TRAILER SCAM Watch out heres how it works - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 21
Free State of New Hampshire
TRAILER SCAM Watch out heres how it works

Please be aware that there is a trailer scam guy that I caught this week, I see today he is now posting on CL for scamps. Previously he was 'selling' a 2011 Casita Liberty Deluxe. He claims the $2000 is for his mothers mortgage...Then wants the 'mark' to purchase EBAY gift cards to pay for trailer. See the screenshots. The FBI scam site is Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home. His phone is continually busy but tracked him to either Florida or Texas. The Casita was supposedly in Redding Ca.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #2

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
It takes two parties to work any con. A lying seller and a greedy, foolish buyer.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #3

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Doesn't HAVE to be greedy buyer, maybe just someone who thinks that good things can come to good people who don't have much $$$.

Mon
Old 01-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I was in Santa Cruze over Christmas and saw the ad for the Casita for $2000 and knew it must be a scam. It was pulled down when I went to check again an hour later.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #5

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
No shortage of folks trying to relieve you of your cash.

Buyer beware !
Old 01-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Buyers should always be wary of something that sounds too good to be true.

Thanks for posting, Jeff. It is helpful to have the particulars of this scam outed here, especially for people who may not have much experience with buying through Craigslist, eBay, etc.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 01-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #7

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Places like Craigslist are a great place to shop. I use them often for local purchases only...go see the item (and clear title if a RV). Then a cash and carry transaction.

Using the "In your face cash and carry (or tow if an RV travel trailer) " is the safe intelligent method...no deposits with any delays.
If you are a veteran RV owner this system works...otherwise bring along someone who knows his way around a RV to inspect it for you.

Good Luck and Happy Camping !
Old 01-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #8

Name: Sara
Trailer: I'm now married to a 16 Foot 93 Scamp!
Florida
If it's too good to be true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Governor Bud View Post
Please be aware that there is a trailer scam guy that I caught this week, I see today he is now posting on CL for scamps. Previously he was 'selling' a 2011 Casita Liberty Deluxe. He claims the $2000 is for his mothers mortgage...Then wants the 'mark' to purchase EBAY gift cards to pay for trailer. See the screenshots. The FBI scam site is Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home. His phone is continually busy but tracked him to either Florida or Texas. The Casita was supposedly in Redding Ca.
Two days ago I received a private message from a member regarding a 2012 Casita Liberty 17' in Orlando, Florida for $11,995. The price seemed reasonable for a 2012 and being that it was a very short distance to drive, I was interested. I went to the Craigslist ad and phoned the owner. I got voice mail for "Bill" and left a message that I wanted to make an appointment to drive up and take a look at it. The Craigslist ad is still up and here is the link:

2012 CASITA 17 LIBERTY

I did some research on the net and found an old ad on the Casita forum for a 2012 Liberty Deluxe 17" in TEXAS for sale back in 2012. The "interesting" fact is that both ads had EXACTLY the same images posted for this Casita. The old ad from 2012 is marked "SOLD". The pictures of the interior were what made me stop and think, What's going on here? Here is the link for the 2012 ad:

2012 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17' Trailer | Lufkin, TX | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

I thought to myself that I could possibly be the same Casita that was sold to someone in Texas and now it was being sold (3 years later) in Florida. However, the fact that it is the exact same pictures is still weird.

"Bill" has not returned my call in spite of the fact that the Craigslist ad is still up.

What do you think?
Old 01-18-2016, 10:56 AM   #9

Name: Frank
Trailer: Winnebago
Michigan
Scams / how to prevent

1. Never send money first. If they pressure you, it's probably a scam.
2. If the price is too good to be true, watch out!
3. If it's a local Craigslist ad, but the unit is out of state, watch out!
4. If they are "in the military" and are "liquidating their property", watch out!
5. If they insist on on a deposit to hold it, or want gift cards, walk away now.
6. ALWAYS look at the item in person, EVEN if it's out of state! Never go by a photo.
7. If you look at the unit, check it out, and if you still really want to buy it, meet at a public place, like a police station, or secretary of state, or a bank.
8. If they make an excuse that the title isn't available for ANY reason, walk away. Do not let them rush you thru the deal, because they have a "lot of people interested". Walk away.
9. Don't fall in love with a unit. There are many more out there!!
10. Take someone with you, especially when carrying cash.

After you have done all the hard work of securing your unit, and the deal is over, and you have loaded the unit with your items, may you enjoy many years of HAPPY CAMPING !!
Old 01-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #10

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Repetitive SCAM

This individual posts this scam over and over and over on Craigslist all over Florida. He copies and pastes other people's ads then uses his contact info.

He usually has a combination of upper and lower case letters plus symbols in his heading. He used to always list with a "95" at the end of the price, i.e. $1,595, $2,195, etc. lately he has been listing at $2,000 even.

TO HELP OTHERS: I have an alert set for "Casita" in several Florida areas. Every time I get an email that he posted I flag the ad for removal. To flag it, just mark the "prohibited" box at the top of the Craiglist ad. Unfortunately craigslist seems to take more flagging so lately before they remove it so I am sure that contributes to more people being scammed.

If everyone set alerts and flagged these ads we could try and minimize his damage.

Sadly I have been flagging his ads for over a year and it doesn't seem to slow him down.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #11

Name: Sara
Trailer: I'm now married to a 16 Foot 93 Scamp!
Florida
Great SCAM prevention list!

