Trailers made in Mexico? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-24-2021, 04:32 PM   #21

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
The new camper is a Cortez.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:11 PM   #22

Name: Cece
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 19’ :)
Ohio
I don’t think I would rule out traveling to Mexico out of hand. I’ve read that the toll roads are safe and well maintained, and there are great RV resorts along the coasts. A cheap winter campground by the ocean sounds pretty sweet!

Of course I would speak to other people who have traveled south to learn from their experiences, just as I would before heading out anywhere. Also I wouldn’t want to go across the border until the vaccination rates are higher. But since I’m only just getting ready to order my dream Scamp, I have plenty of time for these decisions later.
Ceceoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #23

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The 1998-2000 vintage Burros were in fact fabricated in Tijuana, and assembled in Escondido, CA.

The early CA Burros were of satisfactory quality. Toward the end of production, the quality both of the molded fiberglass and the assembly left a great deal to be desired.

In the mid 2000's I investigated ressurecting Burro here in Iowa and abandoned the idea. Someone found out I had done that research and contacted me and the EggCamper was the result of that production run. As you know he's now ceased manufacturing, and has apparently sold the molds and operation to another company. The Burro design was built first as the Cloud in the early '70s in St. Cloud Minnesota. By the late '70s Burro had begun production in Plymouth MN. Then it showed up in Sac City Iowa from '78-'90... and then it re-appeared in Escondido, Ca in 1998.

I don't see any great benefit to moving production away from a single facility production and sales, or having them built and assembled in Mexico and then having to import them to sell through a dealer network. There just isn't that much mark-up in them nor a large enough markte to make that a viable marketing model.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...html#post42160
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Thanks for the history on the Burro Roger. I see one here in Iowa once in a while and saw one that was all dolled up in Southern Illinois last fall. Not a lot of small states like Iowa that can claim two fiberglass trailer manufacturers in the past (Burro and Love Bug in Tripoli). There was a business in Council Bluffs when I lived there called Council Hitch Service. I drove by their shop every day on my way to work. In about the spring of 76 or 77 four new scamp trailers appeared on their lot for sale. I never stopped to look at them as I had a pickup truck camper at the time. It took many months for them to sell and I never saw a “restock”. They did some work on a hitch for me to pull our 77 Venture fold down with my 78 “big” Bronco. Did not care for the job they did and never went back. Redid the job myself when I had time and made it right.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:27 PM   #25

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Your eagle pictures are great. Only see this in Alaska and Canada. We do see one once in a while in the lower 48 but not often. Can't get enough of these magnificent birds.
You can see these in Northern California any old time!

https://www.geocam.ru/en/online/redding-eagles/
Old 04-28-2021, 01:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Thanks for the history on the Burro Roger. I see one here in Iowa once in a while and saw one that was all dolled up in Southern Illinois last fall. Not a lot of small states like Iowa that can claim two fiberglass trailer manufacturers in the past (Burro and Love Bug in Tripoli). There was a business in Council Bluffs when I lived there called Council Hitch Service. I drove by their shop every day on my way to work. In about the spring of 76 or 77 four new scamp trailers appeared on their lot for sale. I never stopped to look at them as I had a pickup truck camper at the time. It took many months for them to sell and I never saw a “restock”. They did some work on a hitch for me to pull our 77 Venture fold down with my 78 “big” Bronco. Did not care for the job they did and never went back. Redid the job myself when I had time and made it right.
Iowa Dave
My pleasure. My father adjusted crop hail insurance in the summers and called on the guy who owned Love Bug back when he was producing trailers out of an old hog house on his farm. I briefly owned a Love Bug II in 2004. A lady in Lake Tahoe decided she wanted it more than I did, so I sold it. It was a pretty nice trailer. In any event, it was probably the last one finished... it was titled and first registered in 2001, but was probably completed and sat in storage around 1995 or so. It had good bones, but was really inexpensively assembled, and the workmanship and quality of materials left a lot to be desired. but by then I believe Love Bug was being manufactured in MN... I'd have to pull out the old paperwork I've got around somewhere to be sure. The '87 Burro 17 I had was much higher quality.

Exterior 1 by Roger H, on Flickr

Oh, and you'll note that the '87 Burro was one of the few ever built with a brick chimney. It was quite the custom trailer.

Curb Side by Roger H, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/s/aHsiNSqvWC
Old 04-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'd not seen a Love Bug II before. Fridge location is very unusual- I'd love to see the interior layout.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'd not seen a Love Bug II before. Fridge location is very unusual- I'd love to see the interior layout.
click on the link below the Burro in my last post.

At one time there were two or three of us here on FGRV who had them... but that was in 2004 or so...
Old 04-28-2021, 03:36 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Love the curtains behind the range burners.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 2.35.35 PM.jpg  
Old 04-28-2021, 03:45 PM   #30

Name: Brad
Trailer: Interested
Montana
Well how about Casita?

Its Spanish which is what is spoken in Mexico. Made close to Mexico and I would think there are some Mexican folks working there. That's close.
Montana Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Love the curtains behind the range burners.
Yes, a "Better Idea" from Love Bug. Those didn't remain there.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:13 PM   #32

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
Oh, and you'll note that the '87 Burro was one of the few ever built with a brick chimney. It was quite the custom trailer.
Nice!

Hey, maybe that's where they got the "brick" color for the Burro logo - ?!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote