Traveling speed - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #21

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm with Jon. Every tug/tow combo has a sweet spot where you'll get the best mpg. I want to keep as much money in my pocket as I can. Gotta buy that t-shirt, restaurant dinner or trinket at my destination. Improve that counties economy if I can! My combo gets the best fuel mileage at 57 mph. YMMV

Hi Donna,

Great point. My 4Runner has a tach, so I can see what speed keeps my RPMs at the lowest level. The sweet spot is right around 59 mph.

Rick
Old 11-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #22

Name: Susan
Trailer: Trillium
Florida
Registry
Hi Donna.
Traveling from Massachusetts to Florida in the fall with too much stuff in the "Guacamole" I have to keep it down to 60 or below. Just want to get there asap. The rest of the year I keep it down on back roads just to enjoy the scenery.
Susan
Old 11-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can appreciate those that are lucky enough to go on the roads less traveled. As a single traveler, and solo driver, there's little opportunity to view the sights. Curvy roads, folks passing when they shouldn't mean I need to keep my eyes forward and checking the mirrors... not looking at scenery. That's why I travel the most direct route to my destination and that's the interstates. Like other folks who are still working, time is precious. I'd rather drive a bit slower (higher mpg) but take a direct route. Someday, someday... I'll enjoy those backroads.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I do the speed limit. 75 in ks, 70 in mo, ia, mn. The little time off I get is precious to me, if I wasn't on a schedule, it might be different. 15-20 mph difference on a 12-1500 mile trip adds up quick.
It's a shame you do not slow down, driving the speed limit also decreases your MPG, anything over 60 mph will impact your efficiency. Here is one chart that explains the effect: Speeding and Your Vehicle's Mileage
although titled "Speeding" (which in California you would have been) although you may have been driving the posted legal limit in that state, that speed is not your optimal speed for efficiency.
If we all slow down and drove 55 mph, then oil consumption will drop and we all would be better off.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #25

Name: Marky
Texas
My trailer tires are rated for a "maximum" speed of 65 mph. I I don't feel safe going over 65 mph so I tow at 60 mph or less. Drive safe somebody loves you!
Marky
Old 11-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #26

Name: Marky
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It's a shame you do not slow down, driving the speed limit also decreases your MPG, anything over 60 mph will impact your efficiency. Here is one chart that explains the effect: Speeding and Your Vehicle's Mileage although titled "Speeding" (which in California you would have been) although you may have been driving the posted legal limit in that state, that speed is not your optimal speed for efficiency. If we all slow down and drove 55 mph, then oil consumption will drop and we all would be better off.
Wow, great article. The article is based on automobiles I'm sure. Imagine the cost savings when towing a trailer between 55 and 60 mph!
Thanks,
Marky
Old 11-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #27

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Tach(y) Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1flr View Post
Hi Donna,

Great point. My 4Runner has a tach, so I can see what speed keeps my RPMs at the lowest level. The sweet spot is right around 59 mph.

Rick
------------------------------------------------------------
Lowest engine RPM will not necessarily mean best MPG.

It takes a given amount of horsepower to move your train over the road as well as through the air. If you run at a very low RPM the motor will compensate for a lack of power at that RPM by using more fuel, in truck talk that's called "lugging".

As a number of members hereabouts will tell you, MPG's often increase when locking out higher gears that result in lower RPM. For example, in our Honda CR-V, we lock out overdrive and see an increase in MPG when towing our 13'er's. Same thing in my GMC Sonoma, always using 5th gears will assure a reduction in MPG's when towing

Old 11-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
If this thread is to survive, participants need refrain from making any negative comments regarding the speed other individuals choose to drive. Everyone has their own reasons for doing the speed they do, and may state these reasons, but any criticism of another's choices will not be allowed.

Any links to articles or studies written are welcome.

There are plenty of other thread with discussions on trailer tire limitations elsewhere, if you wish to talk on this subject.

For the most part, everyone here is playing good. I write this cautionary post because this is just one of those subjects that tends to go sour on us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #29

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
I will also mostly travel the posted speed limit or even slightly higher when towing. My holiday time is also limited and very precious to me, so I would rather take a bit of a hit on fuel consumption and save some time. Maybe at some future time, things may change and I will have more time to slow down.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Old 11-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #30

Registry
I too am one that mostly travels at the speed limit, and sometimes moderately above if the rest of the traffic is doing so too. I also travel looooong distances to get to a place I can relax for the short period of time that I can find to get away.

I am quite positive this style will change once I retire. I sure do look forward to taking the time to smell the flowers en route.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #31

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I agree with Jim.

And please, lets not keep dragging out that post about 1 tires maker that sez it's OK to drive faster if you raise the pressure.

But... that's not a problem here in the Golden State, where we drive slower (55 MPH)when towing so we can enjoy all of our beautiful scenery.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #32

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in MN View Post
I know most speed limits are 65-70 but I've been doing about 55-60 and everyone passes me on the open roads, campers, trucks and people towing boats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
Some of the posted speeds in Texas on I-10 & perhaps I-20 are 85 mph. A raceway.
I drive Interstate highways because I am still working and have limited vacation time.
When I first got my Fiber Stream I tried to keep up with the Midwest posted speed limit of 75. At that time the pavement on I-44 in Missouri was so bad that I cracked the fiberglass around my battery box and bent the tongue frame from the constant shock bounce. I also discovered on that trip that while I got 16 mpg towing at 55 mph, I got 9 mpg towing at 75 mph.

