Trailer Size - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2016, 05:02 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Trailer Size

One thought I've always had is that trailer size is hardly relevant to road fun.

In the past we've always traveled alone and found our Scamp 16 entirely comfortable. On the Caravan we had a 25' Bigfoot and a 13' Scamp, I wondered if size would be related to fun on the road.

No one was complaining about the effect of their trailer size on fun. No one was complaining that their bed was too small, their trailer too old, their fridge the wrong size, all enjoying every minute of their day.

In reality it seems the most important factor was being out their.

While in NL the province, due to NL's financial difficulties raised the price of gas about a $1 a gallon in one day. This impacted the little guys less (our last stretch of driving I got 19.3 miles/gal). I did hear concerns from the Bigfoot owner because the Bigfoot was (surprisingly) wider than 8 feet, potentially causing a surcharge.

The point is the focus was not on trailer but road fun for all. I once read a book where a line went like this 'people don't cough during sex'.

Ginny and I are never happier nor more relaxed than when we're out in our little Scamp traveling, even the insanity of the world becomes secondary.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:56 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Intellectually I can understand longer trailers.

Perhaps both spouses are not into camping and will only come if they don't have to give up conveniences.

Perhaps there are scads of kids.

Perhaps it's a retirement home that shuttles north and south following temperate weather.

Whatever floats their boat.

Longer trailers are easier to back up, however, that's mitigated by a small campsite or a campsite guarded by one or two trees at its entrance.

But, for me, a longer trailer means more stress, more complications, more expense and less spontaneity. About the only time I wish for a larger trailer is on cold rainy days when I would like to invite friends in to visit.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:32 AM   #3

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post

But, for me, a longer trailer means more stress, more complications, more expense and less spontaneity. About the only time I wish for a larger trailer is on cold rainy days when I would like to invite friends in to visit.
We love our Scamp 13, and our friends love their brand new 30 foot pullout trailer they just bought. For both families, it is definitely about just getting out there. What works for us seems too small for them and theirs seems like a lot of work to us, but we are still making incredible memories and having a great time!

I quoted you above, only to say that last summer, before they got their large camper, we had EIGHT people in our little Scamp during a torrential down pour! The kids sat at the table and played cards and the adults lined the sofa, drinking hot tea and coffee. It was cozy, but we were warm and dry and made a great memory!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:41 AM   #4

Florida
No intent..

I think all RVs are good, their purpose is travel, the road is great.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-08-2016, 09:41 AM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
One thought I've always had is that trailer size is hardly relevant to road fun. No one was complaining about the effect of their trailer size on fun.
Maybe people bought what they wanted and met their needs, so they would have little reason to complain. I know I am VERY happy I passed on the 13' U-Haul I first considered in favor of my 16' Scamp. The 16 is not too small, not too big, but just right (for us). But in the "before time" we had fun camping in a camper shell on my pickup too (sleeping in the Scamp is a lot better).
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
Back in 1994, we bought a 13 ft Boler. Many times since we have had "two foot itis" and thought about something larger but have been able to find a way to get around it. It Has been perfect for us to travell long distances and keep our gas mileage in a reasonable zone. We have toured from coast to coast with it with vans, pickups, a Toyota Highlander and recently with a Ford Edge. Like the trailer, the larger capacity vehicles allow you to carry more. The smaller ones make you simply decide the things that are really necessary. It's the old adage... " stuff" expands to fill the available space. Each year as my age increases,it becomes a bit more difficult to maintain it at top level. Hopefully we can enjoy it for a few more years before turning it over to someone else to enjoy as much as we have.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:46 AM   #7

Florida
Jim,

I understand what you mean. Neither Ginny or I can imagine giving up our Scamp 16, it's delivered so much fun. There are always little things to be fixed, even as we travel. It's OK. We're now 73 and hope for another 10 years of our travel, certainly it's a question of our health, the Scamp will survive.

Ginny recently said we could not ever get another Scamp 16, it would take too long to make it the way we like it.

As to trailer size and our tow vehicle, we like getting good mileage as we travel, we like the low cost of purchasing a Scamp, new or used, but none of this is critical, being on the road having fun with Ginny, gaining new experiences, having really free time where I can think without the clutter of everyday life, it's all a marvelous gift, an unexpected gift.

There's little of the last 16 years of our lives on the road that I could have predicted. I feel blessed and gifted to have stumbled on the life we now heartily embrace.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-11-2016, 07:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: honda03842... Size is relative... and everyone knows what relatives are like!!!
We've had two upsizings. 13' to 19' to 21' Enough is enough for the two of us. My Bro who is 10 yrs my senior has a 40' Moho but he can write off his annual trips west to inspect his property there.
Are you guys having more fun in your 16'er than the 13'er? It's all relative!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote