"Travels With Charley" by John Steinbeck - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up

Correct me if I am remembering this wrong. In the book "Travels With Charley" by John Steinbeck, one night after being worried with some people's behavior as he was over-nighting at some point in his travels, he stepped out of his pickup camper with a shot gun to scare them off. Did He or Didn't He?

In 1960, Steinbeck bought a pickup truck and had it modified with a custom-built camper top -- rare for that day -- and drove across the United States with his faithful poodle, Charley. His book has been credited for the boom in RVing from then on. I read it back in the 70's and enjoyed it, however, I already had a pickup with a camper shell on it by the time I read the book. I can not remember what had him worried but I remember a shot gun, I think.

I may have to find a copy to read again. Hoping someone has read it out there and can tell me if I am truely remembering it correctly.

Thanks!
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
one night after being worried with some people's behavior as he was over-nighting at some point in his travels, he stepped out of his pickup camper with a shot gun to scare them off. Did He or Didn't He?

I can not remember what had him worried but I remember a shot gun, I think.

[b]I may have to find a copy to read again.
The passages became darker during his time in New Orleans. I think I remember reading about some ugly racial incident that happened there, but I read it some time ago.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Burro
Great book. I always remember the passage about the devil-faced man who helped him fix a blown tire.

Blue Highways is similar, although as I recall, there wasn't a camper involved with that one.
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
I agree that it's a great book. I've hauled out the old volume a couple of times since we got the Casita 4 years ago. The tire story was a good one, especially after reading about similar tire problems in the letters to editors and on the forums. Being from CA, I enjoyed his comments about Texas, the Texas "orgy" and Texans in general (he was married to one). His writings are also controversial. I've known several people who objected strongly to them. The part about the South in TWC was uncomfortable (racial tension). That's part of life in this country as well. Steinbeck did win the Nobel Prize for literature in 1962 and the 1940 Pulitzer Prize. Not too shabby!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:56 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Quote:
The passages became darker during his time in New Orleans. I think I remember reading about some ugly racial incident that happened there, but I read it some time ago.

To find a copy of anything bookish, go to: abebooks.com a fantastic website for 13,500 Booksellers, worldwide.

Des
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
i reread this book this past winter while camping in dixie with my dog.
the camping was better in those days; one could find an idyllic pullover almost anywhere it seemed and life held more adventure in the united states.
but, i concluded that the world has become a much better place since steinbeck's day. i really enjoyed the south and witnessed only harmony and goodwill everywhere i went. i was also very impressed with the politeness of southeners and the magnanimous hospitality i encountered as a yankee south of the mason dixon. in fact, i am looking forward to exploring more of the south by camper, the landscape is gorgeous and the people are fascinating.
gillian s is offline   Reply With Quote