traveling with a rifle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
You are on the right track with encased, locked and ammo separate. One other thing that I suggest is having a firearm that is easily disassembled. A revolver with the cylinder stored in a separate case, or bolt action rifle with the bolt removed and stored separate is generally no longer a firearm. At least in the US.

When in an area that assembly is appropriate then assemble. We get some target shooting in on our camping trips up north but don't transport assembled firearms. This also allows us to keep a small case containing the critical components in the car. Breaking into the trailer while we are away yields a criminal with a rather awkward club not a firearm.

Bottom line it falls to you to know what is legal where you are going to be. Some states or municipalities do have local regulations. If you wish to be certain you understand laws that apply or confirm online sources a quick call to the State Police in the states you will be in should suffice. They will not only know the state laws but also be aware of any local regulations in the state which may be more restrictive than state laws.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:09 AM   #22

Name: CW
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard (Coming May 1st!)
New Jersey
re rifle

I appreciate the invites from NC. Weather permitting I'll be on the road in May. I look forward to meeting up with you all.
CharleyWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #23

Name: Faith
Trailer: currently shopping for a Scamp
Pennsylvania
Have you checked out the Chiappa Little Badger?

PatchWork
PatchWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #24

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyWhiskey View Post
Good advice Mike. Thanks!

Byron; leaving a Henry Silver Eagle back home is like leaving a pet cat behind
How are they the same?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The problem may not be in transporting a firearm ,
Many State and most private campgrounds do not allow firearms . I have traveled with "Hunting Weapons "on many occasions .The firearm was unloaded ,trigger locked ,cased and stored out of reach . I have never had any hassles with Law Enforcement
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
How are they the same?
I am willing to bet he means it is dear to him, just as a pet cat would be to others.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #27

Registry
Can we please keep the comments on track, to how to properly transport the OP's 22 so as not to raise an issues with the authorities.

I have had to do some thread pruning, and if I have to do any further, it will just be shut down.

Thanks for being considerate.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #28

Name: Matt
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
As I read the OP original question he was more concerned with being hassled by law enforcement, correct me if I'm wrong but law enforcement would need probable cause or permission to conduct any sort of search right? That being the case, unless the weapon was in plain sight or the OP was engaging in behavior that was either suspicious or endangering of others, he shouldn't have a problem. Now I know that different states have different laws pertaining to the subject, but as I read the OP's question I would not think he would have much of a hassle.
Scampsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #29

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Scampsmith, you are absolutely correct.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scampsmith View Post
As I read the OP original question he was more concerned with being hassled by law enforcement, correct me if I'm wrong but law enforcement would need probable cause or permission to conduct any sort of search right? That being the case, unless the weapon was in plain sight or the OP was engaging in behavior that was either suspicious or endangering of others, he shouldn't have a problem. Now I know that different states have different laws pertaining to the subject, but as I read the OP's question I would not think he would have much of a hassle.

That's what the law says. However.........
Old 03-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #31

New Jersey
Re Rifle

Folks, I did not mean to raise a subject unfavored by the forum. Overriding any interest in traveling with firearms is the phone call I received from Dave Smith and Alan Sheley of Eveland notifying me that my Scamp 16 Standard will be delivered by the first week of May 2015! Itching to get out there!
Old 03-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyWhiskey View Post
Folks, I did not mean to raise a subject unfavored by the forum.
As you likely know, there are lots of opposing opinions when it comes to fireams, all of which vary a lot themselves. As long as folks keep the conversation civil, there is some valid and useful information that FGRV owners can garner from others here.

Quote:
Overriding any interest in traveling with firearms is the phone call I received from Dave Smith and Alan Sheley of Eveland notifying me that my Scamp 16 Standard will be delivered by the first week of May 2015! Itching to get out there!
Sounds exciting, Charlie. You must be on edge, waiting for that day.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #33

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
For wahoo, I have a nice rod and reel setup. Fishing with a rifle would be hard work!

Often I find it hard to find a good place to transport my squirrel gun. It's fairly large in it's case.

Actually the easiest way to transport a rifle is flying. It's surprisingly simple, you check like luggage more or less.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #34

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
ScampSmith: You R correct that is why I prefer to keep it unloaded and in a case hidden in the camper and ammo somewhere else hidden. Out of sight.
Every year I purchase an updated "Travelers Guide to the firearm Laws of the fifty states". Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States | Gun Laws for the 50 States
You may find that it is not legal to bring a firearm into a state. You may find that you can transport a firearm through a state. You may find the requirements for securing the firearm is different for various states. I take the updated Guide with me when I travel.

Canada: I have been told that you may be allowed to transport a Long Gun through Canada from Lower 48 to Alaska if it is for hunting. Not possible to transport into Canada for protection. Peper spray for humans not allowed in Canada however Bear spray is.

Be safe and not sorry. Check the laws B 4 U go.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #35

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
There are people who think nothing of traveling while in possession of illegal items (drugs, automatic knives, lasers exceeding 5 mW, whatever). At least the rifle is legal! LOL.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
... At least the rifle is legal! LOL.
Don't bet on it. City laws trump country laws, county laws state laws, state laws trump federal laws... don't mess with the Feds. In Portland, Oregon just try to take any firearm onto Federal property (Post Office, Federal courthouse and surrounding area). I KNOW that's what wasn't asked by the OP. Just don't assume. You know what THAT says...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #37

New Jersey
Re Rifle

Donna D., The subject of your comment is the very thing that prompted me to begin this thread.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #38

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Don't bet on it. City laws trump country laws, county laws trump city laws, state laws trump county laws... and don't mess with the Feds. In Portland, Oregon just try to take any firearm onto Federal property (Post Office, Federal courthouse and surrounding area). I KNOW that's what wasn't asked by the OP. Just don't assume. You know what THAT says...

It is illegal to carry a firearm into a US Post Office anywhere, not just in Portland.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #39

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I only posted so folks don't assume... and we know what "assume" means.

Just be safe and be lawful. There isn't one law, in many states that fits everything.

How about them 49ers?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #40

New Jersey
Re Rifle

Sorry to say ,after a day of research, that it would not be a good idea to bring a firearm with me on my extended camping trip. I'll be boondocking in state and federal parks (firearms No No), staying more than day in private parks (firearms No No). It's not as much fun using a borrowed gun at a firing range.