Trailer and component weighing question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul
Trailer and component weighing question

A question for Frederick - The Scaleman or anyone who knows something about weight scales.

I would like to get a scale that I could weigh things that I put into my trailer as well as possible weighing the entire trailer.

I have been looking at this scale: McMaster-Carr , Digital Bench Scales
with Remote Display, 400# capacity.

Using a beam and support, I could double the "capacity" and weigh one wheel at a time with an accuracy of 3# (if the description is to be trusted).

I can afford that price but don't really want to spend much more than that right now.

Would I be wasting my money? Are there better scales for the money?

I want something better, more rugged, more accurate than my $15 bathroom scale but not sure what might work best for me.

Any input is most appreciated.

Craig T.
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig D. Thompson View Post
A question for Frederick - The Scaleman or anyone who knows something about weight scales.

I would like to get a scale that I could weigh things that I put into my trailer as well as possible weighing the entire trailer.

Using a beam and support, I could double the "capacity" and weigh one wheel at a time with an accuracy of 3# (if the description is to be trusted).

I can afford that price but don't really want to spend much more than that right now.

I want something better, more rugged, more accurate than my $15 bathroom scale but not sure what might work best for me.

Craig T.
Frederick uses something to weigh trailers. He may have some ideas for you.

I use a public scale. One of the big moving companies that were recommended by my auto dealership. I've weighed the trailer with just the barest of gear. Then I brought it back a couple of times as I added stuff.

It costs under $10: lots less money than a scale you may not use all that much.

Just a thought ...
Old 11-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Craig T.
You don't say what part of the world you live in. Here in Oregon the truck scales owned by the DOT are always active. If they're not weighing trucks you can pull in and weigh your trailer. Otherwise many truck stops have scales that for $10 to $15 you can get your trailer weighed.
So I see very little benefit to owning scales to weigh my trailer. It's weight is going to vary a bit with food and water changes. In my case I've weighed the trailer several times and it's always between 1,600 and 1,750. I'm happy with that.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:

I want something better, more rugged, more accurate than my $15 bathroom scale
This one? Click image for larger version

Name:	17295t31c1l.png
Views:	10
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	41125

Are there better scales...
...for the money?

The weighing platform part of that one is the exactly the same as your $15 bathroom scale.
The difference in price is just the additional separate electronic display circuitry. This one is commonly used by small businesses for UPS shipping. It is engineered primarily to meet the price point, and oh by the way is just close enough to keep you out of trouble with UPS. We technicians in the business call it a "Throw away" scale. It works until it doesn't, then you throw it away and get another one. It is accurate to within a pound or so, and that should be good enough for your purpose.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Frederick uses something to weigh trailers. He may have some ideas for you.
I use a pair of these 
Name:   Intercomp-PT300.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  39.3 KB

They are built to do the job, and are required by law to be accurate to within one graduation (20 Lb) or 0.1% of the applied weight, whichever is greater. They are essentially portable truck scales and give the same reading as if you use a public scale.

They cost $1,500.00 USD each and usually come in sets of 4.
Like all commercial scales, they need regular maintenance and adjustment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1082.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	41129 Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1083.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	41130
Old 11-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #6

Yes Frederick, that is the one. Sounds like I could accomplish my weighing tasks with a much less expensive bathroom scale? If the platform is the same, does that mean the accuracy is the same for the inexpensive bathroom scale?

Is there a brand or source for "better" bathroom scales? (Rugged, reliable,??)

Craig T.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Hydraulic tongue scale

I bought this hydraulic tongue scale several years ago and like it. Resolution is sufficient. A couple of times I used it to measure each end of an axle by placing it on the hydraulic jack below leaf spring but it is not as clean measurement as digital readout from scale under the wheel.
Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - 2,000-lb Capacity Sherline Tools 5780
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #8

Byron,

I though that I had "South Eastern Pennsylvania" in my info but it was not. Should be now. Yes, weighing the entire trailer is a secondary desire. Weighing bits and pieces is the primary task.

There is a recycling facility near me that agreed to let me weigh the trailer on their scale. Not sure how accurate it will be if it is set up for really big trucks loaded with concrete.

Craig T.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Byron,

I though that I had "South Eastern Pennsylvania" in my info but it was not. Should be now. Yes, weighing the entire trailer is a secondary desire. Weighing bits and pieces is the primary task.

There is a recycling facility near me that agreed to let me weigh the trailer on their scale. Not sure how accurate it will be if it is set up for really big trucks loaded with concrete.

Craig T.
I guess I don't understand why ±100 lbs would be a concern or even ±200 lbs. I would expect that the trailer weight would change by 100 lbs over a week to 2 week camping trip.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I guess I don't understand why ±100 lbs would be a concern or even ±200 lbs. I would expect that the trailer weight would change by 100 lbs over a week to 2 week camping trip.
In the grand scheme, maybe not.

Probably just the helicopter engineer in me that needs to track weight and balance very closely!

Craig T.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Craig,
I have owned that exact same $400 scale. Used it for shipping in a business I owned. The advantage is that you can set large boxes on it, and still read it. That is the reason I bought it. It can take a little more abuse than a bath scale, but you don't need it. It's no more accurate than a good bath scale. The newer digital bath scales are quite accurate. They will last a long time if you are reasonably careful. Even if they don't, so what? $25 bucks will get you another one. Make a beam/fulcrum device for the heavy loads and use it directly for smaller ones. I think the best you can ever do on a trailer weight is +/- 50 pounds. You've got propane level and water level which can top that easily. Make sure you have something solid and flat to set the scale on and load it gently. Just the fact that you are weighing anything puts you light years ahead of most people.
David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Yes Frederick, that is the one. Sounds like I could accomplish my weighing tasks with a much less expensive bathroom scale?
Umm... no...if you are talking about a mechanical dial/pointer type of bathroom scale. All a cheap bathroom scale has to do is be consistent. The key here is can it be adjusted for better accuracy? A mere bathroom scale cannot.

That UPS scale can be adjusted for accuracy. It is probably your better choice given your purchase budget. It is a common business scale, and about as precise as you'd ever need; all it has to do is be within a pound or so to keep UPS happy. I've seen a lot of these in service for a long time as long as they're moderately used.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Probably just the helicopter engineer in me that needs to track weight and balance very closely!
I understand that. My own desire for precision got me into the weights and measures industry as a career. Your experience with helicopters required your quest for precision. A travel Trailer? Not so much. It's all a matter of scale.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #14

Frederick,

I was picking up on your comment that "The weighing platform part of that one is the exactly the same as your $15 bathroom scale". So that a bathroom scale built on that platform would have the same specs, just not a separate display.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
So that a bathroom scale built on that platform would have the same specs, just not a separate display.
The physics of the display matters as much as the sensing platform does, in producing the end result.
The mechanical bathroom scale is kind of like watching an HDTV broadcast on a 1960 Philco cathode ray tube.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #16

Ah, I see now. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us!

Craig T.

Tags
weighing