiet even compared to the minivan and if I'm not towing on that same drive I'll get about 36mpg.

It rides like a big truck and it sounds like a big truck when you start it up. I'm very happy with it and I like the interior much better than a Ranger but it is also a lot more money!

Only problem is now that we have a vehicle that can pull 7,700lbs the wife wants a bigger camper
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Congratulations on your new tow vehicle . I hope it serves you well !!
I personally think you made a very wise choice .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
I no longer own a fiberglass camper, got a Geo Pro 19BH but I stuck around anyway

The camper is 3,100lbs.

I was towing it with a Nissan Quest (6 cylinder) rated to pull 3,500lbs and at speeds of about 60mph I would average 11mpg on relatively flat terrain.

I just traded in the mini van for a GMC canyon SLT with the 2.8-liter Duramax turbo-diesel four-cylinder engine.

I bought the truck used for 28K and it had 45,000 miles on it. It has a built in brake controller and also has an exhaust brake.

Fuel economy towing at 60mph with the exact same trailer on the exact same trip was 15.5mpg.

The exhaust brake feels like the truck is downshifting when it kicks in but it is very smooth. The truck is extremely quiet even compared to the minivan and if I'm not towing on that same drive I'll get about 36mpg.

It rides like a big truck and it sounds like a big truck when you start it up. I'm very happy with it and I like the interior much better than a Ranger but it is also a lot more money!

Only problem is now that we have a vehicle that can pull 7,700lbs the wife wants a bigger camper

I'm very happy with my Colorado with the same engine and towing package. I was a bit worried about towing the 21RB Bigfoot with it but so far it's handled everything I've thrown at it. I'm not zipping up the Grapevine at 70mph of course, but I think it tows just fine. Of course this is the first travel trailer (or anything else) I've ever towed so maybe I'm just too naive to realize it's not doing a good job?
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #4

Name: Justus
Trailer: Hymer Touring GT
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
I'm very happy with my Colorado with the same engine and towing package. I was a bit worried about towing the 21RB Bigfoot with it but so far it's handled everything I've thrown at it. I'm not zipping up the Grapevine at 70mph of course, but I think it tows just fine. Of course this is the first travel trailer (or anything else) I've ever towed so maybe I'm just too naive to realize it's not doing a good job?
I was thinking the baby Duramax might be a good fit for a 21' Bigfoot, without being a pain to drive around the city (without the trailer of course). Glad to see it's working out for someone. I've been poking around the Duramax forums and people seem overall very happy with this engine.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:21 PM   #5

Name: Scott
Arizona
That exhaust brake is GOLD. I have a full sized Duramax and never tow without it on. Save those pads!
Tightline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #6

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
I have a 2007 Duramax Classic. I don’t have the exhaust brake but in tow mode going downhill all I need to do is tap the brakes and it downshifts holding speed very consistently. I can shift the trans to manual mode and shift up/down. Sounds like the exhaust brake is something I’d like to experience.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:51 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead517 View Post
I have a 2007 Duramax Classic. I donít have the exhaust brake but in tow mode going downhill all I need to do is tap the brakes and it downshifts holding speed very consistently. I can shift the trans to manual mode and shift up/down. Sounds like the exhaust brake is something Iíd like to experience.

The exhaust brake does that, the transmission automatically downshifts. In the mean time the vanes of the turbo automatically angle themselves to create additional back pressure which will helps reduce and hold the speed.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #8

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1974 Hunter Compact II & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Go Big Go Home!

If Momma ain't Happy Your Not Happy!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #9

Name: Hal
Trailer: looking
New Mexico
Quote:
I have a 2007 Duramax Classic. I donít have the exhaust brake but in tow mode going downhill all I need to do is tap the brakes and it downshifts holding speed very consistently. I can shift the trans to manual mode and shift up/down. Sounds like the exhaust brake is something Iíd like to experience.
The exhaust brake hardware is already in your truck with the Variable Vane Turbo. The software to enable it can be installed by the dealer or by a knowledgeable aftermarket dealer if it isn't now installed. Some of the earlier LBZ's needed a minor wiring change but nothing exotic. Great system on the DMax.
HalStClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:04 AM   #10

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2020 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Texas
Quote:
I have a 2005 2500HD with the Duramax and Allison tranny. When you are in tow mode, your ďJake BrakeĒ is engaged. If you touch the brake pedal, it will start downshifting and if the vehicle declines to preset speeds, it will start downshifting. If not in tow mode, it will not downshift the same.
Go out and try it in both modes. You donít have to be hooked to anything to put it in tow mode to see the difference.
West Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Texan View Post
I have a 2005 2500HD with the Duramax and Allison tranny. When you are in tow mode, your ďJake BrakeĒ is engaged. If you touch the brake pedal, it will start downshifting and if the vehicle declines to preset speeds, it will start downshifting. If not in tow mode, it will not downshift the same.
Go out and try it in both modes. You donít have to be hooked to anything to put it in tow mode to see the difference.

When I'm not in tow mode, it still downshifts when I tap the brakes going down a long grade. When in tow mode it's much more aggressive.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:50 AM   #12

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
You got yourself a good truck...congrats. It is amazing what these newer trucks can do. A few months ago....I got rid of my 2003 Chevy 2500HD with a 6.0/4.10 rear because it was just time. It was a good truck but mileage was bad....13/14 when not towing....11 when towing. I bought a new 2019 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi....3.92 rear....4x4...crew cab and tow package.....I am getting 21/22 mpg on the highway when not towing....and 15/16 when towing. We tow a 17ft Casita. I also tow a car trailer at times. Impressed with the new truck.....I can to 11,600 lbs...which I never do.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:55 PM   #13

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
As I understand a true Jake or exhaust brake holds the exhaust valve open to bleed power production by the engine. The Duramax exhaust brake tunes the turbo vanes to (in concert with the downshift) is more accurately compression braking. Am I missing something here?
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote