Trailer Weights in the Real World - Page 19 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #361

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Trillium weight

I realize that my technique is not that sophisticated, but....

So, with mine totally empty, I have an axle weight of about 975 lbs and a tongue weight of about 137 lbs. A total weight of 1100 lbs.

If I put a full propane tank and a battery on the tongue, plus a battery, two full propane tanks and some tools on the rear extension, then I end up with an axle weight of 1190 lbs. And a tongue weight of 120 lbs. A total weight of 1310 lbs.

I am probably off by a bit because I had to measure each wheel separately, and then the tongue. I made three measurements and took the average.

Since the rig is "in progress" there is nothing inside it. I added the propane and batteries in an attempt to get an idea of how the numbers changed.

Not anywhere near "state of the art", more like "state of the backyard"
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:08 AM   #362

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Min, Hoping you do remember that for optimal (non-lethal!) handling, your tongue weight needs to be between 10% and 15% of your total trailer weight. That is, it must be a bit nose-heavy. Otherwise fishtailing can occur, and this can cause all kinds of problems from rough handling to -- well, lets' just say keep it heavy on the tongue.

BEST
Kai
Old 05-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #363

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
As Kai says, low tongue weight can lead to fishtailing. I'm not sure what overweight on the tongue causes, other than excess force on the hitch/tongue. I notice Min is right at the lower end there, at 120 lb and if it were me I'd do some adjusting to get it up a bit. Fishtailing is to be avoided at all cost.

Walt
Old 05-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #364

Registry
Hey, WaltP, there was a video on one of these FGRV threads that showed what happens when a trailer is tail-heavy AND when it's tongue heavy--too heavy on the tongue is a stress on the tow vehicle and also causes rough handling...a bit like fishtailing.

Min's close now, as you point out...I'm not sure how empty Min's trailer really is--totally gutted or just no clothes, water, food, bedding, propane, etc.?

I agree, I'd get it finished, full, re-weighed, and re-balance it...as you say, do some adjusting to keep that tongue weight in the "goldilocks zone."

The sweet spot,

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuust Right!

BEST
Kai
Old 05-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #365

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Evening Guys,

Yes, these numbers are while the trailer is pretty much empty.
There are no side windows installed yet, the cushions were all removed, no clothes, no food, no utensils, no fishing gear.

As a matter of fact, the shell is not even bolted to the frame yet!

I merely put the other items in place to get some idea of what the changes would be.

My experience with 'trailer sway' has led me to aim for a bit more tongue weight than the usual 10%.

I will be using my 1/2 ton F150, with tow/haul package, so I am not really too concerned about a bit extra tongue weight.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #366

Registry
Min, so your numbers will change before your final tongue calculation. so did ours as we gutted and rebuilt our amerigo, one of those wood-paneled inside types. We, too, went for more than 10% tongue weight upon final weighing when packed and ready to go--but we stay under the 15%--your tow is stronger than ours and sounds like you're right, no problem with that!

BEST
Kai
Old 10-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #367

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
fred you blow my mind on my scamp 13f weight? no wonder my edge hates my scamp!!!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:52 PM   #368

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I'm gonna to weigh my camper again and you all know. Love this thread.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:48 AM   #369

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Since we are talking about trailer weight here, sway, WDH, etc., I wish posters would include there tow vehicle when telling about there situations. I know many think it's never the tow vehicle, but I would say in many cases it could be.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:44 AM   #370

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
This thread is narrowly focused on three data points (loaded, not dry)- total trailer weight, axle weight, tongue weight- along with the trailer make, model, and length. It was intended to help with selecting a tow vehicle and determining whether WDH might be needed. By not trying to do too much, it has been very successful within its limited focus.

There is another thread that was started to share trailer and tow vehicle combinations, Tow Vehicle and Trailer Combos.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #371

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
This thread is narrowly focused on three data points (loaded, not dry)- total trailer weight, axle weight, tongue weight- along with the trailer make, model, and length. It was intended to help with selecting a tow vehicle and determining whether WDH might be needed. By not trying to do too much, it has been very successful within its limited focus.

There is another thread that was started to share trailer and tow vehicle combinations, Tow Vehicle and Trailer Combos.

I weighed my 2018 Bigfoot 25B21RB this weekend at the CAT scale. The trailer was pretty much empty other than a single 46.2lb battery which I weighed beforehand), 1 empty 1 partially full propane tank (25.6# and 39.4# respectively, also weighed beforehand.) It has all the appliances, including AC but no solar panels and no onboard generator. I was surprised at how heavy it is.

Trailer axles alone while still hooked up to the truck: 4820lbs.

Trailer axles and tongue on jack stand on the same scale: 5360lbs.

That means my tongue weight of 540 with no water is just above 10%. I filled both propane tanks to give it a bit more tongue weight but didn't reweigh after. It was 97 degrees out and I was done. In this trailer it looks like the fresh water is in the very rear of the trailer so the tongue weight will likely go down. At least I know now to load heavy stuff toward the front. Too bad the big outside storage hatch is also near to the back of the trailer. *shrug* I have been towing it with my diesel Chevy Colorado but haven't gone too far. Getting the weight distribution hitch put on soon.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #372

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
I weighed my 2018 Bigfoot 25B21RB this weekend at the CAT scale. The trailer was pretty much empty other than a single 46.2lb battery which I weighed beforehand), 1 empty 1 partially full propane tank (25.6# and 39.4# respectively, also weighed beforehand.) It has all the appliances, including AC but no solar panels and no onboard generator. I was surprised at how heavy it is.

Trailer axles alone while still hooked up to the truck: 4820lbs.

Trailer axles and tongue on jack stand on the same scale: 5360lbs.

That means my tongue weight of 540 with no water is just above 10%. I filled both propane tanks to give it a bit more tongue weight but didn't reweigh after. It was 97 degrees out and I was done. In this trailer it looks like the fresh water is in the very rear of the trailer so the tongue weight will likely go down. At least I know now to load heavy stuff toward the front. Too bad the big outside storage hatch is also near to the back of the trailer. *shrug* I have been towing it with my diesel Chevy Colorado but haven't gone too far. Getting the weight distribution hitch put on soon.
Thanks for posting. I added your trailer to the spreadsheet version of Trailer Weights in the Real World.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:34 AM   #373

Registry
JonRaw: lots of good info about your trailer and situation. That storage at the very back can be filled, maybe, with very large but light things like folding chairs. Of course you really needed me to tell you that!

Wishing you good times!

BEST
"K"
Old 06-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #374

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Is there somewhere that I can find the "real world" weight of the Escape 21?
Old 06-24-2019, 03:35 AM   #375

Registry
Is there any way to view Jon's Excel spreadsheet without having Excel? I've been trying to find the real world weight of the Escape 21 as compared to the Bigfoot 21. I find lots on the Bigfoot 21 but nothing on the Escape 21.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:23 AM   #376

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Is there any way to view Jon's Excel spreadsheet without having Excel? I've been trying to find the real world weight of the Escape 21 as compared to the Bigfoot 21. I find lots on the Bigfoot 21 but nothing on the Escape 21.
Steve
Search for Open Office.
It's a free, open source suite, compatible with most of MS Office, including Excel.

Walt
Old 06-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #377

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
One time....
Attached Thumbnails
Escape21.JPG  
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:04 AM   #378

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jon V. is keeping a list too, it actually adds to Frederick's. There are more 21' Escape's in this list. Available for download: http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xls
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:19 AM   #379
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Real weights

Donna,

I don't see anything in the file attachment ? Am I doing something wrong?

Deb
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:28 AM   #380

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Jon V. is keeping a list too, it actually adds to Frederick's. There are more 21' Escape's in this list. Available for download: http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xls
Thanks Donna. unfortunately I've clicked on that link several times to no avail. I then tried downloading it and when I tried to open it a message came up stating that I do not have Excel.

Tags
weighing, weight