Hi Frank,

Great list and thank you for posting it. The bad news is that I've been ripped off many times in my life. The good news is that I now do not trust anyone that is selling anything. I am a nurse and live in a geographic area of the country where many elderly people come to live. You cannot imagine how many of my elderly patients have succumbed to some scams. It is quite tragic. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmichigan View Post
1. Never send money first. If they pressure you, it's probably a scam.
2. If the price is too good to be true, watch out!
3. If it's a local Craigslist ad, but the unit is out of state, watch out!
4. If they are "in the military" and are "liquidating their property", watch out!
5. If they insist on on a deposit to hold it, or want gift cards, walk away now.
6. ALWAYS look at the item in person, EVEN if it's out of state! Never go by a photo.
7. If you look at the unit, check it out, and if you still really want to buy it, meet at a public place, like a police station, or secretary of state, or a bank.
8. If they make an excuse that the title isn't available for ANY reason, walk away. Do not let them rush you thru the deal, because they have a "lot of people interested". Walk away.
9. Don't fall in love with a unit. There are many more out there!!
10. Take someone with you, especially when carrying cash.

After you have done all the hard work of securing your unit, and the deal is over, and you have loaded the unit with your items, may you enjoy many years of HAPPY CAMPING !!
Old 01-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #12
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercuban View Post
I thought to myself that I could possibly be the same Casita that was sold to someone in Texas and now it was being sold (3 years later) in Florida. However, the fact that it is the exact same pictures is still weird.

"Bill" has not returned my call in spite of the fact that the Craigslist ad is still up.

What do you think?
It's definitely the same pics - including the Texas license plate. I'm thinking "Bill" has some explaining to do... And I wouldn't touch it without seeing it - at the very least you must verify its condition; it's three years (almost 4) years old now, and these pics were made when it was new... If it's even the same trailer.

You are wise to be super cautious.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 01-18-2016, 04:21 PM   #13

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
There was an ad on CL for a 2014 airstream bambi 19 for $3,500 and he would bring it to you and let you look at it all the way from CA, no matter where you lived. You had to wire him the money so he could get it out of storage and if you didn't like it he would "gladly" refund your money on the spot. Nice guy! hehe Shame is someone probably fell for it
Old 01-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #14

Name: Judy
Trailer: Casita
Florida
The scam ad was posting for a Casita ($2000) in Tallahassee FL around Christmas. I posted my own ad telling everyone it was a scam to use caution...it promptly disappeared!
Old 01-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Problem is scammers practice scamming people and most folks seldom purchase things such as an RV, boat or car.

All you can do is go into it with open eyes and a suspicious mind. Personally I think a legit person will have no problem with my being cautious. Trust your instincts if something does not seem right then something is NOT right. Your subconscious mind noticed it, your conscious mind can't put its finger on it, but there is something that triggered that "feeling" so go with it.

Meeting at bank and doing transaction inside or police station for large purchases is good advice. Video cameras and cops make most scammers leave off. Bank will have a notary and in order to get a signed and notarized receipt one has to show photo id. Won't show your drivers license to the nice lady in the bank who is witnessing the bill of sale? Have an excuse? Don't care we are done and if I have your license plate I'm reporting it.

One scam that buyers have been pulling is to have a cashiers check or money order for well over the purchase price. Goal is to get you to "cash" it at your bank and refund the difference, two days later the bank will inform you the check or MO is bogus and you have just sold your item such as car or RV and paid the scammer a bonus to take it.

Many people think because the bank "cashed" it that it must be good, but the bank is giving you the money based on your own account balance not the check or money order having actually cleared. They just debit your account for the "refund" cash you took, and if the check don't clear then the debit that too.

Seems scams like the OP show up every few months, and sharp eyed members here post a most welcome heads up to let us know.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:15 PM   #16

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 22' Home Built
Ohio
Registry
Another thing that seems to come up, especially if you are selling something, is they ask for your Paypal ID #. I ran into that so many times when I was selling a motorcycle. They said "I will have my agent stop by to look at it, and if he approves I will forward the money to your PayPal account immediately, I just need your full name and Pay Pal account number. " These were made via text or email. I would text them back with the most outlandish stuff just for fun- telling them to walk out into the street with their hands in the air, that they were under arrest under penal code #_____. They spoof everything including their phone numbers. I could never figure outhow they were going to get money just by having the account number...but , then "I am not a crook" to quote a famous man.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:54 AM   #17

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
There are many if these ads on the New York metro area Craig's list. Scamps, Casitas, Airstreams.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #18

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
This information from Craigslist is the single best single source of advice I have seen and includes all the previous suggestions in this thread, and more.

This is required reading for anyone who answers an online advertisement.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:06 AM   #19

Name: Robyn
Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe Wanted
Arizona
scammers suck

while i've been shopping for a Casita on Craigslist I've been flagging these damn $2000 newer model Casitas knowing they are a scam. I'm so worried that a less savvy person will fall victim. I really can't understand why Craigslist can't do more to prevent this. If we all can identify a scammer why can't they? Besides the obnoxiously low price (whether it's a Casita or a Porsche) they seem to like the colored block font when putting their phone number in the ad. Buyer beware and a sad state of affairs.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:17 AM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisposse View Post
while i've been shopping for a Casita on Craigslist I've been flagging these damn $2000 newer model Casitas knowing they are a scam. I'm so worried that a less savvy person will fall victim. I really can't understand why Craigslist can't do more to prevent this. If we all can identify a scammer why can't they? Besides the obnoxiously low price (whether it's a Casita or a Porsche) they seem to like the colored block font when putting their phone number in the ad. Buyer beware and a sad state of affairs.
C/L is a self policing web site. Can't tell you how many times I've flagged those scam ads. Sometimes I wonder if it really does any good. It's unfortunate that some folks fall for them. C/L can be a great tool, just have to be on your game.
Closed Thread