Trailer B&E - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #1

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Trailer B&E

I've not had time this year to go to my trailer till this week.
First thing I noticed was the TV was missing then noticed the blind over the sink missing and could see where they were torn out.
the screen was cut open and the lock broken on the window with water damage on the wall all along it the board behind the covering is rotted.

I did some checking with others and heard there were break-ins back in March.
I filed a police report more due to the damage to my trailer. First thing the police said was we may have your TV in our property room, we charged a guy for B&E's and got the TV just didn't know who owned it now we can lay another charge and you get your TV back.
Also lost a shortwave radio no luck with that. Now its just a question of how much its going to cost to repair the damage as the wall around the sink will need to be replaced.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I realize that this horse has already left the barn, but I hope some of our other readers that use storage facilities start finding time to check on their trailers while being stored.

More than one owner has gone back to check an RV and either found it burglarized or even gone.

Unless you can easily afford to lose it, at least 2 visits a month seem a good idea, even if only to be able to close it up and prevent further damage.

And, because some of these perps are "insiders", if the facility knows that you are a checker, they will be more apt to leave yours alone.

Some might remember my story of buying an Airstream Bambi that turned out to be stolen (a very inside job) and the actual owner hadn't checked up on it in years. They just paid the rent every month and figured it was safe.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #3

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I would have the officer file charges for damage to property. When it goes to court provide an written estimate for repairs to the screen, window and including water damage due to the B&E. Let the court make the scumbag pay restitution. Been in Law Enforcement for 29 1/2 years. I use to do this all the time. Good Luck.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #4

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
True Bob

Mine is now moved close to home so I can keep an eye on it.
With all the owners up there not one person put an email out about the problem yet someone closed the window at some point.

Good thing I have insurance that should cover the damage but I'm still going to be out the deductible.

papa-t up here the insurance company will seek to recover damages.
The police did note the damage.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Mr. Scumbag usually doesn't have any assets anyway.

The Bernie Maddows (sp) of the world usually aren't the ones doing petty crimes.

And that's one of the reasons I have insurance.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
That is very frustrating Daniel, I feel for you especially now you have damage as well to deal with.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote