Trailer Values - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Fiberglass trailer values
Yes 33 91.67%
No 0 0%
No sure 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Do you think fiberglass trailers hold there value better than other camping trailers?
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I wrote "Not sure." Since I don't have an "other" camping trailer, I have no way of knowing (well, I could do some research; but since I don't have one I'm not motivated to do so).

What's your opinion, Kevin?

Raya

Edited to add: Nothing wrong with discussing values, but I guess that to me, a "poll" implies some kind of objective results. It seems like it would be hard to get that on a site dedicated to molded fiberglass trailers
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Kind of tough to answer just yes or no as Raya says, I don't really know since I don't have an other trailer. I know Airstreams do awfully well on holding value, but I don't know if one particularly is better at holding value then the other.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

I vote "Not Sure", because in my opinion it all comes down to condition(s). There is a "thriving" market for restored vintage "stickie" trailers as well as molded fiberglass, both are niche markets. If the trailer has been neglected over the years and totally trashed, then the restoration of each will be very expensive.

My personal experience:
As a novice I bought a gutted-out Compact Jr. for $900 - invested over $4000 total in the restoration - and after trying to sell it for more than 6 months, wound up selling it to friends (I felt sorry for) for $1000.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Well I voted Yes, ( I needed another category, like "One among a Elite group that does hold its value) for the fact that many older fiberglass are now selling for at or above what they sold for originally. Original decent condition, then there are the ones that are restored that sell for far above.

Not unlike Airstream or some other niche travel trailers. So I am not trying to say fiberglass holds better than a few others, but feel fiberglass is among the (Few) that do.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
FG Units sell better in the group of people who know FG trailers. I found that if you tried to trade one in on a another type of trailer, you will not get what its worth. I beleive these smaller FG units will become a bigger seller due to a changing life style of being more consevative with our monies.
Those of us who have made our units more to suit us with our personal mods will most likely not get that investment back.

I voted yes.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Those of us who have made our units more to suit us with our personal mods will most likely not get that investment back.
This is a bit of a tangent, but I don't necessarily agree with that. Sure, some mods are so hideous or "custom" that few people will want them, but I don't think that means that anyone who "has made their unit suit them with personal mods" will not get their investment back. Or rather, will be less likely to get any investment back then anyone else.

In my opinion it depends on the mod and -- more importantly -- on how the mod was carried out. If the mod is generally suitable (say a front dinette in a 13), and was done well (not the cheapest possible way with globs of caulk, or etc.), then I think it can make the trailer more attractive and desirable. (And of course if it's extreme, like a $15k special upholstery job, then no.)

There is probably a continuum, with returns inversely proportional to cost and wildness at the extreme, but I wouldn't say that personalization in general precludes getting one's money back (or a percentage, as is usual for maintenance $$ also).

Raya

Rant warning:

PS: I will admit to cringing when people are encouraged to keep their trailers stock, and perfectly suited to a young family of four (no matter if they are an older family of two, a single person with three dogs, or whatever), all in the name of the vaunted "resale value." So many people never seem to fully enjoy their own possessions because they are so busy keeping them the way they "need" to for "resale value."

/rant
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I voted yes. I believe that no matter the brand or age of a molded lightweight fiberglass, towable it eventually will hit bottom. As long as it's kept clean, maintenance issues are dealt with (that includes replacing an axle if necessary), an individual would be able to recoop most of the asset (if purchased used to begin with). Unless the sticky is a "classic" it will just keep tubing.

And I definitely agree with Raya about stock vs modified. Modifications must be done doing quality work, using quality products. I totally believe trailers should be usable for the owner. I've recently read a topic (on another forum) where the trailer owner just recently acquired an older trailer and was trying desperately to track down a tail light, so the trailer would say stock. The person will probably spend a boat load of money for one tail light... when replacing both with LEDs would be soooo much better and far cheaper. And that's just the beginning.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
PS: I will admit to cringing when people are encouraged to keep their trailers stock, and perfectly suited to a young family of four (no matter if they are an older family of two, a single person with three dogs, or whatever), all in the name of the vaunted "resale value." So many people never seem to fully enjoy their own possessions because they are so busy keeping them the way they "need" to for "resale value."
Raya, this holds true to many inadament objects!

I agree that people should make it fit their needs/wants and not worry about.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Very difficult to determine in my instance ( 1985 13 foot Burro ). Very few other trailers, with the exeption of Airstream and Alpinelite to name a couple I am familiar with , last long enough for a comparison to be made !! Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #11

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I had been searching for trailers for the last year or two and I'd say absolutely fiberglass trailers hold their value better. Stick built trailers seem to start off at a high when new, but prices drop like a rock after just a few years. Fiberglass trailers prices seem to decline very gradually, good if you're already an owner but bad for buyers.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote