Trailer comparison? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Trailer comparison?

Does anyone know of a site that has an unbiased comparison of types of trailers including teardrop, tent trailer, and fiberglass like ours? (I remember one somewhere that compared heights but that's all.)

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
You might take a look at this site, and check out if folks feel membership is a good value since it cost $139 with $28 annual renewal. The sample report looked like a decent review format.

RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs

This page has a lot of links to sites with information on purchase/compare of rv's don't know if these will lead you to what you seek.

RV Buyer's Advice and Beginner's Guides

The other thing is to ask your questions here. I would say a majority of the members have some experience with other campers besides FG so if you had a type or model they might be able to help. Or find the forums for that brand and ask questions.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #3

Registry
it's not for me, it is for someone else. I already gave him my biased opinion! But I do remember something discussing various garageable options and now I can't find that.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Does anyone know of a site that has an unbiased comparison of types of trailers including teardrop, tent trailer, and fiberglass like ours? (I remember one somewhere that compared heights but that's all.)

Bobbie
You make the assumption that a person can gain enough knowledge to have an opinion without developing a bias.
Objectively... do you think that's possible?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #5

Registry
I think we have more bias once we commit to a type of trailer than we do when researching them!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I think we have more bias once we commit to a type of trailer than we do when researching them!
That's my point.
Either... "I bought it because it's the best"... or... "It's the best because I bought it!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #7

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Bobbie, the only site I found when I was looking reviews the new trailers.

Small travel trailers - Roaming Times

The bill themselves as RV reviews. They have an extensive list of the new trailers.

Teri
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #8

Registry
Thanks, Teri. He probably won't buy new but that's a good starting point.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You make the assumption that a person can gain enough knowledge to have an opinion without developing a bias.
Objectively... do you think that's possible?
well see floyd,,theres your problem,,,,i go right ahead and develope my oppinions right away,,, knowledge just slows down the proccess.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
People tend to say good things about what they bought regardless of what the unbiased Consumers Reports has to say about it.

Unbiased Testing just gets in the way.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Sort of like that Seinfeld skit where he asks if anybody has ever heard someone say that they have the worst doctor.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Each type of trailer has forums devoted to them. A few hours reading is usually all it takes to get an idea of the pros and cons. Or as was suggested, ask here. Most of us wandered in the desert before we arrived here. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #13

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Premises create bias. Spose you're looking for a camping trailer that's a bit over the hill. You've looked at a lot of chicken coops and the ones marked Boler are sort of still there and keeping out the weather and the Shastas have wracked and fallen over like an old barn. Your premise: you can't afford any better but you want the best you can get. You develop a bias toward "glass."

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
People tend to say good things about what they bought regardless of what the unbiased Consumers Reports has to say about it.

Unbiased Testing just gets in the way.
I think you have picked a bad example... Consumer Reports is a laughingly biased publication.The more you know about any product, the less you will trust them!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I agree completely! The only positive thing I can say about CR is that it is (usually) better than Consumers Digest!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Comparisons

A couple of good things about Consumer Reports is that they run no ads and buy all product they test from a retailer. They, like all reviewers have quirks, and positions, but nothing like the Nightly News. CR usually lets you know where they are coming from....I am not a subscriber.

If one wants a trailer comparison, all fiberglass trailer owners and prospective owners should take the opportunity to visit a fiberglass rally. One can learn a lot in a day or two by just by walking around, meeting friendly people, and questioning and listening. These rallies are everywhere, this year we've been to one in PEI, TX and OR with WI a possibility.

I am always amazed when a Fiberglass Trailer owner asks me how come your trailer's so shiny or what year is that Scamp, not believing its a '91. SO many try to figure out the world fiberglass world alone when this marvelous site exists.

For me, I think it hardly mattered which brand I bought, other then it had to be Honda towable. This year we've made an 11 month loop in our Scamp 16, previously made a 10 month loop in a stick built Sunline 15.5. Both trips were wonderful. The real difference was that we got 3 mpg better mileage with the heavier Scamp.

The fun of traveling, of being on the road is primary, not if my bed is 4" wider, or if I have one more drawer, or if.....

Now we love our Scamp. It is a better rig than our Sunline, mostly because the Scamp never leaks. However the fun quotient with both Rigs was very high.

Of course one should buy what most nearly fits their budget and needs, but it's the journey..... or should I say journies

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote