Travel Trailer versus Motor Home - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-18-2021, 11:33 AM   #41

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
We have had motorhomes and the Scamp 16 and have found that the Scamp serves up well and is maneuverable enough to allow us to stop most places we want to visit and those roadside flea markets and restaurants etc where a motorhome would be a problem.
We like being able to leave our equipment setup and explore in our Touareg tow vehicle. Of course a TOAD would serve, but that is even more complications when traveling.
The other question is what if I am disabled and cannot hook up the trailer and tow as SWMBO has no desire to do these things.
She does help inspect my getting ready to make sure that the cables, hoses, stabilizers and hook-up.
I suspect that if she wanted to she could handle it, but she could also just leave FrankenScamp where he sits and drive home. At that point I might not care one way or the other, but I would hate to think that my remodel and modifications would be just tossed aside.
We have lived in the Scamp for extended periods of time while traveling, and other reasons and find it as comfortable as many would find a motorhome as we have rebuilt it to meet our needs and desires.
At one time she said she needed to take time to learn how to handle the Scamp, but that time has not come and when I bring it up it seems to be slip slip slipping away...
My wife is the same way. She doesn't even put gas in her car. I purchased travel insurance. It include getting your spouse and RV back home if you can't do it. Through Good Sam
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:43 PM   #42

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
But I doubt if my wife would relish taking a turn at the wheel. (as per Mr Lynn). There IS a learning curve but, it's one that MOST people can handle (there ARE RV driving schools covering BIG RVs, usually over just a few hours). In a commercial HDT, you're sitting about 6' up off the roadway. The driver can EASILY see over all "regular" traffic. Backing up with a trailer in tow IS somewhat of a challenge. Without a trailer, it's pretty straightforward. The safety factor of an HDT over just about EVERY other type of RV is off the chart.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:58 PM   #43

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
But I doubt if my wife would relish taking a turn at the wheel. (as per Mr Lynn). There IS a learning curve but, it's one that MOST people can handle (there ARE RV driving schools covering BIG RVs, usually over just a few hours). In a commercial HDT, you're sitting about 6' up off the roadway. The driver can EASILY see over all "regular" traffic. Backing up with a trailer in tow IS somewhat of a challenge. Without a trailer, it's pretty straightforward. The safety factor of an HDT over just about EVERY other type of RV is off the chart.
We tried the MH experiment. We both had class Cs in our previous lives. We tented for the first few years of our marriage but getting up off the ground in the morning got to difficult. We bought a new Casita which we enjoyed emmensly for about 5 years but my wife wanted more space and didn't like the crawl over bed.

We bought a 35 ft class A. She drove it as part of the selection to be sure she could share the driving and get us home in an emergency. We kept that for about four years but taking it out for quick trips was a pain and it was expensive to maintain and operate. We toed a car making our overall length around 55 feet.

So,,,,, we bought a 13 ft with almost no creature comforfs. But,,,, it's hook up and go, it rests in the carport when not in use, and we have the comfort of a Pilot with its navigation and other creature comforts for towing.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #44

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Some additional pros and cons for Class C motorhomes vs. travel trailers:

- Even small ones (under 25') are too long for single parking places (which are normally 18'). Though of course, as someone commented earlier, a lot less than our Expedition + Casita rig (18+17=35). So the MH is better than the TT for parking en route (e.g. for groceries, museums, etc.), but worse if you want to leave your camp set up and go into town or site-see.

- Of course we can bring a 'toad' behind the MH (I wonder if my wife's '07 Subaru Outback would be too heavy). Question: Is 'TOAD' an acronym, or just a bad pun?

- If we're going to camp at parks with lakes, we like to take one of our canoes, on the roof of the Expedition. That wouldn't be easy with a MH. Of course we could get a single-canoe trailer. Or we could put the canoe on top of the 'toad'. That would make it easier to take off, too!

- I'm really more of a homebody than a traveler (I like my big house and office with 27" monitors). I don't mind my little Casita decorating the side yard for months at a time, but I don't know how comfortable I could be letting a big Ford or Chevy box truck (which is what a Class C is) sit idle. Motor vehicles need to be run. So do TTs, but they are less demanding.

- Then too, I'm not sure where I'd put the MH. An Oliver would fit right where I back my Casita up. . . (see photo)
Our 21 ft fits in most parking places. We have a 30X30 garage and we can park 3 vehicles across it the motorhome, Casita and a hearse and still have room for cabinets, etc in front of them. We use our motorhome more than the Casita since it is ready to go all the time and don't have to hook up. Just jump in and go. Don't know where TOAD came from but that is what a towed vehicle is called. You may not always need a Toad as we find we don't hardly ever. The few times we did we rented a car or just took the Casita so we'd have the vehicle available. A motorhome should tow your Subaru easily. We like the motorhome in case we get in a hard rain we can pull over and sit inside until it is done instead of jumping out and running to a trailer.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:17 AM   #45

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Our 21 ft fits in most parking places. We have a 30X30 garage and we can park 3 vehicles across it the motorhome, Casita and a hearse and still have room for cabinets, etc in front of them. . .
A hearse? You're prepared for everything!

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:35 AM   #46

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Now there’s a great idea for a custom RV! I can even see the vanity plate: “RDY2GO”
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:03 PM   #47

Colorado
Quote:
A hearse? You're prepared for everything!
Just my husband's toy. Big boys play with big toys. Couldn't afford the fire truck he wanted and I refused him an ambulance. I gave in on the hearse with many stipulations and all of them were met. So we have a hearse that is a lot of fun especially at Halloween.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:04 PM   #48

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Now there’s a great idea for a custom RV! I can even see the vanity plate: “RDY2GO”
We were going to pull the Casita with it but it sits to low and the rear end is not geared right. We don't want to ruin it's integrity so we won't modify it.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:01 AM   #49

Arizona
Registry
I meant the statement in jest, though I have seen one or two being used as very simple campers, sleepers, really. Of course you’d have to pull an Abby Scuito and sleep in a coffin…
Old 10-20-2021, 06:32 AM   #50

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Of course we can bring a 'toad' behind the MH (I wonder if my wife's '07 Subaru Outback would be too heavy). Question: Is 'TOAD' an acronym, or just a bad pun?
Just a pun. The real question is not whether it’s too heavy but whether it can be flat-towed at all. The list of flat-towable vehicles is limited and gets shorter every year. Those that can may require expensive modifications and/or very precise and critical pre-tow instructions to avoid drivetrain damage.

As to gear like bikes and boats, with a motorhome there’s the option of pulling a small utility trailer or mounting them on your toad. Either way you’re right back where you started- dealing with a trailer- or worse, because a toad cannot be backed up like a regular trailer.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:32 AM   #51

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 TOADs are all about whether the specific vehicle can be flat towed (all wheels on pavement). Many cannot. Everything I have read is you have to have a manual transmission on the Outback. Many Outbacks cannot be flat towed. Do proper research.

Every style of recreational vehicle has its pluses and minuses. Each involves compromise. If I had the $$ and space, I'd have three or four styles: Super C, Class B (four wheel drive), pull behind. Money and space limitations make for compromise.

I have friends with a motorcoach. With the pickup towed behind it, they are almost 70 feet long overall, and 8 1/2 feet wide. A challenge parking and driving down the road, and limits campsite choices too. But once they get set up at a destination, its pretty nice.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #52

Massachusetts
Quote:
Just a pun. The real question is not whether it’s too heavy but whether it can be flat-towed at all. The list of flat-towable vehicles is limited and gets shorter every year. Those that can may require expensive modifications and/or very precise and critical pre-tow instructions to avoid drivetrain damage.

As to gear like bikes and boats, with a motorhome there’s the option of pulling a small utility trailer or mounting them on your toad. Either way you’re right back where you started- dealing with a trailer- or worse, because a toad cannot be backed up like a regular trailer.
I guess I was thinking of towing the car on a car trailer, like U-Haul rents.

With a canoe trailer, I assume I'd unhitch in the road and just wheel it in after parking the MH. That might be hard with a heavy car trailer. Guess you'd take the car off first.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:52 AM   #53

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
+10 TOADs are all about whether the specific vehicle can be flat towed (all wheels on pavement). Many cannot. Everything I have read is you have to have a manual transmission on the Outback. Many Outbacks cannot be flat towed. Do proper research.
Can't you tow a front-wheel-drive vehicle as the tow trucks do, with just the free-wheeling rear wheels on the ground? Of course Subies (and now many others) have all-wheel drive, so then you're dealing with transmission components to the rear wheels, too.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:03 AM   #54

Colorado
Quote:
I meant the statement in jest, though I have seen one or two being used as very simple campers, sleepers, really. Of course you’d have to pull an Abby Scuito and sleep in a coffin…
Actually we thought it would be fun to pull the Casita with the hearse and put handles on the sides to look like a coffin. Sometimes us older people just have to have fun with things. So your statement may have been in jest but it has been thought over more than once. Unfortunately for us and maybe the world it sits so low that we'd need to put a 10 inch riser on the ball.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:32 AM   #55

