Trip to Gibsonville,NC/Parkliner-anybody care? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #1

Name: harry
Trailer: New Parkliner owner
North Carolina
Trip to Gibsonville,NC/Parkliner-anybody care?

Just home from Parkliner, met Chandler, etc..
Now, I'm a newbie to FB trailers, all I know is what I've read from you fine folks, read here,there, and everywhere, deduced from brochures,[casitascamptrilliumoutback]. Having said that, my impressions of Chandlers operation,product, etc. follow..
Parkliner's manufacturing operation is a loading dock facility across the street from the RAILROAD TRACKS! In it, i viewed a trailer being assembled, one other in two parts still in the molds, various lower/upper bathroom molds, a door, and other parts hither 'n yon. Chandler drove me a block or so away, to his house to see a finished product in his side yard.[why anyone with a big, fine home and yard like that wants to traipse around dragging a tiny trailer around....?]
Anyway, a 15' trailer is just that, three foot tongue,30" deep head[shower to landlubbers], with approx. 9 1/2' WC door to rear window. All very well appointed, IMHO!
The apparent roominess in the webpage fotos,facebook, etc, as Chandler explained, was done with a fisheye lens, to show....whatever. The large cabinets are actually not that large. Why does a grown man have 75-80 tshirts hangin' in the closet, anyway? The silverware drawer is DEEP, front to back,side to side,upn'down. Didn't look in the bottom closet[under furnace, I think] Toilet is a portable/there is a builtin-in option, adding blackwater tank,etc...[no thanks,me]. Linen closet will hold my entire bachelor supply of towels, probably sheets too. Incidentally, I'm almost 5'11", in chuck taylor hightops and bucket hat, i never brushed anything overhead. 3 spd fan over bed area, escape hatch further forward..AC is a fridgedaire, if memory serves my feeble brain. Battery is an Optima bluetop, perfect for hooking a solar panel to, according to my short studies.
I put to rest my thoughts about a trip to Backus,MN only last night, with the simple fact that 15' is only 24" longer than 13! [concern about my little 4cyl.toyo tacoma tug]. My 25' tape this morning confirmed what I already knew, my truck is 16 1/2'.
Bottom line- I told Chandler early February will be fine time to come pick up my new Parkliner! Oh, before we left the trailer, after doing the order form, writing a check, etc.,I thought to ask about upholstery/curtain options. That orange pattern just ain't me, babe! He showed me a half dozen other choices in the silverware drawer, some of which were less hideous. Then he told me he had to go to Zoomcraft factory/warehouse, anyway, not far away, all his upholstery work is done there, come pick out what I like! Yeah! So I'll have a nice lgt/drk blue pattern cushions w/some corresponding [light] blue curtains, made by Mrs. Chandler. Options I ordered were AC[$275], Norcold 3way fridge[$675],dual propane tanks[$250]w/auto switchover rgulator, and dual batteries[$250] for a future solar setup, needs more research, personal knowledge of my needs, etc. right now..
Last thing I did before leaving was give Chandler the name decals I had made a week or so ago, from decalzone.com. Soo...4 sold, so far,one being assembled, one in the mold, and two being started in a week or so, one of which is MINE, ya'll can tell if it's me by the name, front an back,"Rollin'Home"! Best review I can do, right now, but please call and order one, tell 'em Harry sent ya.....Did I mention, after threatening to be Chandler's BEST on the road salesman, he told me there would be a little something in it, for me,anyone who buys a trailer, and mentions my name?
Honestly, I was impressed with the obvious thought put into these trailers,[again] from what i've read, learned about some others' shortcomings, only, not trying to put down anybody else's, this just looks like it'll suit me fine......now to try attaching the few pics i took..couldn't take pictures inside the plant 'cause of pattent pending apps....
Anything I forgot, just ask, I know a lot of you are far away from here, I've got plenty of brochures, to mail, slightly different prices from the webpage, you may notice.
ps Skip the pics, only seven of them, I can't even find them on my stupid "puter! It's a Norcold 3way fridge, and Suburban 2 burner propane stove.
harryjhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you Harry and THANKS for providing all the details. I appreciate the fact you were allowed to pick out your own colors. Your Parkliner will be uniquely your own!

When you find the pictures, we'd love to see them
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We'll look forward to seeing your photos of the first camping trip in your new Parkliner. Congrats.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Good for you Harry and THANKS for providing all the details. I appreciate the fact you were allowed to pick out your own colors. Your Parkliner will be uniquely your own!

When you find the pictures, we'd love to see them
I found the pics, no idea HOW to get them from my puter onto an attachment, I've read the attachment info, greek to me, how I ever got around the world in both directions, 58 yrs old, is a mystery to me, also!
harry
Old 11-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjhere View Post
I found the pics, no idea HOW to get them from my puter onto an attachment, I've read the attachment info, greek to me, how I ever got around the world in both directions, 58 yrs old, is a mystery to me, also!
harry
Trying to get these stupid pictures here....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0259.jpg   IMG_0260.jpg  

IMG_0261.jpg   IMG_0264.jpg  

Old 11-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjhere View Post
Trying to get these stupid pictures here....
These were taken of the trailer in Chandler's yard. He wasn't expecting me, but took the time to sell me a new future home. I wasn't there as a photographer, primarily..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0262.jpg   IMG_0263.jpg  

IMG_0265.jpg  
Old 11-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Nice! Glad to hear that you are joining the ranks of egg pullers. Your info and photos may help someone else, one way or another.

Did you have to duck your head when going through the door, in and out of the trailer?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Nice! Glad to hear that you are joining the ranks of egg pullers. Your info and photos may help someone else, one way or another.

