Trailer for three adults with more than 6 ft headroom - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #21

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmarsh View Post
For a trailer my preference is:

1st choice: 3 twin beds - there seem to be very few of these (if any) in trailers with > 6 ft headroom. I've been searching and haven't found any. Maybe one of the escapes could be configured that way. I've been looking and haven't found anything like that out there (both here and on the escape owners forum).

2nd choice 1 twin and a queen bed
What I don't like about this option is having to crawl over someone to get the the bathroom AND most have the twin right next to the queen - no separation.

The escape 5.0 TA would be great for my needs but the pin load pretty much requires a full size truck which I don't want to buy. The colorado/canyon would do it if willing to pay extreme attention to payload because it would be cutting it close with a passenger in every seat of the truck.
Hi: jrmarsh... We have an Escape 5.0TA and pull with a V6 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab.(1100 # cargo cap.) Dry pin wt. is 600# with propane tanks full and fresh water on board.
Combo works very well. You could request two twins in the loft rather than the full sized queen. The dinette makes into an 80+" long double bed size, and we put a shower spring rod with a curtain on it for privacy.
Head room over 7' at the base of the loft steps 6'4" at dinette table.
We travel with our 30 something daughter some times!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030641.jpg   P1030690.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
You could request two twins in the loft rather than the full sized queen.
I'm not sure I see an advantage to that for a couple, you still crawl out the side/bottom of the bed either way don't you?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: jrmarsh... We have an Escape 5.0TA and pull with a V6 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab.(1100 # cargo cap.) Dry pin wt. is 600# with propane tanks full and fresh water on board.
Combo works very well. You could request two twins in the loft rather than the full sized queen. The dinette makes into an 80+" long double bed size, and we put a shower spring rod with a curtain on it for privacy.
Head room over 7' at the base of the loft steps 6'4" at dinette table.
We travel with our 30 something daughter some times!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Thanks. The escape 5th wheel is ideal for me as is.

However, load a crew cab mid size truck up with 4 passengers and most of the mid sized trucks don't have enough remaining payload. If you have only two passengers it should work. I will have 3 to 4 middle aged adults. The weight of 4 adults who are all overweight is about 700 lbs in my case. Truck weigh only makes an allowance for a 150 lb driver and no other passengers. So my passenger will reduce the payload by 550 lbs.
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I'm not sure I see an advantage to that for a couple, you still crawl out the side/bottom of the bed either way don't you?
There are some folks that prefer to sleep separate for their own reasons. Not me, snuggling is how you warm the bed up in cold weather, right?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:12 AM   #25

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
jrmarsh.....

I can't believe this discussion's come this far without a Casita loyalist posting! I suggest that a Casita travel trailer....one of the 17" (3 varieties available) ones....may be exactly what you want. My 2007 model....purchased used in 2013....is holding up quite nicely with at least 30,000 of my miles. To view choices, go to .... http://casitatraveltrailers.com/ ...

For discussions of others' Casita experiences, improvements, etc., you could visit the ... www.casitaclub.com/ or also www.casitaforum.com/ .

Hope to meet you down the road.

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
For a trailer my preference is:

1st choice: 3 twin beds - there seem to be very few of these (if any) in trailers with > 6 ft headroom. I've been searching and haven't found any. Maybe one of the escapes could be configured that way. I've been looking and haven't found anything like that out there (both here and on the escape owners forum).

2nd choice 1 twin and a queen bed
What I don't like about this option is having to crawl over someone to get the the bathroom AND most have the twin right next to the queen - no separation.

I do not recall having seen a fibreglass trailer with a twin right next to the double/queen bed as described in 2nd choice.

Most have the large bed at one end and the dining table at the other (or on the side of the trailer) that drops down for the additional bed. This is what you will find in the Escape 19' and 21'
Attached Thumbnails
21EscapeFloorPlan-2016.jpg   19EscapeFloorPlan-2016-1024x658.jpg  

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #27

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
A Parkliner with the bunk option would suit your needs very well. 6'5" ceilings, bunk will accommodate a 6" adult, and the main bed is queen size, bathroom with shower. It's a really nice trailer and less pricey than Oliver or Escape. And not too far from you.
It's the only FB TT that my grandson can stand up straight in.

