Trailers made in Mexico? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2021, 04:54 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Trailers made in Mexico?

With the high price if new fiberglass trailers and it appears they are mostly made in the USA and CA, I was wondering why we dont see any lower cost options made in Mexico. Is the RV scene in Mexico just not large enough to support a national company making them inside Mexico.
jeremycobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:06 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If searching for a lower cost alternative to a FG trailer then a used stick built trailer may be your best bet .
As far as Mexican built FG trailers I will keep my opinion to myself
I am extremely happy & proud that Scamp is built in my home state of Minnesota.and in the USA
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Having managed factories in the US, we had identical operations in Mexico. We did not see any overall savings from those operations. First, they tended to be farther from suppliers and customers. Sure, their labor rates were a small fraction of the US. But that was their only advantage.

Without a significant RV market in Mexico itself, and suppliers locating in Mexico as well, the savings just aren’t there.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:59 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Is the border open for USA campers going into Mexico? Not that I’m interested in going there, I just haven’t followed it.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:23 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Speaking of, what happened to that new entry into the travel trailer market? The one with the name offensive to just about everybody?
Old 04-20-2021, 07:38 PM   #6

Iowa
What was that name? Hmmmmm, how soon I forget. In fact it’s sooner all the time. Have a good week Glenn. Saw an Eagle landing in a tree today about a quarter mile across the river. Thought of the photo you posted a few years back.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-20-2021, 07:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If searching for a lower cost alternative to a FG trailer then a used stick built trailer may be your best bet .
Oh for sure, the Coleman Lantern 17b is on my radar as I need a bunk for the kids and it cost 3x less then the Escape 17B

Quote:
As far as Mexican built FG trailers I will keep my opinion to myself
Yeah, understood and that's for the best.

Quote:
I am extremely happy & proud that Scamp is built in my home state of Minnesota.and in the USA
I dont really mind that the Trailer I want is Canadian made (Escape 17 as I tend to be a global brand shopper. I prefer Honda over Harley and Ford over Toyota. I just wanted to see why this market has been ignored in Mexico. I assume RV life is more of a luxury and the USA has a wider middle class.
jeremycobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:56 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Speaking of, what happened to that new entry into the travel trailer market?
The Credenza?!?

It seems like there was an old Groucho Marx routine about the Toyota brand. It went something like:

"Corona, Corolla, Celica; sounds like two cigars and a Transylvanian vampire."

I already know that I'm nuts, but does anyone else remember this?

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:00 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
What was that name? Hmmmmm, how soon I forget. In fact it’s sooner all the time. Have a good week Glenn. Saw an Eagle landing in a tree today about a quarter mile across the river. Thought of the photo you posted a few years back.
Iowa Dave

Still have it. Them. Was able to shoot the pix from my zero gravity chair.
Attached Thumbnails
eagle again - 1.jpg   Eagle has landed.jpg  

Old 04-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #10

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycobert View Post
With the high price if new fiberglass trailers and it appears they are mostly made in the USA and CA, I was wondering why we dont see any lower cost options made in Mexico. Is the RV scene in Mexico just not large enough to support a national company making them inside Mexico.
If you looked at the required plant investment, proximity to suppliers, and cost of overhead (Engineers, accountants, etc. tend to have similar salaries to the US), I don't think it would pencil out, given the current size of Mexico's RV market. The direct labor would be the only real savings, and that would be eaten up by transportation costs and lack of flexibility in production.

All the major automakers produce cars and trucks in Mexico for both its market and the US market, and they are high quality cars. It would be impossible to tell where a car was made were it not for labels and Monroney sticker on the vehicle. The days of Yugos (Fiat 128 license) seem to be long gone.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:43 AM   #11

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
People purchase all sorts of other stuff "Hecho in Mexico" that has acceptable quality function everyday.

Why would you expect a fiberglass or sticky built trailer to be any different?

A least you would know that a "Elkhart Meth Head" did not assemble your trailer. The assembly crew might only be "Monterey Drunk"!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:19 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
At the end of the Burro trailer production the shells were built in Mexico. There was a dispute over payment for the shells and the molds were burned up for non payment. I have a friend who lost his deposit on a Burro like the Snoozy incident. I guess you can say he got burned on the deal.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:49 AM   #13

Name: Allen
Trailer: in the market
Quebec
Spectacular photos ~
thekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Funny stuff as long as we keep to the golden rule

Now I think about it a Meth head may be great for the final buff job before they slide out the door. My Scamp would be seen from the Space station!
John
Old 04-21-2021, 03:56 PM   #15

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Still have it. Them. Was able to shoot the pix from my zero gravity chair.
Your eagle pictures are great. Only see this in Alaska and Canada. We do see one once in a while in the lower 48 but not often. Can't get enough of these magnificent birds.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:42 PM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Your eagle pictures are great. Only see this in Alaska and Canada. We do see one once in a while in the lower 48 but not often. Can't get enough of these magnificent birds.
It was a couple of years ago, but in Calgary, I saw a mature bald eagle flying over the river. Felt like I could touch him, probably due to the large size. I understand that there is a small population of them here.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:46 PM   #17

Quote:
We live in NE Minnesota and have plenty of bald eagles here. One Sunday on the way to church we saw three of them "arguing" over a road kill deer. Have a few nesting near our home and yes they are neat to see.
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
They have thankfully gotten more common. We have a nesting pair in my town right now with two newborns. Getting a lot of photos posted every day or two. Magnificent!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:37 PM   #19

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Is the border open for USA campers going into Mexico? Not that I’m interested in going there, I just haven’t followed it.
Iowa Dave
I think that somewhere in the past I can remember that we used to have a border... Anyway, I would think there would be plenty of places to go in Mexico since it seems everyone is coming up here. Just an observation...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:00 PM   #20

Iowa
My brother and some friends went to Guatemala years ago Gasoline was very cheap and they stayed lubricated by buying a quart of real vanilla every day. He still talks about it I only think about going to Canada.
I don’t have an interest in Mexico , just never did. Although I do like desert animals.
Iowa Dave