TRAILER SCAM Watch out heres how it works - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:54 AM   #21

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhTom View Post
Another thing that seems to come up, especially if you are selling something, is they ask for your Paypal ID #. I ran into that so many times when I was selling a motorcycle. They said "I will have my agent stop by to look at it, and if he approves I will forward the money to your PayPal account immediately, I just need your full name and Pay Pal account number. " These were made via text or email. I would text them back with the most outlandish stuff just for fun- telling them to walk out into the street with their hands in the air, that they were under arrest under penal code #_____. They spoof everything including their phone numbers. I could never figure outhow they were going to get money just by having the account number...but , then "I am not a crook" to quote a famous man.
If you sell something to a person, and they pay you by Palpal, the money should be deposited in your Palpal account without any problems.

HOWEVER, if a third party picks up the item, Paypal's payment guarantee is void!

A friend almost was taken in by a "buyer" who wanted to pay by Paypal, and having his friend, who was passing thru Arizona, to pickup the boat. Paypal advised my friend that would not covered by their payment agreement,

It's a pity that there are so many crooks out there....and they all look like such nice people!

However, sometimes honest buyers do act like crooks! A man once came to look at a almost new Ford pickup I was selling for my sister-in-law. The PU had belonged to her late husband. The man took one look at the PU and said he would buy it! Now, i have never sold any auto without the buyer at least starting the motor or test driving it.

So red flags popped up in my mind! Of course,when he wanted to pay with a Company check, and there was a laptop computer, plus a check writing machine sitting in his auto's front seat, more red flags popped up!

When I told him I wanted cash, he didn't get upset, just said he didn't carry that much money on him, but we could drive to his bank and get the money.

And that's what we did!

Bill
Old 01-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #22

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
There's a sucker born every minute...
P.T. Barnum
Old 01-26-2016, 09:34 PM   #23

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
Every day in California I check Craigslist for these scams and flag them! Really sad that this is somebody's idea of getting ahead in life!
Old 09-25-2016, 03:28 AM   #24

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: Desire a Scamp 13' Trailer
Washington
Scam experience today😕

I was sincerely excited about such a good deal and they even provided me with 23 specific pictures. The response all started with a text that the daughter sent advising me to email her mother.

When she said it could be delivered to me free within three days after I sent half the money to Google wallet the red light appeared. Then after a 15 day review I could pay the other half of the money to Google wallet and they would release it to her.

It really broke my heart and saddened me when I realized it had to be a scam. Not to mention a lot of wasted time.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne W. View Post
I was sincerely excited about such a good deal and they even provided me with 23 specific pictures. The response all started with a text that the daughter sent advising me to email her mother.

When she said it could be delivered to me free within three days after I sent half the money to Google wallet the red light appeared. Then after a 15 day review I could pay the other half of the money to Google wallet and they would release it to her.

It really broke my heart and saddened me when I realized it had to be a scam. Not to mention a lot of wasted time.
Learning experience that does not hurt you or steal your money has some value so not a total waste of time, plus having this discussion here may have alerted a few others.

Most photos can be easily downloaded from web pages, these scammers will download photos from legit sales and use those. I seem to recall some members pointing out that the same camper was for sale in multiple states at one time under different headings. Descriptions were different but pictures were the same.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #26

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: Desire a Scamp 13' Trailer
Washington
Thank you for your kind words my friend. I still feel heartsick as I thought I was going to get a deal of a lifetime and it's been my favorite camper pictures so far!
Old 09-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #27

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Many of today's consumer printers can print a better cashier's check than a bank can.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #28

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
When I purchased my last Bigfoot it was an out of state transaction in Colorado, I live in Missouri. I went to Colorado and had my bank do a bank to bank transfer (wire) direct to the seller's bank account, which the sellers could verify before I took the trailer.

It got a little complicated because they owed money on the trailer and the finance company holding their title was in Virginia. I had to pay to have the title over-nighted to my bank then again to Colorado. Then the sellers (husband and wife) had to both endorse the title. It wound up taking over a week.

I won't go through all of that again, even for a "really good deal".

The sellers were a couple in their eighties. They were homeowners and the trailer was at their house. I was able to figure out they were legitimate sellers through all of that and telephone conversation with their local bank and having my bank call their out of state lien-holder and verify the VIN on the title.

Where you could get into trouble is if a trailer has a lien on it that you are not informed of.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #29

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
It's definitely the same pics - including the Texas license plate. I'm thinking "Bill" has some explaining to do... And I wouldn't touch it without seeing it - at the very least you must verify its condition; it's three years (almost 4) years old now, and these pics were made when it was new... If it's even the same trailer.

