Trailer Weights in the Real World - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #241

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree. This data is not about making rigorous statistical conclusions, it is about educating trailer owners to the reality that when they pull their egg down the road, it is going to weigh significantly more than the number in the brochure or specs webpage... and to give them a rough idea of what the weight might be.
Absolutely, absolutely, absolutely
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #242

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
One thing I can say about the weigh ins is that Frederick had a pretty slick set up that we drove the trailers over for weighing and he was also diligent in making sure that once at our camping sites and unhooked that the tongue of the trailer was sitting at the same level it would be hooked to the tug when they were weighed. He was also very clear that nothing was to have been moved or taken out of the trailer before he weighed the tongue.

The assumption that not all the trailers that attended the two meets I was at that had the weigh ins is correct. For what ever reason a lot of folks apparently were not interested in having their trailers weighed, although the process took only a minute or two to do.

re some of the manufactures weigh their trailers once all the options are on the trailer. That is true but as far as I can tell it is a fairly new practice - in fact I seem to recall reading about some new rules requiring them all to do it now - could be wrong and perhaps it was only if they were members of a particular RV manufacturing association.

Historically all the manufactures seemed to have published dry weights that didnt include much of anything that was also listed as an option, ie propane tanks, extra overhead bins, toilets, fridges, hot water tanks, awnings and ac etc. I seem to recall not so long ago that this had changed and that there had been some sort of agreement put in place as to what will and will not be included in dry weights - again it may just be one particular RV association or something like that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #243

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post
However, Casita weights reported on their website are about 200 pounds heavier than similar bare-bones Scamps and if anything the average Casita should be heavier than the average Scamp.
To make comparisons between Scamps and similar Casitas, we must compare using just the 16' Casitas as Scamp does not offer a 17' version of its trailer. However, the 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe is by far the most popular trailer in the size category from my personal observations, outnumbering the 16' Casita Spirit Deluxe by 3 to 1. This makes comparisons somewhat Apples vs. Oranges in my opinion.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #244

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post
Is anybody aware of compiled real-world weights for dry, unloaded trailers?
Member here Steve Dunham wrote to Scamp some time back with a similar question and received copies of actual trucking/delivery company weight tickets for several models.

These weight tickets can in my opinion be relied on since trucking companies operate at least in part on a by-the-pound basis.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #245

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
With Frederick's permission, I have posted a copy of the "Trailer Weights in the Real World" spreadsheet in .xls format for those that want to sort it for their own use. Clicking on the link will download a copy (currently a 33KB file). If additions are added to this thread, or when Frederick weighs more trailers, I'll update the spreadsheet.

Jon
Jon, we weighed our 1987 17' Bigfoot (Model B17SW) just before we left in mid-March on our latest trip. Date of weighing was 3/14/2013. Axle weight was 2,700 lbs. Tongue weight was 298 lbs. We weighed the axle at our local transfer station. We weighed the tongue carefully (same level as it would be on the ball) at home with a digital bathroom scale that goes up to 450 lbs (people are getting heavier!). The trailer was loaded for the trip except for some last minute groceries to go in the fridge and a few other items - nothing that would change the weight significantly. We had a half tank (about 14 gal.) of fresh water, empty waste water tanks and our propane tanks were probably 90% full. We try to run as light as possible, keeping heavier items (tool box, 3 gallon jug of water, canned goods, etc.) in our tow vehicle.

Those considering a Bigfoot might be interested in these figures. Feel free to add them to the spreadsheet if you want to. The data from this thread was invaluable to us when we were trailer shopping. Our original brochure says: "17 foot starting at...only 1875 lbs. (Approximately) Dry with Standard Equipment". Ha! Some approximation!

Frederick - wish you were still doing these "official" weigh ins at the Oregon Gathering.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #246

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
Frederick - wish you were still doing these "official" weigh ins at the Oregon Gathering.
I'll need to purchase a pair of portable "wheel weigher" scales of my own. I can get wholesale pricing of $1,000.00 each (or $2,000.00 for the pair) for units that have a capacity of 10,000 pounds and weigh in 5 pound increments. Maybe I should take up a collection?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #247

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I added your Bigfoot as well as my Escape 17B, and updated the spreadsheet. I believe every trailer (fiberglass or not) has unrealistic "dry weights". For example, my Escape is listed at 2100 lbs, but loaded for a trip it is 3010 lbs.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #248

Washington
Registry
Frederick, we'll chip in $20. Now you only have to get $1,980 more!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #249

Washington
Registry
We belong to The Escapees RV club and they do weigh ins at some of their events. $55 for towed RV and tow vehicle: SmartWeigh_Default
Old 04-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #250

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I believe every trailer (fiberglass or not) has unrealistic "dry weights". For example, my Escape is listed at 2100 lbs, but loaded for a trip it is 3010 lbs.
Although advertised dry weights are often inaccurate, this example is not evidence of anything inaccurate or unrealistic. The weight of that Escape without water, propane, and Jon's stuff could be exactly the listed 2100 pounds (of course, it could also be wrong).

The manufacturer of an RV (of any kind) cannot possibly anticipate what the user will carry; what do people expect them to publish?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #251

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Heh how about some ParkLiner's too! Lol
Well not that this can be accepted as "Official"??

