Trans Labrador Highway - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Trans Labrador Highway

I’m wondering if any folks on this forum have traveled across Labrador. My wife and I are planning another trip to Newfoundland and considering a route up through Quebec and then east across Labrador and then the ferry to Newfoundland. It’s a long trail for sure! We are wondering if there are pull-offs suitable for camping?
Steve
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:59 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
I’m wondering if any folks on this forum have traveled across Labrador. My wife and I are planning another trip to Newfoundland and considering a route up through Quebec and then east across Labrador and then the ferry to Newfoundland. It’s a long trail for sure! We are wondering if there are pull-offs suitable for camping?
Steve
We have made that same trip in the other direction. As to places to stop they are everywhere also there are reasonable provincial parks and former provincial parks. This includes the road through Quebec, Rt 389?. The first obstacle is the road up the side of Manic 5, the huge Dam. It's a steep gravel switch back at the end of the paved road (at least it was gravel when we drove the road. We waited for a no traffic minute to go up and down (we've driven both ways). Fortunately there's not much traffic.

This is a great drive. Safe travels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
I drove a van over this route, east to west a few years ago and loved it. There are lots of spots to stop and camp, but few amenities like gas stations and places to shop. Buy gas and other supplies when you can! I went into Goose Bay and also drove up to Cartwright and am glad I did. I also took a boat out to Battle Harbour, again a great place to visit. Most of the roads are gravel, but they are in good shape and more gets paved every year.
Definitely do this trip!
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #4

Florida
Michael, How much was the boat ride to Battle Harbour?

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
I don’t recall now as it was several years ago, but not expensive. I stayed overnight out there and would do it again. Fabulous place, friendly people, gobs of interesting history.
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:52 PM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Steve, that is a trip I hope we manage to do again. It is an amazing country. The section of the highway between Goose Bay and junction with the Cartwright highway was completed only in 2010. It is being improved and paved section by section. In 2014 we took it eastbound, on the way home (VT) after exploring parts of Newfoundland.

It was gravel from Port Hope Simpson almost all the way to Goose Bay. My gas gauge was on E near the end of the trip and I had to play it cool and not tell my wife, until we gassed up and I made some comment about the tank being an 82 liter tank and we pumped 82.5 liters. Then I received a lot of free advice. Anyway, be prepared for eventualities along the way, but doing it east, you might have a tailwind. Bring a jerry can and fill it for that section of the road. It is the longest one between gas stations. Have a tire patch and a trailer TPMS (pressure sensors) might also be good. I had a flat right-rear and was able to fix it in situ, which saved lots of time and $$. The section of the road past Manic 5 that Norm mentioned is very short, but it is 18%! You will be going up, so just take it easy Going down, I shifted to L and took it at about 10mph, just coasting, the engine was the brake.

I wish we had time to take the tour of the Churchill Falls power plant, you have to plan for it, they have some sort of schedule.

By the way, that road is the northernmost highway along the Atlantic coast. Have a great trip!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Here is a link to a great write-up on the highway, as it was in 2011:
https://alavigne.net/Outdoors/TripRe...ldAndLabrador/
The main attractions are still the same, I would expect.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
On the Quebec side I know there have been some improvements on the 389 between Manic 5 and Fermont over the last couple years, and still more coming for the next couple. It's in the plan for 138 to eventually reach Blanc Sablon and it will then be possible to complete the loop 389-TLH-138.

Carl
(Baie-Comeau native)
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:30 AM   #9

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We have made that same trip in the other direction. As to places to stop they are everywhere also there are reasonable provincial parks and former provincial parks. This includes the road through Quebec, Rt 389?. The first obstacle is the road up the side of Manic 5, the huge Dam. It's a steep gravel switch back at the end of the paved road (at least it was gravel when we drove the road. We waited for a no traffic minute to go up and down (we've driven both ways). Fortunately there's not much traffic.

This is a great drive. Safe travels.
:I was told they paved the first 500 miles going from west to Ferry about 2 years ago so might be paved all the way now. Sure would be a lot cheaper taking the Ferry this way. But if you can try and book the Ferry before you get there and the same before going back.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Trans Labrador

Thanks to all for the info!
Steve
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:08 AM   #11

Name: Gary & Jona
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II
Florida
Hello I thought I would add a few cents worth, we traveled over the ferry 2 years ago and had no problem on the ferry except on our return to NF when it turned out it was just before school was starting and everyone in Labrador was going into NF to go school shopping and the Ferry was booked for several days. You might check for Canadian Holidays for possible traffic increases. But to your info they only book the ferry with 75% reservations and the rest are standby so you still have to show up and would probably get on that one or if not the next day as they hand out numbers by standby for crossing. Short great trip and always stop by Red Bay very interesting and the light house. the provincial park there is also vert nice place to stay just north of Ferry landing. Thanks Gary
Old 04-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #12

Florida
Traveling across Labrador

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
Steve
We crossed in 2008 and most of the road was dirt/gravel, It is now mostly paved. When we crossed you could pick up a sat phone in Labrador City or Happy Valley for emergency use on the road. There was no charge. There's not a lot of traffic so it provides a measure of security.

As well we asked the NL Tourist Bureau for a list of gas stations. They gave us a complete list, listing each gas station in order of travel, the gas station's phone number, the owner's phone number. We only had a 15 gallon tank in our CRV, getting about 21 mpg, we stopped any time we were down a little and filled up.

Both Happy Valley and Labrador City have Walmarts and a Tim Hortons.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16