Traveling with small dogs 20# - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #1

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Traveling with dogs

I would like to leave MN and go out west for a couple of weeks, any tips on traveling with a dog? Don't want to have to leave the dog in the camper when site seeing. I've been to SD several times so I would like to go somewhere else. Everyone tells me I can't travel because of the dog. I would like to hear from those that travel with dogs.
Attached Images

Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #2

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Henry always travels with me (and sometimes I even take my husband!) Some animals do get car sick and that would be miserable for the pooch so test them first.

For safety, Henry has a back seat and a harness that clips into the seatbelt. He is comfortable and satisfied. We make lots of stops and do walks. Stock up on food you can prepare in your travel trailer since eat in places are out for your travels.

There are lots of places you cannot take dogs - in most state and national parks you are limited to paved paths. Be sure to bring along vaccination records in case you choose to do a day camp at pet-smart.

Most important, have fun!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #3

Minnesota
Butch camps and travels with me all over MN, he loves to go, doesn't get sick and he's very comfortable traveling. I was just told, I couldn't do anything ( site seeing) walking through parks ect with a dog. I know people travel with dogs all the time, I want him to have fun on the trip and be able to do things with me other then just site in the campground.

Does anyone find traveling with a pet a problem?
Old 11-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in MN View Post
.......Does anyone find traveling with a pet a problem?
I like to hike wherever I go and on some trails, pets are not allowed. Anytime the dog is left in the car (or camper) you need to worry about keeping them safe from excess heat or cold, dog nappers, dehydration, etc. Most camp sites don't allow dogs to be left alone because they can bark for hours. Some people let their dogs run loose, so you don't want the dog tied outside and vulnerable. I take a crate with me for that purpose.

So, I love my dog, but it takes some special effort to keep her safe.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Almost every KOA will accept pets and some have pet exercise areas.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have not run across a campground that doesn't allow you to walk around with your dog on a leash. Mainly national parks and some wildlife areas don't allow them on trails. Mine stay crated in the car if they aren't with me but the weather is more mild here. They mostly ride crated in the car (I'm down to traveling with only three.)

It's a bigger problem in hot climates as you really can't even leave them in the car for a short time, so you can't do much unless you can take them and its cool enough for them to go.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Mary Ann,

Is it still possible for you to edit your title to travelling with dogs? You might get a few more responses.

We regularily travel with our pair of 75+ Lb pair of Rhodesian ridgebacks.
cpaharley travels with a few big labs ( at least 2, I thought I may have seen 3, but that was at the Niagara Winefest) ;-)

It all depends on how you travel, what you do and what your dog is like. My Whiner-Rheiners can be a PITA or perfect angels at the blink of an eye or a wave of food in the hand. Unless some of the people here at FGRV are trying to passify me, I think I understand that they all think my kids are getting better with age. Or so they say.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
If traveling in warm areas, try to get into a campground where you can plug into air conditioning. I camp all summer with up to 6 dogs and sometimes puppies. I have exercise pens with covers (in case of rain). Whenever I leave the campground for somewhere I can not take the dogs I put them into their cages in the camper with air on so that they are comfortable while I am gone. I have traveled from Mn to Pa and so far never a problem. I bought my campers for the dogs first and me second. :-)

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
If traveling in warm areas, try to get into a campground where you can plug into air conditioning. I camp all summer with up to 6 dogs and sometimes puppies. I have exercise pens with covers (in case of rain). Whenever I leave the campground for somewhere I can not take the dogs I put them into their cages in the camper with air on so that they are comfortable while I am gone. I have traveled from Mn to Pa and so far never a problem. I bought my campers for the dogs first and me second. :-)
Just don't go far. My most miserable camping trip included a campground power outage and I'm sure glad my dogs weren't in the trailer depending on AC to stay on.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
few things needed to travel with dogs.
1 a crate and a dog thats comfortable in his crate. dogs are "den" animals, when they have their own crate its their bedroom and they become comfortable and safe in it. in addition if they get a little bored,,,they can't destroy your camper.
2 a comfortable colar and leash. you will be amaised how many places a well behaved dog on a leash is welcome.
3 a well trained owner. one that trains their dog to be well behaved and a pleasure to be around. and picks up after their dog,,(you know what i mean)

you biggest issue with dogs traveling is noise. no one likes or should have to tolerate a yappy dog. if you can not, or will not train your dog to be quiet, leave them at a doggy motel when you travel.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #11

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
A large part of my decision to buy a camper was because I want to take my dog with me. If I can't take my dog someplace, I simply choose some other destination.
As others have said, the primary concern is the safety of the dog. A closed up camper, on a hot day with a failed air conditioner ( or power outage ) could quickly become a fatal situation for an animal, so if the weather is extreme, I stay close, or I take her with me, and go places where I can have her out of the truck and with me. So obviously, this limits my ability to go to places like museums, etc.

I'm lucky in that my dog is a great little traveler. She loves to ride in the truck and is happy to nap most of the day. In the back seat of the truck, I keep her wire crate, with her blanket in there, and the door to crate is open so she can easily get in and out. We stop every couple hours at roadside rest stops or parks so we can get out and stretch our legs, get a drink, etc.
Remember to take a "pooper scooper" with you in your travels.
Also, when I head to the campground showerhouse in the evening, I close down the shades and leave the television, radio and sometimes the fan on just to give a little "noise" for her. That way she won't bark at most noises outside the camper. She's generally pretty quiet anyway.

