Transitioning from single axle to dual axle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-08-2020, 10:05 PM   #1

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
Transitioning from single axle to dual axle

For 5 years now I have enjoyed my 2002 5th wheel Scamp. It has been amazingly easy to tow and maneuver--a great first trailer for me. I have been looking for something with more storage and may have found an Escape 5. How much more difficult will this be to maneuver and park? I have to make a sharp turn to get into my drive. Also, that handy trick of turning the bottom of the steering wheel to direct the back of the trailer--does that still hold for dual axle or is there another technique?

I always get good answers from this group. Thank you in advance!
Jean
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:00 PM   #2

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
The second axle probably won't make as much of a difference as the increased axle-to-hitch distance. The Escape's only a little longer though, so it shouldn't be dramatic. You might hear a bit of tire squeal from scrubbing on tighter turns, and it will "cut" sharp corners a little more.

The basics of how it responds to the wheel will be the same, just slightly slower.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:39 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
The second axle probably won't make as much of a difference as the increased axle-to-hitch distance. The Escape's only a little longer though, so it shouldn't be dramatic. You might hear a bit of tire squeal from scrubbing on tighter turns, and it will "cut" sharp corners a little more.

The basics of how it responds to the wheel will be the same, just slightly slower.
As a 5.0TA owner and a former Scamp 19 owner, I basically agree. I find the 5.0TA doesn’t respond quite as fast (but not by much) and I rarely hear tire scrub unless I am approaching 90°, which isn’t necessary except in the tightest locations. In 5 years I got to maybe a 70° angle (truck to trailer) one time. As far as sharp corners are concerned, I am not very concerned at all. But as with all trailers, if I “cozy up” to a fuel pump or have to make sharp turns around any object, I watch the appropriate side mirror and move slowly to insure there is no contact with anything that could be considered an obstruction. If you can proficiently back up the Scamp 19, you will be able to do the same with the Escape. And yes, steering wheel control is the same in any trailer.

While not related to your question about backing up the trailer, I find the Escape easier to hook up. In three years, not even once, I couldn’t get the coupler to lock unless I moved the truck slightly forward or backward. The locking lever would not go down, even if I stomped it with my foot. I also find it roomier inside with much more storage and a vastly better sleeping arrangement (I had the deluxe with the bed side-to-side), and an inner spring mattress is far more comfortable than foam cushions. It would have cost me an arm and a leg for a real mattress for the Scamp due to its curved sleeping compartment, and it would have had to be a two piece mattress to get it up the narrow side stairs. As to the roominess, I have often joked that in the Escape, unlike in the Scamp, we can pass each other in the center without fear of having another child! In the Scamp, it was a squeeze to get by one another.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:44 AM   #4

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
Thank you

just what I needed to know. Glad I am past the baby making age...
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:41 PM   #5

Name: james
Trailer: 2000 scamp 19 deluxe_layoutA
Illinois
right on

Must agree on the tight squeeze, but have improved on it by tearing out the driver side counter and reducing the width by a good 4 inches. The cabinet was useless with small doors and wood framing. Was able to find a tool drawer unit at Home Depot 27" wide by 18" deep to fit in this space. Also eliminated the furnace. Will move the electric panel under the cabinet to have drawer storage under the dinette bench. Also reduced width of table to 23" to enable much better access to the benches.
jimmy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle