Trailer Park Memberships - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2006, 10:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1974
Please help me with something that I don't understand.

Many RV magazines have lists of "RV Park memberships" at deeply discounted prices (lifetime memberships at 25% of the original price)

Are any of them worth it? What do you get for your money? Why are they always so "cheap"?

I never seem to see them mentioned in any of these forums.

Are any "RV Clubs" worthwhile for eggers?

Cheers
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:51 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have seen the adds myself.Personally I would never buy one.The reason being is that where I live I can go camping at anytime and never have to worry about finding a destination point.I supose if you live in a highly populated area it might pay.
When on the road and if I really want to stay at some very popular area I would make a resevation in advance.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:55 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am not sure what type of membership you are referencing, but I am guessing its the timeshare type. You pay a yearly fee for a certain park and you book time in it when you want, or when a spot is available.

I have a couple friends that have done this, and for the most part, they were very disatisfied. It had more to do with camp restrictions than anything. Lots limit visitors using the ammneities (Whats the point of having a lake spot if you can't share it?) and cost vs. use. They thought it was neat for a few trips, but when they wanted to travel elsewhere, they had to weigh what they spent on the timeshare and using it instead.

I have a KOA card.. thats as close as it gets. I use it enuff to pay off, and even then it's no big deal. 2.50 a nite discount and you get maps and things. whoopie.

Good Sam parks sometimes give you the KOA discount as well, just to steal the bizness. That happened to me twice this trip.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
i looked into it decided not to do not cost efective i found a campground that leases out sites on a year round basis i pay 650.00 a year includes septic tank,water,and electric ..i can use it from april 1 thru oct 31 each year and the camper can stay on the lot year round my sunline has been there now 3 years..that is one reason for buying the amerigo for the wife and i can go other places as well and if friends or family want to come to campground i can put it on another lot for them..pictures attached of the park im talking about good luck...

these pictures are from the front door of my camper...
Attached Thumbnails
C_010.JPG   C_013.JPG  

Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ian, the only experience I've had..and it's not direct experience...was through my parents. They bought into "Thousand Trails" (I THINK that was the name) and it wasn't a timeshare type, but rather a large network of affiliated parks. They used it almost exclusively for 3 years before selling their membership (for nearly what they paid for it). When I say exclusively, I mean they full-timed. Because they were in the Pacific Northwest, they had many, very nice parks, to choose from along the Oregon/Washington coast, inland along rivers and lakes, etc. The downside is they had to move every two weeks. But for them, that wasn't a problem. Because they were full-timing, they liked all the amenities available at the parks, laundry facilities, pool, small stores, etc.

I would think it would depend upon what type of membership you're looking at, what area of the country you live in...are there enough parks in that area to offer variety, and what kind of camping you prefer to do.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:47 AM   #6

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
The only kind of membership-based park we've had any experience with is Yogi Bear. We considered buying in a couple years ago but decided against it. Primary benefit as we saw it was convenience. You owned your particular spot - so you could leave the trailer parked (if you wanted) and come out at your convenience and whim (no reservations needed).

Main reason we decided not to was that we didn't think we'd use it enough to make it economically reasonable. If we spent the whole summer there - it'd make sense. Without that, it wasn't that great a deal. Not buying in also encourages us to go to a wider variety of campgrounds - even though we've basically kept to locations close to home.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:53 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Many RV magazines have lists of "RV Park memberships" at deeply discounted prices (lifetime memberships at 25% of the original price)

