Travelling alone - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Travelling alone

Just got home from Colorado, being stranded for an extra day in Estes Park, rain, mud, and driving on a stretch of road with marble size hail on it. First trip ever without someone else being along. Don't like it. Might not do it again unless I can find somebody to go along. Without the satellite radio that came with the Buick, I'd have gone nuts, maybe nutsier than I already did. FWIW.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Funny, but being single all my life, I find travelling WITH someone a bit stressful. I’m content with my own thoughts; I fuss about in the vehicle (play with radio, eat almonds, watch for wildlife; turn up the CB if I brought it; listen to talk on the radio (farm reports, local shows, anything like that). Whatever burns up the miles without taking my attention (too much) from driving. The miles go along.

I don’t have any expectations about whether you’ll ever get used to it but I hope that you keep trying.

I've got a 2 weeker coming up (LBL then Brown County). The weekends full of company and the weekdays to recover. Its a good balance for me.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I've started buying audio books for long drives....it helps keep me company. I'm also thinking again about rescuing a dog.. .pluses and minuses

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bob, I don't travel alone but when I see hail, snow, dust storms.... I also have heightened anxiety and attentiveness. When ever I can in bad weather I just stay put waiting for improvement figuring I'm retired and have time. We've waited as much as 5 days for snow to clear.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #5

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I think most libraries have books on tape (MP3 & WMA) that can be checked out and downloaded to iPod or MP3 player at home. They also have e-books to download also. I load up my iPod before taking a long trip. Haven't listened to a radio station in a long time. Since Fiction/Mysteries are my favories, I try to listen to book series like the Michael Connelly Harry Boesch series, or the Cornwell alphabet series. No commercials, fadeouts or dead spots to interrupt the story.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
While I currently travel alone (sometimes friends in a tent join me) I understand missing a travel companion. My wife & I camped for many years, traveling all over the US & Canada. She passed away 3 1/2 years ago, and while it isn't the same, I still enjoy hitting the road. (And yes, I do find my self wishing I could share the beauty I've discovered with a companion, and admit I sometimes drive down the road talking to myself just to hear someone!)

Will be heading off for much of the remainder of this & next year mid October. Have to see what the south & southwest look like in Winter & decided to get away from our seasonal average of 150" - 200" of snow!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #7

Name: Sally
Trailer: Escape 21 in Nov
California
Having traveled alone for years, not counting a dog - or two or three- I can't recommend audible books highly enough, especially when one gets the mid day drowsies driving. Also great fun are the Teaching Company courses. College level classes, but no tests! Binoculars for bird watching help, especially when waiting for a tow vehicle, which is going to happen occasionally. And a good camera for sharing sights with internet friends helps. One can also sing aloud and no on is there to complain...
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Bob

Time Takes Time.

It will get better,it just does.

Hope we see you at Brown County?

Hang in there.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Usually when I travel, my wife and five kids are with me. I love traveling with my family, but this weekend while I drive to Seattle, to pickup some Trillium 4500 cushions, I will appreciate the time to my self.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #10

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I like traveling alone when it comes to listening to an audio book instead of arguing over what music to put on the radio or making conversation. (Unless it is someone I like a lot and don't see often or dont get to talk to often.)

But I like knowing other people in the campground. And I like having people to stop and eat meals with.

I like being able to stop wherever I want- but I would like to have company to visit the sights with- so that's kind of mixed.

I think you'll get used to and enjoy some aspects of solitude but find a way to work friends into it, too. I've done a couple of overnights and one campout all alone (with the dogs) and did enjoy it, but I really prefer at least one other person nearby. Not necessarily sharing my site, though.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #11

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Bob, I highly second what Ed Harris has said.
I lost my soul mate as well...never knew what life was like without them as we grew up together sharing all our secrets, life, and love for mother nature. I have never enjoyed the woods or trips with anyone else more. I know how I felt the first and second and third and fourth time out alone without this person. My heart was so heavy I thought I would die. I would say to you to reach out to others, maybe help them in some small way, and enjoy each tiny little bit of another person, even if it's a stranger. Someday... you will smile while looking at something and know your loved one is smiling also. Healing is a difficult thing but it will happen in time.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I think if I traveled with someone else, someone would die after about 3 days (That's my "social" limit.)

Get a dog..they LOVE to hear you talk! :-)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #13

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Get a dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post

Dogs will love you no matter what! And it can get your mind off yourself. Great idea!!!!!!!

Dogs attract "Babes" Ha!

Dogs give unconditional love!

Dogs are attentive to your emotions.

Dogs can protect you.

Dogs can make you laugh!

Dogs can lick your feet! HA!

Dogs can smell...better than you. HA!

Dogs can keep you warm when you run out of Propane.

Dogs can predict things...so pay attention.

Dogs can exersise you...

the list can go on and on...
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I also rent audiobooks along the way from Cracker Barrel. You can return them to any Cracker Barrel when you are done.
Here's How it Works

• Buy a Books-On-Audio CD at any Cracker Barrel location.
  • When you’re done, simply return it on your next Cracker Barrel visit. We’ll refund the purchase price, minus $3.49 for each week you’ve had it.
  • Do it again!
Audiobooks | Cracker Barrel
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #15

New Jersey
Registry
Check eBay as well for audio books. I got the hobbit and lotr for less then $20 shipped to me...cheaper then if I bought the 4 of them in paperback from a bookstore....

I'm starting to see your point about the dog too lol. I've been grounded the last few weekends with my dad in the hospital.... he's out and I can get away and my friends seem to all be off seeing their significant others lol....would be nice to have some company lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 09-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #16

Registry
While a dog makes a great companion, remember most of our national parks don't allow them on trails. Same for some state parks. If you like to hike, leaving them in the trailer or a parked tow vehicle isn't good...
Old 09-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #17

New Jersey
Registry
I guess times have changed... 20 years ago I used to hike up to sunfish pond at the Delawarewwater gap with my dog for overnites often....sigh rulez suck lol

Old 09-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #18

Registry
I must be the exception - I can't stand audio books. Not sure why, but they seem to demand too much attention, or, if they don't, my mind wanders off & I loose track of the story. I do love to read real books, (although not while driving) usually a couple per week.

While driving I listen to my local public radio station using their app (WRVO - mostly news & talk) or, when I'm in the mood for music, Pandora. I do have XM radio, but generally only use it when I'm in a dead cell data area.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Still loving and using my AM/FM radio.
But do have to use CD's rather than 4/8 track and cassettes.
The newer vehicles just don't know what we had.

I prefer textbooks over other types.
Hated school, but love learning. I'm the best teacher I ever had......LOL
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #20

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I think if I traveled with someone else, someone would die after about 3 days (That's my "social" limit.)

Looking at Gina's avatar, I'm convinced that I would enjoy having that dog along! Cutest beagle ever! (Gina, if you look half as good as that, you can come along for 2 days as well... not 3, I'm not ready to die yet )

Bob, everyone's different. So what works for one person might not work for another. Keep trying things, so you can find your comfort zone.

I would think that traveling alone can't be any worse than sitting at home alone. But maybe you have a good support group of folks around your place that you are missing when you travel? Just wondering.

Personally, after RVing alone for several years now, I really enjoy it. Having my wife along on a trip to Michigan this June was definitely less liberating.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote