Trailer Weights in the Real World - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #21

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Jack, You mentioned propane tanks (plural). Do you have a dual setup? U-hauls usually only have one tank, I'm just wondering. Additionally, what do you have that would add appreciable weight such as swamp cooler or AC, propane furnace, 3way fridge, solar panel, spare tire, etc. Thanks!
Pam - Yes, I have (plural) tanks: one propane tank and one water tank. I swapped out the OE swamp cooler for a fan, and replaced the OE ice box with a storage cabinet for kitchen gear. The UHaul CT13's original furnace, solar panel and spare tire are still in use.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #22

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Great information!

I'm wondering how you weigh or calculate the tandem axles. The last picture in post #9 shows a tandem with one wheel on blocks and the other on the scale.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #23

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
I weighed my UHaul CT13 at a commercial truck scale. First, weighed the trailer while hitched on to the car (car OFF the scale) to get the axle weight (1400lbs.). Then the trailer unhitched with tongue wheel/jack ON the scale to get the total weight (1550lbs.). 1550 - 1400 = 150lbs. tongue weight.

We were on the road at the time, and the UHaul was actually loaded for camping with full propane and water tanks, bedding, clothing and kitchen gear, so the dry weight would be something less.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Frederick,
This was our 20 ft. Bigfoot TF Deluxe at Bandon last year from your spreadsheet:
20'..........Bigfoot.....5th Wheel......4420........640...........5060

It had dual axles and an extra hitch mounted storage box on the back loaded, as opposed to a single axle that you weighed this year. I don't know if you want to note that or not? Thanks for doing this each year at Bandon, it is a real eye-opener for safety.
Deb
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #25

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I'm wondering how you weigh or calculate the tandem axles. The last picture in post #9 shows a tandem with one wheel on blocks and the other on the scale.
I had to go back and edit post #9. The software change to vBulletin® scrambled the way I originally posted the pictures, and chopped off some text. The 2 pictures of the tandem axle weigh-in are now back together. I had blocks before and after the scales on both sides; look closely at the two pictures.
  1. The trailer would first put the front axle onto the back blocks.
  2. Then the trailer would put the front axle on the scale, and the back axle on the back blocks.
  3. Then the trailer would put the front axle on the front blocks, and the back axle on the scale.
  4. Then the trailer would drive off the blocks (and Scale)
This would be a slow but bumpy process.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #26

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Thank you
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #27

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
Thanks,
What a great resource. Your efforts are definitely appreciated.

I love that the U-Haul is one of the lighter ones, since we only have a Subaru Impreza.

Bridget
Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #28

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Just weighed our Scamp. No cargo at all. No water. Mostly full propane. No battery. Only big option is the 3-way fridge.

1984 Scamp 13'
Axle = 1,060 pounds
Tongue = 136 pounds
Total weight = 1,196 pounds
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy No Trilliums Weighed?

We weighed our 2009 Trillium 1300 at a scale at a nearby coal company. The lady was going to charge $5, but when I told her that I didn't need a certified copy, I just wanted to measure for my own information, she said, "Well, I'll turn on the outside display and you can measure what you want. No charge."
I wish I had written the information down, but the trailer with the tongue on the scale only attached to the TV by the safety chains yielded 1750#. We didn't have a lot of stuff on board, so I hope when I am packed for the road, it is below the 2000# capacity of our Subaru Outback.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #30

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Will have to get to a scale when mods done

When tested will have propane tanks full and water full with gear just to get the real weight. The Dry weight is just not the full deal thanks for the info.
Borden
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #31

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
No Trilliums weighed?
I found additional paperwork from the 2010 Lake Casitas weigh-in, plus kept some from the just completed Quartzsite trip...

I added 10 trailers to the list in post #1. Including 2 Trillium!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #32

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Thanks Frederick for the update. I use this post a lot to link newbies looking to stay within their tow capacity.

I only wished it could be come a sticky! Not the whole post, but certainly your weight in results.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #33

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Watch your tongue!