Good idea to make sure your dog is always on flea/tick med ( frontline, etc ) because you will be walking the dog in areas that are likely to be infested because of all the other ( wild and/or domestic ) animals that will be passing thru the area.

Go camp....take your dog, and have fun ! Ha ! I even had to go buy "doggie boots" for my Schipperke at the Balloon Fiesta last month because she was getting cactus sand spurs in her paws ! She was the hit of the campground walking around ! Everybody smiled when they saw her.

gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
....... Ha ! I even had to go buy "doggie boots" for my Schipperke at the Balloon Fiesta last month........
Now that's cute....
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #13

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Now that's cute....
Thanks....yeah, she's just a "little bit spoiled...."
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #14

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
We set our small dogs up with their own "space" in the scamp. On the bottom bunk, we have an extra doggie blanket, a few toys, and voila- seems a lot like home. When I'm working on the scamp at home I put them up there to relax so when we're out camping, they naturally hop up there to chill.

After a 2 mile hike last trip our boys took quite a nap in their bunk.
Attached Thumbnails
image-493909046.jpg  
DrewSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Mary Ann, I traveled for a number of years with my 75lb lab. He went on every camping trip with me and was a great traveler and camping companion.

I never saw traveling with my dog to be a big problem/inconvenience. He had a spot in the back of the car he was happy to stay in if I stopped at a shop or for a meal - he wasn't a barker in the car or trailer. If the weather was too warm for him to stay in the car or trailer while I did what every I had hoped to do and he wasn't welcome to join me, I just cancelled my plans. I also packed up and left or canceled out of a few campgrounds at the last minute due to the lack of power or trees to keep the trailer cool enough for the dog to be comfortable. Being a large busy guy he needed a fair bit of exercise each day to be a happy camper. When staying in some National/state parks that have very limited areas where you can walk the dog on or off leash, if you check with the park staff most of the time they will give you directions to areas outside the park that you can take them on a good hike either on or off leash without any problems.

Yes having a dog with you does mean you sometimes dont get to do or see something you wanted to see but it also gives you a good reason for going back to that area at another time. In the past couple of years I have traveled without him and its been interesting to return to areas I have been previously but had the dog with me. Yes its nice to finally get to see/do something I didnt get to do on previous visits but I can tell you that I did find and hiking in lots of amazing spots when he was with me that I may never had found out about had he not been with me. Lots of great memories of trips with him that made the minor plan changes all very worth it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #16

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
If I can't take my dog someplace, I simply choose some other destination.
That's always been the bottom line for us. The first time we went on a trip and left our very young dog in good care she almost pined away and died. After that, it was, if she can't go, we don't go. Extra work, yes, but at the end of the day, when you're travelling with a dog, you care for it just like you would at home. It's just a little more work sometimes.

This dog, Delphi, must have set a record for most countries and continents traveled by a dog. She traveled by boat, bus, air,and car. She never seemed to mind the hardships of traveling. It seemed that as long as she was with us she was happy.

Here she is at the edge of the Sahara. No, we never left her in a hot car ever, just long enough to snap this photo.

So, obviously my view is if the dog is part of the family do what you have to take them along and be part of your travels.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
img003.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Many years ago we left a dog in a kennel. We swore we would never do it again. After many years of not travelling we bought our first camper in part so we could take the dog. She is use to riding since we usually take here with us shopping, ect. Because of an encounter with the neighbors pit bull she doesn't like other dogs. This can make for some fireworks at times. If the owner stops to visit, the barking usually ends in some tail sniffing and then back to sleeping. We meet lots of folks who have left their dog home and need to get their "golden retriever fix" which involves a certain amount of mauling, jumping, and licking. Molly is always happy to oblige.

For the most part we only stay in public campgrounds. Some states restrict or charge for pets. Virginia is the worst I've seen at $5 a night. NFS and BLM are the least restrictive. Alway best to know the rules before you get there.

If you never feed your dog people food, especially in the car, you will be able to sit and eat your lunch in peace. If the restaurant doesn't do take out we don't eat there. Finally, shopping for hours, visiting roadside attractions or other tourist stuff, long hikes in the National Parks, etc. are very limited if you bring the dog. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #18

Minnesota
traveling with dogs

Thanks for all the info. From what I'm reading, I think Butch has everything he needs to travel and camp. First of all he LOVES to be in the car, and he did well camping the local camp grounds last summer. I took in several shows with thousands of people and other dogs and he did good.

He has his folding travel kennel, all shot records paper in the glove box, Doggie bag always packed and in the car with food, water bottle, and lots of scoop bags, and in everyone of my jacket pockets and purse. I have more poop bags in my purse then money..

I think it's my husband making the biggest fuss about traveling with a dog. I just told him he can stay home when we go out west, cause Butch and I usually go without him anyway.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #19

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
This is the "Kitty Walk Stroller" & it makes bringing our furkid to many places (except zoos) possible, where having her leashed she would not be allowed.

P.
Attached Thumbnails
Mal in Kittywalk.jpg   Mary & Mal @ Pops.jpg  

PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #20

Minnesota
dogs

I love your photos of the "Kitty Walk Stroller" Thanks for posting.