Trailer: 1990 13 ft Scamp / 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Registry
I agree with Jon. Our 13' Scamp is fairly bare-bones-- no bathroom, no AC, no fan, no converter. I do like it for fishing trips, where I can leave my camp set up and explore different fishing spots with the tow vehicle. We have a 19' Roadtrek Popular, which is much more comfortable to camp in. It has king/twin bed option, air, shower, furnace, TV, microwave, toilet. I see us using it more and more and the Scamp less and less. My wife is comfortable driving the Roadtrek, but does not hitch and back up the Scamp.
Conrad S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #56

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Can't you tow a front-wheel-drive vehicle as the tow trucks do, with just the free-wheeling rear wheels on the ground? Of course Subies (and now many others) have all-wheel drive, so then you're dealing with transmission components to the rear wheels, too.
Sure, but they are more trouble to load and unload, plus the extra weight of the tow dolly.

Whole car trailers are even heavier. Figure around 1500-2000# plus the weight of the car. U-Hauls are aluminum, but most of the ones people buy for personal use are steel.

Start watching motorhomes pulling vehicles. I’d guess 90% are flat-towed.

Regardless of the towing method, unless it’s a pull-through site, you have to offload the toad before backing into your site. With a flat-tow, once you do that, you don’t have the dolly or trailer to deal with. Many developed campsites won’t have room for all three.

All in all, seems like way more trouble than what you have now, (and more anxiety for your wife). A motorhome only makes sense in your situation if you don’t attach anything to the back.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #57

Name: Brad
Trailer: Interested
Montana
Interesting discussion. Many regulars may remember some of my posts. At one time I used this forum to do research on a pull behind travel trailer. For about three years we have been searching for something to purchase. And yes that is getting rather old. There are many stories that go a long with the reasons why we did not purchase something. Most are due to the pandemic. I could write a book. But for this discussion I will enter my opinion. Let me add that I like this active forum a lot and wish that it also included fiberglass motorhomes. Now on to the discussion. My wife and I have settled on purchasing a smaller motorhome and that would be a Bigfoot for several reasons but size is only one of the factors. You will have a very hard time locating one. Especially with a rear bed. Why bigfoot ,well because its 4 season and quality fiberglass. I can go into all the different things about a motor home or trailer as far as what's inside but most know. Why a motor home for us. Well we are getting older, it would be easier and safer for us to drive and handle. No hitching, unhitching on and on. Motorhomes you will have the added insurance( insurance will need to be an agreed policy)Look it up if you want to know. A smaller motor home can be worked on with not a lot of issues at most shops but it could be a consideration depending on where you live. I have much more to add if you want to know anything ask.
Montana Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:37 PM   #58

Name: Pat
Trailer: Scamp 19
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
and I refused him an ambulance.
We had a ambulance! Our son is a paramedic and worked for a private ambulance company at the time. They sold their used ambulances when they got so old. This one came up and he new it didn't have a lot of us and mostly highway miles, with low mileage to boot. We grabbed it at a really low price. Striped everything out of it, put carpet on the floor and installed a couch that converted into a bed in the rear. Moved the jump seat to the rear of the drivers seat. It had a small refrigerator which we kept in it. Did lots of short trips and one long one to Florida. My wife even drove it. It was a extended Ford van. Had the old style Ford diesel.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:47 PM   #59

Name: Pat
Trailer: Scamp 19
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
I towed a Ford Focus with automatic and front wheel drive behind our diesel pusher. I went from NY to Florida several times and twice to Texas Never a a bit of trouble with the Focus. There are several front wheel drive automatic vehicles that can be towed!!! I thank God we had the toad with us on the second trip to Texas, cause the Cummins dropped a valve. We ended up driving the Focus home while the Cummiins engine was being replaced!!!

Oh, An RV toad is slang for “towed vehicle”.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #60

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Brad View Post
. . . My wife and I have settled on purchasing a smaller motorhome and that would be a Bigfoot for several reasons but size is only one of the factors. You will have a very hard time locating one. Especially with a rear bed. Why bigfoot ,well because its 4 season and quality fiberglass. I can go into all the different things about a motor home or trailer as far as what's inside but most know. . .
Did you find a BF motorhome yet? When was the last year they made them? There's a 2008 on RVtrader today, and some older ones.

For fiberglass, you might consider the elegant Coach House Class Bs (but really Cs), but they're expensive and say their production is way behind. Jon mentioned that there are other motorhomes with molded fiberglass bodies. Anyone have a list? —LEJ