Trailer Dolly - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2020, 04:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
Trailer Dolly

I’m looking to find something that will allow me to move my Scamp 16’ deluxe, by myself, to a spot at home that is impossible to reach with the tow vehicle. It’s flat and all concrete or pavers, but has a turn or two and a tight squeeze between house and garage. Had considered the Trailer Valet 5x, but with dual propane tanks, there is nowhere to mount the bracket. I have also considered the trailer valet XL, but I may not have enough tongue weight for it to work properly. So, I am now considering the Tow Tuff electric trailer dolly.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...500etd-1570183

Does anyone have any experience with the TV XL or this electric dolly? Or any thoughts/suggestions?

I do have a manual dolly, but the trailer is too heavy for me to move it by myself. When I had my 13’ I could manage it, but not with this trailer. I don’t know if a beefier manual dolly would make a difference or if the weight would still be too much for me.
Cheryl C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:37 AM   #2

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Cheaper and better options available. 1. Front hitch on your truck. 2. Small riding lawn mower with a front and rear hitch. 3. Rototiller with the tines removed and a ball mounted.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:34 AM   #3

I love cheaper!

I considered a front hitch on the truck, but the truck won't fit through the tight squeeze between house and garage so I've ruled that out.

The lawn tractor would be great, but really would I find one that works and costs less? Whatever I buy has to be ready to go and not need modifying or repair.

Roto tiller is a complete new one to me.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:13 PM   #4

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Good used riding mowers are on Craigslist for 200 or so. Then u have a dual purpose machine. Grass mow and trailer tow.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
JMS

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Registry
Trailer dollies

You can use a manual trailer dolly or use a powered one like the one I have
https://parkit360.ca/
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #6

Yes, the Parkit looks great. I'm thinking about the Tow Tuff Electric Dolly which is less expensive, no brakes, and I'm sure is not as nice as the Parkit. But, I'm thinking for my situation, it might be good enough.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:20 PM   #7

Name: Ethan
Trailer: 2019 Parkliner
New York
Trailer dollies

e-trailer Extreme Off-Road Ratcheting Trailer Jack w/ Wheel - Sidewind - 10" Lift - 770 lbs - Zinc
Item # ORJW1SU Might work for some trailers? They do have other sizes. Ethan
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #8

That's an interesting device. I'm not so sure it would work for me as I don't think I have the space on the tongue to mount it. I was going to get a Trailer Valet 5X initially until I realized I didn't have the space to mount the bracket. Also, I've got to maneuver the trailer about 50' which might not be a match for this. But, it looks like a great piece of equipment. Thanks for alerting me to it!
Old 10-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #9

Name: Ethan
Trailer: 2019 Parkliner
New York
Trailer dollies

I do not have space on the front of trailer. I was thinking about mounting on rear of trailer into receiver . Mount on tubing so that whole unit could be removed when not needed. You would have to raise front of trailer with trailer jack to put pressure on dolly wheel for traction. Just thinking. Good luck,let use know what ends up working for you. Ethan
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:04 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler
Registry
For my 17' Bigfoot I tried modifying my snow blower to move it but it did not work very well. I welded up a dolly to move it in the driveway and it worked well. To get mine in the back yard I bought a used John Deere rider. The tonque is a little heavy for it so I had to put weights on the front so I could steer.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:52 AM   #11

Interesting idea to try to rig the snowblower to move the trailer. Too bad it didn't work.