You are wise to be super cautious.
While there is a good chance it is a scam, I often have bought stuff off CL where the lazy seller just found someone else's pictures on the web and "borrowed" them for their ad. I restore vintage bikes and several times I have seen my pictures used to sell someone else's bike. Very irritating!
Old 10-05-2016, 07:54 PM   #30

Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
Be careful of people that say they are interested and want to negotiate via text, then they say they will come and purchase, then they have excuses for delaying the transaction but expect you to hold the unit for them. If they really are interested and sincere they will make the effort to get there.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #31

Name: Mark
Trailer: none
Connecticut
Registry
little harsh there bud....sometimes people do not know the value of what they are selling ... so to say any who respond are greedy is a bit judgmental..
Old 10-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #32

Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
I stand corrected, the sale went through even though at times it seemed it wouldn't.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:34 AM   #33

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
This is a scam

Wheel bigfoot series 24db

The same as this:

2003 Bigfoot 3000 Series 24DB | eBay

From the seller:

Hi again,
I hope the photos "spoke" for themselves. THIS RV IS RARE AND A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY. NO Leaks NO Rust NO Wrecks NO Accidents, NO Rips or Tears in the Upholstery NO Smoke or Pet Odors, Runs & Drives

I will do my best to walk you through the process. As I told you in my first email, I recently got divorced. I got a new job and moved to Omaha,Ne for a new start. The rv is already at the shipping company in Omaha sealed and ready for the shipping,so you will not have to pick the RV up yourself.I advertised it on other states also to get more exposure and sell it faster. The deal is handled by eBay so I don't have much to do about it. Using eBay`s Buyer Protection Program, you get free delivery, at your place in 6-10 days. In addition, you get 5 days to try it out before buying it, and if you don't like it, you can send it back at my expense. If you wish to proceed just send me an email with your full name (for the bill of sale), a delivery address and a phone # where you can be reached and I will forward them to eBay and they will send you the invoice with all of the transaction details.

Thanks,
Jessica
////////////////////////////

Needless to say, I ran away and flagged the listing.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Old 02-14-2022, 10:04 PM   #34

Name: Tim
Trailer: In the market
California
Hi,
i'm looking to revive this thread - does anyone have photo evidence of their purchase from gtmt repo? It's hard to find any information or reviews about them without being skeptical. Thanks
Old 12-09-2022, 09:15 AM   #35

Name: Micah
Trailer: Fleetwood Discovery
SC
Can Anyone Talk with me about their experience with Echeapetrepo?

I am very skeptical of buying on this website. Their phone number is on a scam list. I'd like to talk with someone on the phone that has actually bought from them.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:33 AM   #36

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Yup, the scammers are working their trade. I saw a Rialta come up on Facebook Marketplace for a crazy price of $2500 CDN and when I checked it was cross posted everywhere in Canada. I reported it and will see if they pull it down.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:32 AM   #37

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Hard to believe people still fall for these scams after all the publicity......it's like the call you get from your grandson locked in jail in Canada and needs you to send $1000 immediately......don't be a sucker.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #38

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
The scammers that make me the angriest are the ones who claim to be 'military' and have to sell (fill in the blank) because they're being deployed. When I was on Casita Club, one scammer posted an ad on CRaigslist in Virigina,, saying he was an Army Captain at Ft. Bragg, NC, but was selling a Casita at Ft. Lewis, WA. the scammer said the camper had been prepared for shipment by the US Army Directorate of Logistics, and all the buyer needed to do was send him the money via Western Union. Then he'd contact Ft. Lewis and tell the US ARmy to ship the camper.

One of the people on Casita Club, Frank, contacted me as he knew I am a retired soldier currently living in WA State and even though he knew it was a scam, would I be so kind as to go and check out this superduper deal of a Casita? And to let him know the details so he could pull the rug out from under the scammer?

And coincidentally, I worked at the Ft. Lewis DOL, both while on active duty and after, as a contractor. The US Military, indeed, the Federal Govt, are not is not in the business of managing privately owned vehicle sales.

Guess what. No camper. What a surprise, eh!
Old 12-09-2022, 05:13 PM   #39

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
As for the phone call saying a grandchild needs ten grand to be bailed out...when we get that kind of phone call, we say, "nope. You probably deserve to go to prison."
Old 12-09-2022, 06:19 PM   #40
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micahroch View Post
I am very skeptical of buying on this website. Their phone number is on a scam list. I'd like to talk with someone on the phone that has actually bought from them.
Both sStoresConsigns and eCheapetRepo have all the earmarks of a scam including using a spoofed copy of our site to host altered responses designed to make them look reputable.

THESE ARE SCAM pages:
https://clyfakermumping.com/threads/...-on-this-site/
https://fiberglassrvstalk.com/thread...-on-this-site/

The posts there are copies of content here but with the text changed in order to appear to recommend some consignment seller.

In this case the resellers appear to be sStoresConsigns and eCheapetRepo - both are likely scams

Be aware that these not legitimate posts - buyer beware.
Closed Thread