Travel Suggestions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2003, 09:52 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Travel Suggestions

Well, it seems as though everything is falling into place and the great alaskan odyssey will begin this saturday. I'm leaving from Ann Arbor early in the morning. I've had all kinds of suggestions which way to go, and where to stop. I wonder what you all think.

My options are.

1. Take I-94 west all the way into montana, and then head north. This option has many benefits, as 94 is a major freeway, and i could make a lot of miles the first few days.

2. Or, i could head north to the UP, (that's upper penninsula for those not from michigan) , and jump on highway 2 west. Which goes almost all the way to great falls, montana. Highway 2 is a two-laner, so it could take me longer to get where i'm going. But the speed limit will be 55-60, so i will save some on gas. Also, i hear that 2 is a much more scenic drive. Also, i believe that if i take highway 2, the mileage is a little shorter (comparatively)..

Anyone ever drive west on 2? Would you do it again? Am i better off sticking with 94 and drving through, chicago, madison, and minneapolis?

I'm open to any all opinions...

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 10:24 PM   #2

Hi
i came from Nova Scotia a few years back,I dropped down from Canada and took #2 accross from I think Sualt St Marie to the road coming north from Greatfall Montana.I then turned North back into Canada at Sweetgrass Boarder crossing driving north into Alberta.I found the road relaxing and good for me.Hope this helps.

Old 05-19-2003, 07:23 AM   #3

Leaving for Alaska

Quote:
Orginally posted by bdavid
Well, it seems as though everything is falling into place and the great alaskan odyssey will begin this saturday. I'm leaving from Ann Arbor early in the morning. I've had all kinds of suggestions which way to go, and where to stop. I wonder what you all think.
My options are.
1. Take I-94 west all the way into montana, and then head north. This option has many benefits, as 94 is a major freeway, and i could make a lot of miles the first few days.
2. Or, i could head north to the UP, (that's upper penninsula for those not from michigan) , and jump on highway 2 west. Which goes almost all the way to great falls, montana. Highway 2 is a two-laner, so it could take me longer to get where i'm going. But the speed limit will be 55-60, so i will save some on gas. Also, i hear that 2 is a much more scenic drive. Also, i believe that if i take highway 2, the mileage is a little shorter (comparatively)..
Anyone ever drive west on 2? Would you do it again? Am i better off sticking with 94 and drving through, chicago, madison, and minneapolis?
I'm open to any all opinions...
Bdavid, We are leaving this Thursday morning; look for a Scamp 5W with Wisconsin plates and Appleton, Wisconsin lettering on the upper back.
:steerWe plan on going north through Minneapolis, stopping at the Scamp factory on Friday and spending Friday night somewhere around Grand Forks, ND. :zzSaturday night near Brandom, MB; Sunday night near Regina, SK; Monday night around the area of the SK-AB border.
From there I am undecided whether to go through Calgary to Banff or to drop down on Route 3 and then take 93 to Banff. :chin That way we could visit the hot springs that Ches mentioned in the Hot Springs thread. Additionally, that way we could also stop in and visit Ches for a brief 'howdie'. :chatter How about it Ches or are you going to be busy?
From the Banff area it's up to Jasper; to Prince George; to Dawson Creek; to Whitehorse; and on to Fairbanks. We plan on touring Alaska counterclockwise drop down to Seattle and return to Wisconsin around the first part of August. Hopefully happy and definately poorer.:sunny
Larry

Old 05-19-2003, 09:18 AM   #4

bdavid ... if I were you, I'd take 2 ... at least from Michigan to Duluth ... where you can beeline to 94, if you want.

I've been hung up for hours south of the lake near Chicago where 94 and 80 come together. It would be worth the extra time (and less stress) to avoid that area.

Also, we've driven 2 from Glacier National Park to Minot, ND, where we cut down to hit 94. There's a nice Army Corp of Engineers campground at Fort Peck dam, near Glasgow, MT, on Rt. 2. You can make reservations on the net.

http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/commonpage.j...1/newindex.html

Another good stop is Eggerts Landing, a Army Corps campground, about 10 miles off I-94, near Valley City, ND. You can also make reservations on the net

http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/commonpage.j...l/newindex.html

Old 05-19-2003, 10:06 AM   #5

Hi Larry
Taking Hiway #3 into BC then cutting North towards hotsprings area is a good idea.Lots to see and do and good camping areas.
I live just 5KMs out of Fernie BC in a mobile home park.This park also has a RV campground with full hookups.Its used mostly for over nite stops.I would like to see you guys.That would be fun.Look at your PMs and I will send you my Phone #.

Old 05-19-2003, 02:07 PM   #6

Thanks

Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions. I was leaning toward taking 2 anyway. I am a frequent traveller to northern michigan and the UP, and I love driving accross the Mackinac Bridge.

Driving north and hopping on 2 is a familiar drive for me, and i will be able to "settle in" get comfortable towing the casita. I have never gone on such a trip with it before. Also, i think the scenery will be much nicer than going down 94. For me, the added savings in gas (driving 60 instead of 65) will add up quite nicely by the time i get to Dawson Creek, BC.

I was not looking forward to driving through Chicago, Madison, and Minneapolis, during the Memorial Day Weekend "rush".