Trailer tires for Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #1

Name: Sue
Trailer: 17ft Bigfoot Travel Trailer
British Columbia
Trailer tires for Bigfoot

I am looking for tires for my 17ft Bigfoot trailer 205/75/14 is there really a huge difference in trailer tires or are they generally all the same?
SadieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
That is a super loaded question and one that has caused great debate here and on other RV forums. Have you done a search of the discussion archives to read previous discussions on the subject? That might be a good place to start rather than rehashing the debate in yet another thread.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:24 PM   #3

British Columbia
Sorry for asking
Old 05-28-2015, 10:34 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
No need to get in a snit, I'm not trying to be a jerk.

The answer is, "Yes, there is a huge difference in trailer tire brands and specifications." It's a really passionate topic for a lot of people and has been thoroughly discussed in the recent past.

What's wrong with looking through the archives? You might find a ton of information there. I sure have!
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:52 PM   #5

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
There really are only a few brands available in BC, don't remember which I put on.
I'm sure I have read on the forum about differences of opinion.

My view is as long as one maintains proper tire pressure & the tires are within the age limit ie under 7 years most road problems can be avoided.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:55 PM   #6

British Columbia
Thanks Daniel
That's good to know, I'll be traveling mostly on dirt gravel roads
So I was just wondering. I have read several posts but couldn't find any
thing about trailer tires and gravel roads.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #7

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Check with a couple of RV shops and see what they recommend based on experience. My trailer is only used on paved roads.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:26 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Sue, the only thing I would add, because you talk of dirt/back roads, you may want to look into a higher ply rated tire than normal highway tires. I use that on my off road buggy for extreme abuse. A lot of members here run the same type roads you're talking about. They will chime in soon for you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:07 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Just to add, if you are going off the main roads, be sure to have a matching "New" spare tire. The age old practice of "Keeping the best old one" for a spare is a recipe for disaster. Many an RVer has learned that the hard way.

Be sure you have the tools (jack, wrench, blocks) to change a tire and, if you haven't already done so, practice it one time before going. And last: Be sure you can loosen all of the trailers lug nuts. Some times tire jockeys get carried away and over tighten to the point that only a 500 lb. gorilla can loosen them. On the other hand, if you are a 500 lb. Gorilla, don't worry about the last point.... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:10 AM   #10

British Columbia
LOL.... Thanks for the good advice,
I am not a gorilla but maybe have to take one with me... LOL
Old 05-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #11

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If you just purchased your trailer you might want to check your axle. Most if not all bigfoot 17's left the factory with a 4 inch drop axle and that puts the trailer lower than many of us like. Your trailer may have had an axle modification. The original owner might have changed the drop axle for a straight axle or might have had the original axle remounted under the springs. either modification would give you lots more tire and wheel options. Since you said you will be on dirt and gravel roads you should consider an axle change along with new tires.

I put a straight axle on my Bigfoot and went to 15 inch wheels and tires. I picked up 5 inches of ground clearance and am very happy with this change.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #12

Name: erik
Trailer: Bigfoot 1986-17' ft. delux
British Columbia
Hi Jack,

I just purchased a 1986 b-17' Bigfoot is there any more information on the axle modification? Mine has already been changed to a straight axle but I'd like to know more. DO you know of any links on this forum about the mod?

Cheers, Erik
erikg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieSue View Post
I am looking for tires for my 17ft Bigfoot trailer 205/75/14 is there really a huge difference in trailer tires or are they generally all the same?
See today's thread , click here...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post694821
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:46 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Trailer tires for Bigfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikg View Post
Hi Jack,

I just purchased a 1986 b-17' Bigfoot is there any more information on the axle modification? Mine has already been changed to a straight axle but I'd like to know more. DO you know of any links on this forum about the mod?

Cheers, Erik
Erik, this is a 3-year-old thread. I don't know if Jack is still around to answer your question, but you might get more response by starting a new thread with a more complete description of your axle concern.

Best way to search old threads is the "Site Search/Google" option at the bottom of the drop-down search menu (task bar under your log-in information top right). It's only available on the website, not the mobile app.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:22 AM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
this is a 3-year-old thread.
DANG! I did it again, I promised myself I would check the dates before I respond! Oh well, I'll just have to try harder!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #16

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Erik- can you post a photo or two of the axle and wheel assembly, and let us know what you want to accomplish. Do you have some concerns about your current axle?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, tires