Travelling with propane tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #1

Name: Leonard
Trailer: Bonair Oxygene 2002
Quebec
Travelling with propane tanks

I will soon be leaving Montreal to head towards Miami Florida. I had google maps détermine the route. With my two 20 lbs propane tanks should I avoid certain routes, bridges or tunnels? Leobon
Leobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
I wouldn't think so.

But regarding your route, do yourself a favor and avoid NYC and especially the DC area by going west of the coast via I-81 and I-64 instead, joining back to I-95 well south of there in the Richmond area - regardless of the route Google Maps computes for you.

You'll thank me later...lol.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
From the Albany NY area we have sometimes gone across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel, you have to stop at the toll booth and they will ask if your tanks are shut off. Our normal route though is I 87 south to I 84 west to I 81 south, then on to I 77 east in Virginia to I 26 at Columbia SC then east on I 26 to I 95 and then south. The only toll is I 87, the NY Thruway. On the Thruway, pulling a trailer, you have to stop at a manned toll booth so they can adjust the rate for a trailer because their EZPass system does not read the trailer.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
cheapapeake tunnel

ditto on the booth

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #5

Name: Leonard
Trailer: Bonair Oxygene 2002
Quebec
As I thought, 2 x 20 lbs propane tanks are not forbidden anywhere as long as they are shut off.?.?
Leobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
They are completely forbidden in the tunnels in Baltimore. You must use the Francis Scott Key Bridge. Must stop for inspection to make sure they are turned off in Norfork and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #7

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Propane tanks

Have never heard of rules for driving with full propane tanks?
When in U.S. will have to learn more about your rules south of the boarder.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Last March, I have never seen so much retread rubber on the road as I saw on the I-95 south of Washington. It was the roughest interstate I’ve ever taken, especially in the southern states. Several people I spoke with in Florida campgrounds had experienced blow-outs coming south. In future I will take a route further west, likely the I-81 and I-75 when traveling down the east coast.
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Travelling with propane tanks

Baltimore tunnel restrictions are real. It's an absolute prohibition carrying big fines. Not a big deal because the Francis Scott Key Bridge is a relatively painless detour- a little longer but freeway all the way and nice views of the outer harbor. Beware of winds.

Even better, as suggested, avoid I-95 altogether!

Complete bans on RV-sized LP tanks are very rare. Most tunnels & ferries simply require the tanks be closed.

There are also a few parkways that only allow passenger vehicles- no trucks or RVs. A quick search of old threads turned up a few previous discussions you may find helpful.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ges-72470.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-go-75015.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ons-72296.html
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #10

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Have you considered what truck drivers with hazardous materials do? Look for the Hazmat signs whenever going through cities and take that route. For example you may be routed around a city by taking the loop instead of going straight through or routed to an alternative route to avoid a tunnel. Not a big deal.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
But regarding your route, do yourself a favor and avoid NYC and especially the DC area by going west of the coast via I-81 and I-64 instead, joining back to I-95 well south of there in the Richmond area - regardless of the route Google Maps computes for you.

You'll thank me later...lol.
X2!

From Montreal:
87 to Albany
88 to Binghamton
81 to Winchester
50 / 17 to Fredericksburg
91 southbound

Another option from Montreal is 401 westbound to cross in NY state at 1000 Islands, then 81 southbound.

Depending at what time of the day you're travelling, you could spend much more time in traffic in New-York/Philly/Baltimore/Washington than it will take to reach 81 to the west.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
On ferry boats too, you must have the LP tanks closed.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #13

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Have never heard of rules for driving with full propane tanks?
When in U.S. will have to learn more about your rules south of the boarder.
You can drive in the US with full propane tanks and turned on except on certain bridges and certain tunnels. This is in case of an accident the propane lines could rupture and cause a massive fire or build up of fumes in a tunnel could cause an explosion when you have a pilot on. It is the same on a ferry in Canada. We went to Vancouver Island and had to turn off our tank and put a special tag on it. If the tag was torn or missing you got in trouble. This is a fire safety also because of the flames on fridges, etc. in the belly of a ferry could cause a fire if fumes are introduced. Other than the special tunnels or bridges our rules are the same as yours except our propane is cheaper. The special places are marked before you get to them or at the booth.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #14

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
We just got back from a trip through NY, where we stayed overnight at Floyd Bennett field, a national Park campground in Brooklyn. Whatever you do, try to avoid this entire area on a Friday evening during rush hour on a 3 day weekend (don't ask how I know)! The campground is a good place to stop if you are an aviation buff. It would have been smooth and easy to get to if we were allowed to use the Belt parkway, but RV's are prohibited on the Belt parkway so we had to use surface streets after getting off I-278.
We wanted to stop at Liberty Park in NJ to view the Statue of Liberty as we left the next day. My initial plan since I couldn't use the Belt parkway was to use the Holland tunnel. Waited in line for the tunnel in stop and go traffic and as we got close, finally saw the "NO RV" sign, with a recommendation for RVs to use the George Washington bridge. Continued North (GPS then wanted me to take the Lincoln tunnel as I passed by it but I wasn't sure if that was allowable). Continued past the Lincoln tunnel and used the lower level of the GW bridge (oops, was supposed to use the upper level).
NY Port Authority has a webpage that lists most restrictions with references to their "red book" that seems to allow the following RV propane exceptions;
"Division 2.1 or 2.2
DOES A CAMPER/RV MEET THE REQUIREMENTS FOR M.O.T
• Not over 100 kg (220 pounds) in a cylinder, or
• Not more than 70 gallon water capacity for a non-liquefied Division 2.2 material
with no subsidiary hazard in a permanently mounted tank manufactured to the
ASME Code."

Another thing you have to be wary about is the tolls on those bridges and tunnels. They are free leaving NY to NJ, but can be pretty steep if you enter NY via the bridges or tunnels. If my math is correct, a 4 tire tow vehicle pulling a single axle trailer would cost $33 cash (as low as $20 with EZ pass), and a dually pickup pulling a double axle trailer would cost $84 (as low as $68 with EZ pass).

I would also recommend getting an EZ pass if you don't have one. Tolls are cheaper and usually no lines to wait in. We got ours for free from the state of MA a few year ago since they seemed to have the best deal (no fee and no annual charge) even though we don't live there. It can be used in Delaware. Illinois. Indiana. Kentucky. Maine. Maryland. Massachusetts. New Hampshire. New Jersey. New York. North Carolina. Ohio. Pennsylvania. Rhode Island. Virginia. West Virginia. and Ontario Canada.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #15

Missouri
my story

well here is a good one. We take our 2 burner coleman stove it runs on reg gas too you cannot find coleman fuel in Europe. So I packed everything up flew to Roma when we got there I noticed this odor coming from my big bag.

I had forgotton to drain the tank and the valve had loosened just a tad letting a little gas out.

No one said a word and I sure didn't!!

bob
Old 10-18-2017, 06:59 PM   #16

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
You took gasoline on a plane? Thanks for the reminder that the airline industry is falling down on the job of screening prohibited items.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #17

Missouri
yeeeep

yep I did it it was an accident at 73 then I couldn't remermber anything still ccant at 75. I do wish they had caught it but I might still be in jail!!

just hopeless

bob

Tags
propane