travel north from Halfmoon Bay, California - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
travel north from Halfmoon Bay, California

Considering a trip to Halfmoon Bay, CA. Has anyone taken the Rte 92 bridge across the Bay, then #580 to I-5 to return north? If so, what is the traffic like? I'm scared of traveling north through San Francisco to return home to Oregon.
Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #2

Name: Ben
Trailer: Scamp
California
Getting from Half Moon Bay across the bridge to the East Bay will likely be really easy, as long as you don't pick exact rush hour.

The East Bay to 580 will probably be crowded. That area just has a lot of traffic in general, and unless you time it right it will still be largely crowded. That will potentially carry all the way until you hit Tracy.

If you are particularly worried about traffic, try and time the stretch from Hayward to Tracy to be as low traffic as possible. That all being said most of that stretch is pretty easy to just camp in a lane and get zen about going slowly.
bmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Eric,

I deal with that area and those roads all the time.

Avoid 92 westbound from Hayward to San Mateo in the morning. Only go 580 east from 880 before 2:00 PM (1:00 PM is better), or wait until after 7:00 PM. Avoid 92 east from Half Moon Bay in the morning commute hours.

If you want to go from Half Moon Bay out to the Livermore area, leave HMB at about 10 AM. Cross the SM Bridge and Go N on 880 to 238 east. Connect to 580 and go out to 680 (best), or on to 5, where you can go north, if that is what you want. Be careful, as Sacramento has it's own traffic problems too. Be through there by 3PM if you can.

It's getting harder and harder to get around efficiently in the Bay Area.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #4

Thanks, John and Ben! Exactly what I was looking for.

Eric
Old 08-25-2017, 09:59 AM   #5

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We live out by 5 and Half Moon Bay is our go to. Eric nailed it. One thing. Do not plan to go East on a Friday if you can avoid it! The whole road system turns to sludge; very slow and very thick traffic. Half Moon Bay during the week is awesome, weekends can be packed and frenetic during summer
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
It's getting harder and harder to get around efficiently in the Bay Area.
...and for purposes of looking at traffic, the scope of what constitutes the "Bay Area traffic" is getting larger and larger as people buy homes further and further out. We have sometimes been caught up and chugged from the Santa Clara Valley (San Jose et al) as far out as Livermore and Vacaville and beyond...

Eric,

If you are able to access Google maps, there is a drop-down menu under the "Leave Now" label which will provide a prediction based on your selected departure or target arrival time. It can be very informative. As an example, setting the departure time to 2:00 PM today, a Friday, really paints the road red east of 880...
Attached Thumbnails
BayAreaTraffic.jpg   BayAreaTraffic Friday.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #7

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Good info

I live outside tracy, great info here, that being said I have made the trip you describe both pulling my 25 fifth wheel and my Casita. As long as you avoid the weekend in the Bay Area you would be good.
I have done 92 with no problems..
Going home up I5 is easy. The trip through Sacramento is easy, as there aren't many lane changes..just avoid commute time.
One of m favorite places to stay is San Mateo Memorial Park, but they don't allow dogs. It is a bit south of half moon bay. And not right on the water, but the little town of Pescadero is neat! Archangelos bakery makes the most awesome artichoke sour dough bread..that, some cheese and some wine makes an awesome meal.. plus you are probably less than ten miles from the ocean in the redwoods.
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #8

Half Moon Bay

thanks much Lee, Mike and Denece!