This is valuable information! I had a couple of observations.

1. It looks like several of the trailers are light on the tongue, some significantly (see attachment)

Are there different rules for fifth wheel hitch weight ratios?

2. I wasn't able to confirm whether the Escapes were the Travel Trailer (19) or Fifth Wheel (5.0) configuration. Only one had a designation.

3. I think it would be great to capture the manufactured year as weights have tended to increase over a production lifecycle.

Regards,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Underweight Trailer Tongue.png  
Old 02-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #34

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Matt,
Only about half of those listed are considered light on the tongue for a Subaru. My Subaru manual states 8% - 11% tongue weight.
They would all be light based on my Dodge pickup recommendation of 10% - 15%.
Sure seems ironic that my Scamp properly set up to be towed by my relatively light weight Subaru could be considered "too light on the tongue" when towed by my beefier Dodge pickup!
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #35

Registry
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
I had a couple of observations.

2. I wasn't able to confirm whether the Escapes were the Travel Trailer (19) or Fifth Wheel (5.0) configuration. Only one had a designation.

3. I think it would be great to capture the manufactured year as weights have tended to increase over a production lifecycle.
#2. Scamp doesn't designate their "goose-neck" 19 foot trailer as a "5th wheel". Their official designation is the Scamp 19.

Escape designates their 5th wheel so and calls it a "5.0" while their conventional hitch is known as the Escape 19.
So in my chart, the conventional Escape 19 is the TT (for Travel Trailer).

BTW, since Fiber Stream made only one model, the data I have called it either just "Fiber Stream" or "Fiber Stream 16".

#3. I'll have to look to see if I kept the papers from the weigh-ins; they list the year.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #36

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggerty View Post
Matt,
Only about half of those listed are considered light on the tongue for a Subaru. My Subaru manual states 8% - 11% tongue weight.
Matt I have to agree with John on this one. Have a hunch the Scamp you show on your list at just under 10% on the tongue may be mine and its being pulled by a Subaru. So it is not light on the tongue - actually well within Subaru's specs. I have hauled that trailer thousands of miles with the Subaru and have not had any wag issues - including in serious wind and snow storms.

Just a quess on my part but the lower % tongue weight requirement by Subaru *may* be due to the All Wheel drive set up and the fact the Subaru is lower to the ground than many other SUV's or pick ups which results in different traction and airodynamics.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #37

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Frederick, this is great information. We haven't had an opportunity to have our 19' Escape weighed yet and I was a bit surprised to see 3 of the 4 you weighed to be in the 3800# - 3900# range. Out of curiosity, I checked the decal on ours today and found out the GVWR of our trailer is 1818 kg (approx.4008#). It's going to make me more diligent in how we load our trailer, have ours weighed once we get it mobilized for the season and pay attention to what the weights are. Thanks!
Mike Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #38

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Morrison View Post
Frederick, this is great information. We haven't had an opportunity to have our 19' Escape weighed yet and I was a bit surprised to see 3 of the 4 you weighed to be in the 3800# - 3900# range. Out of curiosity, I checked the decal on ours today and found out the GVWR of our trailer is 1818 kg (approx.4008#). It's going to make me more diligent in how we load our trailer, have ours weighed once we get it mobilized for the season and pay attention to what the weights are. Thanks!
Could they have been Escape fifth wheels? The trailer model isn't listed and both the 5.0 and 19 models are the same length, 19.5 feet. The 5th wheel's heavier.

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #39

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Frederick L. Simson... This may be a redundant question...BUT!!! The Mfg's tag on our 5.0's axle quotes 3500#s max. cap. not including wheels and tires. Is the hitch weight over and above the axle weight???
I've lost 33 lbs so far... so, using budget reduction formula, it'll really help our GCVWR
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #40

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Though it takes two trips, you can get your rigs weighed at any landfill that charges by weight.
One trip, tow vehicle only; one trip, vehicle and trailer: Go home and do the math.
Accurate and free!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weighing, weight