Trailer Weights in the Real World - Page 21 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2020, 11:51 AM   #401
Senior Member
 
Jon Vermilye's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Posts: 2,076
Registry
I don't know if it will make a difference in the links to the trailer weight spreadsheet, but I upgraded it from a .xls to a .xlsx file format. 193 trailers in the spreadsheet!

http://IWASNOTSSL-lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xlsx
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #402
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 4,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I don't know if it will make a difference in the links to the trailer weight spreadsheet, but I upgraded it from a .xls to a .xlsx file format. 193 trailers in the spreadsheet!

http://IWASNOTSSL-lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xlsx
Appears to still work just fine with https://www.libreoffice.org/

Which by the way is free so anyone who does not want to feed the Microsoft machine can use it to view and sort the data.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #403
Senior Member
 
Radar1's Avatar
 
Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 (sold), Escape 19
Georgia
Posts: 1,039
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I don't know if it will make a difference in the links to the trailer weight spreadsheet, but I upgraded it from a .xls to a .xlsx file format. 193 trailers in the spreadsheet!

http://IWASNOTSSL-lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xlsx
Thanks for keeping that list updated and sortable. Still works for me on my Planmaker free edition.
__________________
John-Dave and Marilyn
Sharpsburg, GA
04 Dodge Dakota V-8, 17 Dodge Durango V-6, 19 Ford Ranger 2.3 Ecoboost
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #404
Junior Member
 
Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2003 13' Scamp
Minnesota
Posts: 18
So we finally got our 13' Scamp weighed (at a metal recycling place, only cost $5)
it is: 13'Scamp, 2002, bunk bed, no toilet or shower, regular size battery on tongue, half full metal propane tank on tongue, nothing in the water tank, nothing in refrig, minimal personal stuff in trailer.
Weighed on scale of size to accommodate truck or pick up with trailer, I parked trailer on scale, removed my vehicle, weighed. Gross weight was 1360. Drove home, used bathroom scale to weigh tongue: 172.8. should be 10-15%, 10% is 136, 15% 204.
jeffminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:40 AM   #405
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Posts: 1,070
Registry
Tongue weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffminnesota View Post
So we finally got our 13' Scamp weighed (at a metal recycling place, only cost $5)
it is: 13'Scamp, 2002, bunk bed, no toilet or shower, regular size battery on tongue, half full metal propane tank on tongue, nothing in the water tank, nothing in refrig, minimal personal stuff in trailer.
Weighed on scale of size to accommodate truck or pick up with trailer, I parked trailer on scale, removed my vehicle, weighed. Gross weight was 1360. Drove home, used bathroom scale to weigh tongue: 172.8. should be 10-15%, 10% is 136, 15% 204.
Hi Subaru and Toyota told us that 8% to 9% is best for pulling with a car so your trailer is very light and the weight would be low if pulled by a car.
__________________
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:04 AM   #406
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,429
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Hi Subaru and Toyota told us that 8% to 9% is best for pulling with a car so your trailer is very light and the weight would be low if pulled by a car.
Boat trailers can be safely towed with lower tongue weights, but many travel trailers- including my Scamp- will start to exhibit a tendency to wag the tail at highway speeds (60-65 mph) with less than 10% tongue weight. Tail-wagging can easily turn into full-blown sway with a sudden gust of wind, hitting the brakes, or swerving to avoid road debris.

I have found 12% TW to be a very good target for a 13' Scamp.

The folks at Subaru and Toyota are either misinformed or unaware of the type of trailer involved, maybe a little of both.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #407
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Posts: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The folks at Subaru and Toyota are either misinformed or unaware of the type of trailer involved, maybe a little of both.

I'm surprised you got any sort of answer from Subaru or Toyota, other than what is fully vetted in the instruction manual. Who were these "folks"?
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:42 PM   #408
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Posts: 2,107
those boat trailers tend to have a long tongue with the weight towards the bakc of the trailer near the axle. our campers do not. I used to tow a 16 foot Hobie Cat, whole trailer weighed a bit over 1000 lbs, but I could pick up the tongue with one hand and drop it on the tow ball, guessing 50 lbs tongue weight, which is like 5%. it was totally stable, because the length of the tongue to axle relative to the CoG, also the fact that it had a very low CoG.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weighing, weight


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trailer Weights...What are They Really? Pamela H Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 55 12-01-2009 02:21 PM
List of trailer real weights? Cory Lewis Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 10 11-11-2009 08:17 AM
World's smallest trailer... Roger H General Chat 3 12-27-2008 08:21 PM
Realistic Tow/Cargo Weights V'sGlassSleeper General Chat 25 07-18-2007 12:11 PM
Real world weight issues Legacy Posts General Chat 2 05-02-2003 05:52 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.