Are any of them worth it? What do you get for your money? [b]Why are they always so "cheap"?
"Thousand Trails" is the most widely known brand of this membership deal. The RV magazine ads for discounted memberships are the "secondary market." These are people who bought at full retail, and have found they aren't using it as much as they thought they would and want to get at least some of their substantial investment back. Since "Thousand Trails" does not refund, they have to try to sell this way.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Are any "RV Clubs" worthwhile for eggers?
I believe that RV membership clubs would be a good deal for $Bulgemobile$ owners looking for a Disneyesque experience. "Eggers", on the other hand, can have real experiences in real settings. (In My Humble Opinion)
Old 01-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
Quote:
I believe that RV membership clubs would be a good deal for $Bulgemobile$ owners looking for a Disneyesque experience. "Eggers", on the other hand, can have real experiences in real settings. (In My Humble Opinion)
I belonged to Coast-To-Coast for several years, as I was expecting to full-time, or at least be a "sunbird" (Get out of the TX sun for the summer). That didn't work out, due to health reasons, so I finally dropped it. After I had bought my membership, paid $99.00 p.a. to my home park, I could stay any C-t-C Park anywhere in US, for $2.00 p. night. We stayed at quite a few, on the few trips we were able to take, but they never seemed to have a park where we wanted to be. Prices have gone up a lot, since then.
Like most of y'all, I wanted the less commercial setting, and prefered the State & Nat Parks and BLM areas. So the Golden Passport got used more than the C-t-C. There is always KOA, Good Sam, and the 50% discounts with Happy Campers or Passport America ! If the weather is nice, I'd rather boondock by a pretty stream or lake, anyway.
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
I joined what was Leisure Time resorts 20 years ago, as a single mother with two small children. My reasoning was that in the gated campgrounds, with 24 hour security, I and my children were safer than out in the booinies on our own. My kids could have the run of the park. There was swimming, a fishin' hole, miniature golf, a hot tub, and pancake breakfast for $1.00 so I could sleep in on Sunday morning! The campgrounds have lots of trees, and space between the parking spots. I have had less privacy in state parks and private campgrounds, even KOA. An added incentive was that my children can use the park on my pass as adults, and I can will/give my membership to one of them (or my grandkids) in time. Leisure Time was eventually bought out by Thousand Trails, but my extras are still valid (not available on TTN network alone - to my knowledge).

I currently belong to the Pacific Northwest division, and have 20 campgrounds avialable in BC, Oregon, and Washington, many on the coast, so good for me for kayaking. I can take my little egg and stay in any of them, with a two week limit per campground. As a membership owner, I am gauranteed a spot, even if it is 'dry' camping. There is a reservation system, to make life easier. I can also rent a stationary trailer for ~$35.00 a night, if I don't want to take my trailer with me.

Would I buy a membership now? Probably not. No kids to worry about. I do use my membership, but bought it with 1986 $$$. And, nowadays, when you die, it just goes away.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:31 AM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
We have Pastport America and found it to be a very good deal. We took a trip last year to Texas and the $40 membership was paid for before we got to Texas. You get 50% off when you stay at there parks.

So for an average of $20 standard fee it cost you $10 per night. Four nights and, BAM, the fee is paid for. We really liked all the parks except one. We will re-up again this year.

We also have Escapees The fee to join Escapees is $60 per year with an enrollment fee of $10 and you can stay at any of their parks the first night free. Additional nights cost $15. They guarentee you a space; just show up. We liked it so much, we have put our name in for a permanent space. (5 year waiting list.)

PS: I see Pastport America has gone up to $44.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:39 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe (Modified)
Send a message via ICQ to LindyW2
Talking

Goodmorning and Happy New Year to ALL

We belong to a Camping Resort 80 miles from home it is open 24/7 365 days a year with full time ranger staff Ga station and many benifits its 6300 acres about 10 SQ miles

Fishing Hunting 5 camp grounds A non denominal church about 60 people live there full time Cost is about 1000.00 membership fee and 300.00 per year maintenance Fee 1st 30 days is included after that 5.00 perday for 60 days
It also has ATV Trails (about 150 miles)
You can only stay in 1 campground for 30 days then move to another so all have a chance to enjoy each campground on the Ranch
also has horse back riding Fishing stocked during 6 mo of year 1000 LBS every 2 weeks .
Here is a Link to it

http://www.cloud9ranch.com/index.shtml
LindyW2 is offline   Reply With Quote