Trailer hitch extender - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #1

Name: Dean
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Trailer hitch extender

So I now have a bike rack on the front of my boler. In doing so I wanted to put an extender on my hitch so the bikes are not as close to the back of the car when turning,etc ... it will cut the towing capacity in half I know but just wondered if having an extender creates any concerns while in transport
Mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
An extender cuts the tongue weight capacity of the tow vehicle receiver. A better, but much more complicated solution would be to lengthen the trailer tongue. If you do use an extender you will probably want a couple of the anti-rattle or tightener devices.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 Lots of rattle!

Some put the bike rack on the front of their tow vehicle. Need to have a receiver mounted on the front to do it. Boaters like it as they can back a boat down a boat ramp with the tow vehicle going forward.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #4

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Thrifty Bill has the answer.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm wondering whether those front receivers are available for vehicles other than trucks and truck-based SUVs...? I've only seen them on pick-up trucks.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #6

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
A hitch extender will lessen the load on the front wheels and add load to the rear. The front brakes do 66% of the stopping and 100% of the steering, think twice!!!!
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:03 PM   #7

British Columbia
So Barney,even with a small boler trailer you are saying do not use an extender if I understand your post?
Old 07-21-2017, 03:58 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie View Post
So Barney,even with a small boler trailer you are saying do not use an extender if I understand your post?
Barney is correct, adding distance at the tongue will change the numbers. It may or may not make a difference depending on your tug though. Being extenders and bike racks are not welded on, they can be removed if it doesn't work for you. A roof rack on the tug may be better. I wouldn't do it but that's just me .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:30 AM   #9

British Columbia
Pic

Here is the bike rack
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5503.jpg  
Old 07-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #10

Name: Janis
Trailer: egg camper 13 ft
Florida
Want to use a combination hitch on back if no vehicle. It will hold a tilt bike rack 2 bike's. And still allow us to use the 2 in receiver to pull 1e ft scamp is this a dangerous. Idea. Thanks in advance. Janis
Janis Morley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:03 AM   #11

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janis Morley View Post
Want to use a combination hitch on back if no vehicle. It will hold a tilt bike rack 2 bike's. And still allow us to use the 2 in receiver to pull 1e ft scamp is this a dangerous. Idea. Thanks in advance. Janis
Depends on what your tow vehicle is and the weight capacity of it's receiver
Old 07-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janis Morley View Post
Huh?
No vehicle? 1e ft scamp? Back of what?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #13

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Huh?
No vehicle? 1e ft scamp? Back of what?
people need to read what they wrote before posting. e is near 3 so must be 13 foot Scamp, and probably meant "on back of our vehicle". I take it they mean one of those double receiver adapters which reduce the weight capacity of the vehicle receiver by 50% according to the sticker on some of them. Others do not have that information on them.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
people need to read what they wrote before posting. e is near 3 so must be 13 foot Scamp, and probably meant "on back of our vehicle". ..
Or after posting.. that is what the edit option is for (something I use almost every time I post).

But if your assumptions are correct than you are on the right track. I would guess that ALL hitch extenders reduce towing capacity and tongue weight limit, and create a lower threshold for sway, etc. 50% reduction in towing weight rating sounds typical. If it is dangerous or not depends on a great many variables that are not known in this case.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #15

Georgia
MOLLIE.
I DID NOT SAY NOT TO DO IT! THINK OF A SEESAW, THE FULCRUM POINT OF THE TOW IS THE REAR AXLE, THE FULCRUM POINT OF TT IS IT'S AXLE. NOW THINK OF TWO SEESAWS JOINED AT THE HITCH BALL. DRAW A DIAGRAM TAKE MEASUREMENTS & WT'S {IF POSSIBLE} 5th GRADE MATH WILL RENDER RESULTS.
A LITE FRONT AXLE IS NOT GOOD!!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #16

British Columbia
Thanks for the info Barney although my eyes are bleeding from you typing in all Caps
Old 07-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #17

Georgia
My eyes would be bleeding if i did not.
What ya want-eggs in ya beer?
Old 07-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #18

British Columbia
Lol!!!!
Old 07-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNEYCONE View Post
MOLLIE.
I DID NOT SAY NOT TO DO IT! THINK OF A SEESAW, THE FULCRUM POINT OF THE TOW IS THE REAR AXLE, THE FULCRUM POINT OF TT IS IT'S AXLE. NOW THINK OF TWO SEESAWS JOINED AT THE HITCH BALL. DRAW A DIAGRAM TAKE MEASUREMENTS & WT'S {IF POSSIBLE} 5th GRADE MATH WILL RENDER RESULTS.
A LITE FRONT AXLE IS NOT GOOD!!
It's really loud in here!

Not a good plan to give dire warnings without any numbers or percentages.

According to your warning just putting something in the trunk of a car would be "NOT GOOD" since it would lighten the front axle. I've got a Cummins sitting on the front axle. It would take a very large tongue weight to make any difference in safety or handling. But then again, I'm not in fifth grade.

Small changes, within the tow rating and tongue weight rating are fine. A longer tongue really helps stability and lowers the tongue weight on the ball.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm wondering whether those front receivers are available for vehicles other than trucks and truck-based SUVs...? I've only seen them on pick-up trucks.
Again, the problem is blocking your head lights and turn signals. Also, your clear view of the road ahead. travel only in daylight.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote