Trillium 1300 overhead shelves - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2021, 03:44 AM   #1

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: In the market
Ontario
Trillium 1300 overhead shelves

Are the overhead shelves part of trailer integrity? Can they be moved without reinforcements? Thank you so much 😊
VanessaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:07 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
No, the shelves are not structural. Mine are attached with screws to the plywood around the windows and to the cabinets at the ends.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:33 AM   #3

Ontario
Thank you so much
Old 01-26-2021, 08:47 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The shelves are attached to the wood across the top of the windows. So they really can't be moved up or down more than about an inch. Otherwise, there is nothing to attach to. If you just don't like the shelves, there is high demand for them, as they were an option on the trailer, so many came without them. Lots of people seeking them.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #5

Ontario
Thanks guys!
I will keep that in mind bill
The person attached a tv to the front shelf and it’s super warped - also my two sons need the extra bunk room!
Old 01-26-2021, 03:06 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Definitely save the shelf or sell it! Easy to straighten out the shelf by adding stiffeners made of aluminum/wood/fiberglass/etc

Do you have pictures of the trailer that you can post??
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:12 PM   #7

Ontario
Hey John we pick it up within the hour !

The back ones I want to straighten but the front had a tv attached to it so I have a situation. Plus I have a 9 and 11 year old son and they could use the room!

I will take a photo and send ASAP
Old 01-26-2021, 03:25 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
On the Trillium, the upper bunk is attached to the wood on the bottom of the window. Dump the TV and you should be fine space wise. Certainly you will want the lighter of the two children on the upper bunk, as the lower bunk sits securely on top of the fiberglass gaucho. On a Trillium, this gaucho is fiberglassed to the front and side walls, along with the floor across the front. Meanwhile, the top bunk is secured with a hinge to the wood across the bottom of the window, along with two legs going down to the lower bunk. I would have no problem with a full sized adult on the bottom bunk. On the top, no way.

I have no use for a TV in a camper. If I was full time, sure I’d probably want one. For occasional video viewing I find my laptop works just fine. Those upper shelves were not meant to support much weight. But they are still useful. If nothing else they are a good place to mount lights.

By the way, the wood surrounding the windows is prone to rot. At that point, its not supporting a bunk. In my case, when I removed the front rock guard (awning if you will), I was surprised there was no sealing material under the framing at all. So I had rot on the wood and the screws holding the window frame and the rock guard were badly corroded. The wood framing around the windows is basically held in place by those screws and the window framing. The front lower horizontal wood on mine was just a pile of wood fragments. No way it was supporting the top bunk.

So I would remove the front window and rock guard (if you have one), inspect the wood framing, replace any/all wood, new butyl tape, screws and remount. All prior to putting anyone on that top bunk. Plenty of threads in the manufacturers section on repairing Trillium windows. My front window was the worst, followed by the rear window. Side windows were good.

How important is this maintenance? Just imagine the top bunk collapsing onto the lower bunk with two children on them. Scary! And realize your trailer is over 45 years old.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:28 PM   #9

Ontario
Yes, the TVs is gone and there is zero chance it’s coming back haha!

Tags
trillium