...But Cari & I weighed our PL 035 at the scales as we headed out on our maiden voyage the other weekend. We had a ~week's worth of gear (our normal _packing_ for an adventure) plus 15 gallon fresh tank filled (this is ~same weight as the two AGM batteries located directly opposite so we will travel like this as the rig is balanced), and all assorted Lego-leveling blocks and Bal-leveler etc. The only thing missing was the aluminum tongue box...so i will update next trip to the scales.

Axle weight = 2400lbs
Tongue weight = 232lbs

Our unit is not typical, in that we requested no propane system, no hot water or room heater, no marine toilet. So we can justify running with a full 15 gallon tank to balance it out side to side.

I would be curious as to what other PL owners like Brian, Mark, and Tim's units weigh as they should be more _typical_ as i believe theirs have the usual trimmings most would request.

Happy Trails,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #252

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I just checked the weight of my 94 Bigfoot 17CB and I expected it to weigh more than the weight published by Bigfoot but I did not expect it to be as heavy as it was.

Axle weight 3000#
Toung weight 400#

Both holding tanks were empty. Fresh water tank 1/4 full. One full and one partial tank of propane. Very limited load of food or gear. This unit has AC, hot water and furnace.

While I'm disapointed in the numbers, I'm glad to know what they really are. I'll have to be very careful when packing for trips.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #253

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I'm glad to know what they really are.

Knowledge is a wonderful thing! Happy Camping..........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #254
Commercial Member

Trailer: Oliver Legacy
Interesting articles in RVBusiness Mag

Two items I found in the May/June 2013 “RVBusiness” magazine that may or may not fit in this tread are:

Cover story “Riding the Light-Weight Wave” referring to trailers. The cover page refers to light weight as (mostly) well under 7,500 lbs. In the article it points out that the all the terminology lightweight, lite-weight, ultra-light weight, ultra-lite and super-lightweight being used by the manufactures is used mainly as a marketing aspect and there are no industry guide lines to follow with the usage of the above terms.
So, knowing the actual weight before buying is the route to go.

Along these lines I was also surprised to learn the American truck manufacturers use their own standards for calculating their vehicles towing capacity making a comparison between brands more difficult. (page 78 of the same magazine)

So, I guess both the 17 and 22 foot “Oliver Travel Trailers” can fall into the ‘Light Weight” definition but certainly not the “Ultra-Lite Weight”…
Robert Partee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #255

Name: B
Trailer: 1982 Casita 13'
Virginia
I weighed my 1982 Casita 13' at certified truck scales yesterday: 1,220 pounds.
Checked tongue weight at home and it was 138 pounds.

This weight was empty of everything removable; such as cushions, water, jacks, cords, battery, etc. I had left the full propane tank on the front.
boley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #256

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I have added both Jack L's Bigfoot and boley's Casita to the Excel version of Fredericks's "Trailer Weights in the Real World" at LakeshoreImages.

Clicking on the link will download a copy of the spreadsheet.

Frederick has given me permission to post the spreadsheet in Excel format so the data can be accessed and sorted directly. Again, I will update the spreadsheet as individuals post or email me their information.

My email is vermilye@oswego.edu and it has been posted so many times I have no problems with posting it!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #257

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Asae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Partee View Post
Two items I found this tread

Along these lines I was also surprised to learn the American truck manufacturers use their own standards for calculating their vehicles towing capacity making a comparison between brands more difficult. (page 78 of the same magazine) Weight”
Thomas G ? I was of the understanding that the ASAE had set a standard for determining the tow rating of a vehicle (Based on suspension , steering, braking ,acceleration ETC . I also read that all the domestic truck manufacturers had agreed to the standard but several foreign truck manufactures had not. Am I mistaken or under a false interpretation of the article I read ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #258

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I was of the understanding that the ASAE had set a standard for determining the tow rating of a vehicle (Based on suspension , steering, braking ,acceleration ETC . I also read that all the domestic truck manufacturers had agreed to the standard but several foreign truck manufactures had not. Am I mistaken or under a false interpretation of the article I read ?

Well all the domestic truck manufactures did agree as did the foreign companies..... but then it was most of the NA manufacturers that decided to bail out on it for 2013 which was suppose to be the first year they all did it .... looks like it may have been Ford who back out first, followed by GM and Chrysler. Funny enough it is the foreign truck manufacture Toyota (as well as a few others) who continued to use the ASAE.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #259

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Thomas G ? I was of the understanding that the ASAE had set a standard for determining the tow rating of a vehicle (Based on suspension , steering, braking ,acceleration ETC . I also read that all the domestic truck manufacturers had agreed to the standard but several foreign truck manufactures had not. Am I mistaken or under a false interpretation of the article I read ?
Yes, they agreed and then they didn't. The problem was phasing it in such that one manufacturer did not have a perceived advantage in towing capacity during the phase in.

I'm sure eventually everyone will use the SAE J2807.

Standardized Tow Ratings: Why Automakers Aren't Using Them -- Edmunds.com
Old 07-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #260

Name: Loyce
Trailer: Hunter 1
Oregon
Registry
Hit a weigh station on the way home from the Oregon Gathering. 1974 Hunter 1 with new cabinets in the rear loaded to the gills with gear 1800 lbs. No tongue weight available at the time but my husband (250 lbs) was able to climb in the back without jacks or it being hooked up and it didn't flip up on him. 2010 Subaru Forrester towed it with no problem.
Loyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weighing, weight