Walt
Old 04-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #28

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I do not recall having seen a fibreglass trailer with a twin right next to the double/queen bed as described in 2nd choice.

Most have the large bed at one end and the dining table at the other (or on the side of the trailer) that drops down for the additional bed. This is what you will find in the Escape 19' and 21'
Almost all of the queen beds I have seen except the 5.0 Escape have the queen bed length oriented side to side which means if you get up in the middle of the night you have to crawl over the other person to get out of bed. The queen in the escape 21 oriented forward/aft but in a practical sense you have to crawl around to get out if you're the person closest to to wall.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #29

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
A Parkliner with the bunk option would suit your needs very well. 6'5" ceilings, bunk will accommodate a 6" adult, and the main bed is queen size, bathroom with shower. It's a really nice trailer and less pricey than Oliver or Escape. And not too far from you.
It's the only FB TT that my grandson can stand up straight in.

Walt
It might. It is difficult for me to envision what the space is using their website. It looks like the radius of the wall on both sides at the back of the trailer shortens the bed a good bit. Everyone in my family is tall. Its impossible to tell from their diagram just how much sleeping headroom space those curved walls remove. Same applies to the bunks.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #30

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.F.Y. View Post
jrmarsh.....

I can't believe this discussion's come this far without a Casita loyalist posting! I suggest that a Casita travel trailer....one of the 17" (3 varieties available) ones....may be exactly what you want. My 2007 model....purchased used in 2013....is holding up quite nicely with at least 30,000 of my miles. To view choices, go to .... http://casitatraveltrailers.com/ ...

For discussions of others' Casita experiences, improvements, etc., you could visit the ... www.casitaclub.com/ or also www.casitaforum.com/ .

Hope to meet you down the road.

Frank
Thanks. I've already been to their website. I found nothing with 3 twin beds and also no trailers there with a queen and one twin. Maybe I missed it but I have checked there several times and see nothing that has either of my preferred sleeping arrangements.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #31

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
It might. It is difficult for me to envision what the space is using their website. It looks like the radius of the wall on both sides at the back of the trailer shortens the bed a good bit. Everyone in my family is tall. Its impossible to tell from their diagram just how much sleeping headroom space those curved walls remove. Same applies to the bunks.
The new ownership is very responsive. I sent them an email last evening and there was a very personal response waiting for me this morning. I suggest a phone call or email with your questions.

Walt
Old 04-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #32

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
The queen in the escape 21 oriented forward/aft but in a practical sense you have to crawl around to get out if you're the person closest to to wall.
Aside from my Scamp I have a SOB trailer with the queen bed oriented much the same at the 21 Escape and while as you say you do need to do a bit of crawling to get out off the end it is much better than actually having to crawl over another party.

I think you will find that in order to get a large bed that you do not need to do some type of crawling - either over a party or crawl out the end, you are going to have to go to a much larger heavier trailer - such as the Escape 5th wheel or the Bigfoot 25'. But as you have indicated you are not wanting to have to purchase a larger capacity tow vehicle then those both would be out as well.

I suspect that most of us have started out with a check list of all the things we think we want/need when we first start looking at trailers but realize quickly that unless you have very deep pockets and are willing to purchase a new tow vehicle as well, we need to make a few adjustments to our got to have list.

Its always best to go and sit in all the trailers you are considering as just sitting in them will often result in a strong mind set change - either to the good or to the bad. I know before I purchased my Scamp I thought that one particular fibreglass trailer was the one I really had to have - after I sat in it for 5 min. I realized that it was not at all what I had thought it would feel like inside and started looking at other options. Same with the recent purchase of my SOB - thought I know what size and layout I had to have but changed my mind once I sat in what I though would be my dream layout.

Most manufactures have an owner referral system that if you call them and tell them what model you want to see they will put you in contact with someone close to you who has the same trailer to show you.

