Trailer Weights in the Real World - Page 21 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-28-2020, 11:51 AM   #401

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
I don't know if it will make a difference in the links to the trailer weight spreadsheet, but I upgraded it from a .xls to a .xlsx file format. 193 trailers in the spreadsheet!

http://IWASNOTSSL-lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xlsx
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #402

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I don't know if it will make a difference in the links to the trailer weight spreadsheet, but I upgraded it from a .xls to a .xlsx file format. 193 trailers in the spreadsheet!

Appears to still work just fine with https://www.libreoffice.org/

Which by the way is free so anyone who does not want to feed the Microsoft machine can use it to view and sort the data.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #403

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 (sold), Escape 19
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post

Thanks for keeping that list updated and sortable. Still works for me on my Planmaker free edition.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #404

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2003 13' Scamp
Minnesota
So we finally got our 13' Scamp weighed (at a metal recycling place, only cost $5)
it is: 13'Scamp, 2002, bunk bed, no toilet or shower, regular size battery on tongue, half full metal propane tank on tongue, nothing in the water tank, nothing in refrig, minimal personal stuff in trailer.
Weighed on scale of size to accommodate truck or pick up with trailer, I parked trailer on scale, removed my vehicle, weighed. Gross weight was 1360. Drove home, used bathroom scale to weigh tongue: 172.8. should be 10-15%, 10% is 136, 15% 204.
jeffminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:40 AM   #405

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Tongue weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffminnesota View Post
So we finally got our 13' Scamp weighed (at a metal recycling place, only cost $5)
it is: 13'Scamp, 2002, bunk bed, no toilet or shower, regular size battery on tongue, half full metal propane tank on tongue, nothing in the water tank, nothing in refrig, minimal personal stuff in trailer.
Weighed on scale of size to accommodate truck or pick up with trailer, I parked trailer on scale, removed my vehicle, weighed. Gross weight was 1360. Drove home, used bathroom scale to weigh tongue: 172.8. should be 10-15%, 10% is 136, 15% 204.
Hi Subaru and Toyota told us that 8% to 9% is best for pulling with a car so your trailer is very light and the weight would be low if pulled by a car.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:04 AM   #406

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Hi Subaru and Toyota told us that 8% to 9% is best for pulling with a car so your trailer is very light and the weight would be low if pulled by a car.
Boat trailers can be safely towed with lower tongue weights, but many travel trailers- including my Scamp- will start to exhibit a tendency to wag the tail at highway speeds (60-65 mph) with less than 10% tongue weight. Tail-wagging can easily turn into full-blown sway with a sudden gust of wind, hitting the brakes, or swerving to avoid road debris.

I have found 12% TW to be a very good target for a 13' Scamp.

The folks at Subaru and Toyota are either misinformed or unaware of the type of trailer involved, maybe a little of both.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #407

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The folks at Subaru and Toyota are either misinformed or unaware of the type of trailer involved, maybe a little of both.

I'm surprised you got any sort of answer from Subaru or Toyota, other than what is fully vetted in the instruction manual. Who were these "folks"?
Old 10-31-2020, 05:42 PM   #408

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
those boat trailers tend to have a long tongue with the weight towards the bakc of the trailer near the axle. our campers do not. I used to tow a 16 foot Hobie Cat, whole trailer weighed a bit over 1000 lbs, but I could pick up the tongue with one hand and drop it on the tow ball, guessing 50 lbs tongue weight, which is like 5%. it was totally stable, because the length of the tongue to axle relative to the CoG, also the fact that it had a very low CoG.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weighing, weight