Since then I set the cruise control to 55 mph, and generally stay in the #4 lane in urban areas or the slow lane in rural areas. I do this even on I-20 in Texas. The large 18" x 14" "Caution" sticker on the back of the trailer (see my avatar) gives people enough warning to pass me safely.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #33

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It's a shame you do not slow down, driving the speed limit also decreases your MPG, anything over 60 mph will impact your efficiency. Here is one chart that explains the effect: Speeding and Your Vehicle's Mileage although titled "Speeding" (which in California you would have been) although you may have been driving the posted legal limit in that state, that speed is not your optimal speed for efficiency. If we all slow down and drove 55 mph, then oil consumption will drop and we all would be better off.
I don't care about my mpg, I care about getting to the campground and relaxing. I also don't care about the California speed limit as I have never been there, and never plan to.

It's about 750 miles to the campground I go to.

1500/72 (averaging the 75 and 70 mph) = 20.83 hours of driving
1500/55 = 27.27 hours of driving

That's 6.44 hours difference. Yes, that's not counting fuel stops, but they happen either way. It would also take me past the amount of time I'm comfortable driving for a day, making me do it in two days instead of one. Throw all that into a 6-7 day vacation, and it's ruined. I prefer paying a few extra dollars for gas. 1-2 hours of overtime will make that up.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #34

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Smile Fast Speed More Times One Must Stop To Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
I will also mostly travel the posted speed limit or even slightly higher when towing. My holiday time is also limited and very precious to me, so I would rather take a bit of a hit on fuel consumption and save some time. Maybe at some future time, things may change and I will have more time to slow down.
I've noticed over the years while driving at lower speeds, those in a super hurry to save time traveling by speeding along, pass me more than once along a long interstate drive. Mainly between Las Cruces & the Los Angeles Area.

My conclusion is they are loosing more time at fuel stops than they make are saving driving fast.

I'm always tempted to drive faster, more so non-towing. Often fail in the car or pickup (if not towing).
Old 11-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #35

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in MN View Post
I tried to search but didn't find much info.

What speed do most of you travel at while towing the camper? I know most speed limits are 65-70 but I've been doing about 55-60 and everyone passes me on the open roads, campers, trucks and people towing boats. I'm usually not in any hurry to get from point A to B when I have the camper, but it might make a difference for traveling across the states.
I guess my point for asking the question wasn't so much about me saving or not saving gas. I was just interested in the average speed most people travel at. I just want to travel safe not only for myself, but others on the road as well. I have only towed the camper here in MN and hope to be able to travel out of state soon. I have learned a lot by reading from the many site out here, and I still have so much to learn. Thank you all for the info.
God's Country, Minnesota
Old 11-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #36

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Best answer is, drive the speed you're comfortable with. Everybody has different towing experience, driving abilities, and some are towing identical campers with a vehicle that has 3x the towing capacity of the other person.

Vehicle/trailer changes can make a big difference, even. My truck came with passengers tires (that should be illegal, IMHO), it was waggy on the road with a trailer. I put load range e lt's on it, and it's stable as can be. My camper came with 185/70/13 load range b tires and now has 225/75/15 load range e's on it.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #37

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
2012 was my first year towing, I had my lil home built gypsy caravan with its 12" rims behind my rav4(18" rims), barely knew it was there. Well it was a real hot day (90'+) I had about 150 mile ride, hurrying to get to my friends place to jump in the pool after working all day... I was driving keeping up with the flow of traffic about 75-80mph...well 1 tire totally melted and the 2nd barely had tread left on it when I turned into his driveway. 4th of july weekend is not the time to be shopping for tires out in the boonies lol. A friend of mine pointed out the max 50mph speed on the remaining tire to me and going home I kept it at 50. Im glad nothing bad happened other then buying 2 new tires and mounting them.

I try to keep it slower because we cant quite stop on a dime with 2700lbs behind you and so often people dont pay atention on the road.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 11-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #38

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
I have just returned from a 7000 KM trip in the US towing our Trillium 4500 (total weight just under 2000 pounds). I drive mostly at 65 mph on the highway, about 103 KM/hr, because I am too impatient to go much slower unless the speed limit is slower. The speed limits on western interstates were 75 or 80 mph in most places we went, and generally 70 (110 KM) in Canada. I feel comfortable on the Interstates because there are multiple lanes for others to pass me, I never had any problems. 65 was also fast enough that I didn’t feel any pressure from other drivers on single lane highways either (where the speed limits were generally 65), so it worked well in every situation we were in. Our gas mileage is also not noticeably worse at 65 compared to 55 mph, which I think is because of the “sweet spot” for our particular tow vehicle, which is a Chevy Uplander minivan. Our gas mileage towing as compared to not towing was helped significantly by a wind deflector mounted on the van, which will be the subject of another post soon. Our trailer tow is quite stable at all speeds. I was very satisfied with performance at that speed range.

Rick G
Old 11-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #39

Registry
Sorry, but as this thread has turned into criticising others driving, instead of staying on the topic the OP clearly stated, was to find out the speeds others drove at, this thread will be closed pending administrative review.
Closed Thread