Alternatively attend one of the Fiberglass trailer meets where you will often get to see a very wide range of trailers both in make and layout.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
...I suspect that most of us have started out with a check list of all the things we think we want/need when we first start looking at trailers but realize quickly that unless you have very deep pockets and are willing to purchase a new tow vehicle as well, we need to make a few adjustments to our got to have list.

Its always best to go and sit in all the trailers you are considering as just sitting in them will often result in a strong mind set change...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #34

Registry
As Carol kinda alluded to, most of these trailers care some sort of compromise, there is no way to fit perfection into a small sized trailer. We do have to choose what is most important, and that differs for every last one of us.

Another consideration, especially if buying new, is that these moulded fibreglass trailers will outlast a few tow vehicles. If at all possible, it is better to define what you need for a trailer, and match a tow vehicle to that, though I know often it is not a financially feasible plan.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #35

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Another consideration, especially if buying new, is that these moulded fibreglass trailers will outlast a few tow vehicles.
This is exactly why buying a fifth wheel would make me nervous. Truck manufactures have changed their box dimensions to the point that older campers, and fifth wheels no longer are compatible.

Bumper pull trailers are less susceptible to this.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #36

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Truck manufactures have changed their box dimensions to the point that older campers, and fifth wheels no longer are compatible.
I totally agree and not just because of a 5th wheel. Sure would like to meet the bozo that decided higher bed rails were a great idea. Maybe he was 6'5" ????? That's kept me from buying a new truck.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
This is exactly why buying a fifth wheel would make me nervous. Truck manufactures have changed their box dimensions to the point that older campers, and fifth wheels no longer are compatible.

Bumper pull trailers are less susceptible to this.
While this is definitely not an issue with bumper pulls, it really is not a concern for fifth wheels either, as there is good adjustability for height with both the hitch and the pin box.

Some older fifth wheels were designed for lower rails, or even for flat decks. I don't know of one these days that has that feature any more.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #38

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My wife and I after sleeping in a Scamp with a 44" bed , find the 54" full size bed in our Casita more than ample . We have never owned a gueen or king size bed so we don't miss not having one in our trailer .Trying to find a trailer that has everything the way you want and at a price your willing to pay is sometimes an impossible dream. Make a list of the top ten features you want in a trailer , if you get seven or eight out of the ten you will be doing really well . IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #39

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My wife and I after sleeping in a Scamp with a 44" bed , find the 54" full size bed in our Casita more than ample . We have never owned a gueen or king size bed so we don't miss not having one in our trailer .Trying to find a trailer that has everything the way you want and at a price your willing to pay is sometimes an impossible dream. Make a list of the top ten features you want in a trailer , if you get seven or eight out of the ten you will be doing really well . IMHO
Yes, I get that. Our top 5: 1) over 6 ft of head room - all of us are at least 6 feet tall and don't want to have to duck while walking around 2) room for three adults to sleep comfortably 3) three full sized twins (preferred) or a queen with a full twin 4) flush toilet and shower 5) high quality build

I'm not looking for perfection, just something that I think we could both tolerate. We've been talking about long road trips to the national parks, not a weekend in a campground where you can get by with discomfort for a day or two.

My wife and I cant get a decent nights sleep in a king bed at home. We both have sleep Apnea and getting a good nights sleep takes some effort. Sleeping in a double is like hell (a queen is better but still not great)...neither of us gets any sleep.

My wife gets up about 5 times each night and rolls around for ten minutes getting comfortable when she gets back from the bathroom. She also thrashes and doesn't settle down - all night. I call her a high maintenance sleeper. So, twins would be best for us if we could find them. Apparently almost nobody sells anything like that except Oliver and their trailers are out of our price range.

The escape 19 would work for us and looks like our best option. However the side to side queen is less than ideal. Its a shame to spend that much money and have to compromise.

That's why I asked about it...hoping someone would point out an option that I wasn't already aware of.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Y Its a shame to spend that much money and have to compromise.
All of our trailers are all about compromises, in one way or the other, whether bed size, bath size, storage, you name it. It is just a matter of finding the best compromise that works well for you. Sure you can get bigger and bigger, but then you start to compromise cost, towing capacities, etc. No one right answer for everyone unfortunately.