Did you have to duck your head when going through the door, in and out of the trailer?
I didn't really notice any need for excessive ducking, going in or out, but can't say definately. The door, by the way, Chandler mentioned how much i'd appreciate it, compared to 'others'. Not having any past experiience with others, I assume he was refering to the fact that the door appeared to be two separate, FG molds, inside/outside, molded together, probably w/insulation between.]?] How can that warp? Also, the floor comes standard w/linoleum, wet rag underfoot cleans it.. I had NO trouble with headbumping, as I said. After mentioning future solar plans, he told me they considered offering an option, but decided against it, for now. Gotta get off the ground before flying supersonic, right? Checking the brochures he provided, the builtin toilet option he offers is a Sealand8100 series w/sewer tank ugrade to 30 gals. @$937, installed. Still, no thanks. He mentioned a stick-on solar panel, molds to the contours of your rig,[no drill holes],offered by West marine, but his '06 catalog didn't show it. I haven't googled, yet, trying to write a review, upload fotos, watch monday night footsball, drink my FIRST cold one of the day.....later, Mike..
Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Now, why would he end it with the name "Mike"? There is a Mike who handles Parkliner on Facebook? Anyway, whoever they maybe, it appears to be a nice trailer based upon the photos. Maybe Harry will be able to attend an upcoming rally in Tenn. or NC or Penna. Love to see one like Lil Snoozy who came to the Eggfest this past summer.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Nice trailer!
So it's not a "Duck Egg" and it's larger than a thirteen...
O'stretch Egg??
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Now, why would he end it with the name "Mike"? There is a Mike who handles Parkliner on Facebook? Anyway, whoever they maybe, it appears to be a nice trailer based upon the photos. Maybe Harry will be able to attend an upcoming rally in Tenn. or NC or Penna. Love to see one like Lil Snoozy who came to the Eggfest this past summer.
Beacuse I was replying to Mr. Mike Magee's question about bumping my head going in or out. AS in, Check ya later, Mike!
Agreed, I'm new here, and there's AN AWFUL LOT I don't yet comprehend about posting, etc. Refer to the difficulty I had just attaching a few simple pictures! Couldn't even find them on my own computer! I'm not a computer whiz/geek, either! I use Windows Vista for Dummy's, and promptly forget anything I read. A bunch of people indicated an interest in Parkliners, when I first posted, due of course, to my proximity to the source, compared to many eggers from out west, fla., even new hampshire! So pease, just help me along a little bit! My brain still works, I just don't use it for much beyond my current needs, desires, etc., anymore. My Uncle Sam told me I don't have to work anymore, took away my livelihood 5+ yrs ago, and i'm still making adjustments..Plan to keep breathing as long as possible, doing as I see fit. A cardioverter defibrillator apparently ONLY leaves me qualified to be vice president, and who wants that job?? I spent half of my working life,[day for day], sailing around the various oceans of this planet, earning wages, and I only asked to be thrown overboard, for fishfood, when it's over. Can't do that, envirnmental concerns...goodnight
Old 11-29-2011, 05:12 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Harry, you're doing just fine. We're able to read your posts and view the pictures. THAT and a bit of kindness is all we need to connect with other like minded people here on FiberglassRV.

Safe travels
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:25 AM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Harry,
Sorry about the name mix up.
Since you will have your new home in February, try to attend some rally's near you. Look here on the forum under rally's. We love to meet new owners and their rigs.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Thank you

Harry,

Thanks for providing input on the Parkliner. We had planned to stop by to see the trailer but a combination of a death and long Thanksgiving weekend got in the way.

You did a good job posting. It takes a little while to use all the features of this site but be assured you'll learn as you go and there's a load of people here to help you. I think you're off to a great start.

We definitely wish you the very best, safe travels and all the joys of Fiberglass RVing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #15

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Harry
Thanks for the write-up, you are one of the few people who has seen one of these and reported back here?

Have you ever been inside another Egg to be able to compare the room inside and in the cabinets?
I ask because you comment on the storage space and I want to know if this is your first time inside ANY egg or this is compared with another one you may have seen?

The pics do indeed suggest more storage than others but pictures can be deceptive for sure.
I like the storage space for the cushions when not in use and the way the bathroom is laid out is unlike the others too. It makes for a very strange looking closet interior but still provides for a decent sized bath and still more storage.

The windows look interesting but only a small section of them seems to open,maybe 1/3.

Also your report of it being 15' is the first I had heard that.
Did they tell you that or did you measure it?
And of course I am curious,did they give you a weight?

Keep up the good work and congratulations.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Harry
Thanks for the write-up, you are one of the few people who has seen one of these and reported back here?

Have you ever been inside another Egg to be able to compare the room inside and in the cabinets?
I ask because you comment on the storage space and I want to know if this is your first time inside ANY egg or this is compared with another one you may have seen?

The pics do indeed suggest more storage than others but pictures can be deceptive for sure.
I like the storage space for the cushions when not in use and the way the bathroom is laid out is unlike the others too. It makes for a very strange looking closet interior but still provides for a decent sized bath and still more storage.

The windows look interesting but only a small section of them seems to open,maybe 1/3.

Also your report of it being 15' is the first I had heard that.
Did they tell you that or did you measure it?
And of course I am curious,did they give you a weight?

Keep up the good work and congratulations.

Ed
I used to live in Gulfport,ms. After miss katrina dropped by for a visit, sending almost 6' of water thru my 1 bdrm apt, my ford econoline van is the ONLY reason I salvaged anything. no storage facilities, no grocery stores, not much of anything. I couldn't get a FEMA trailer, single, substantial assets.. I did look at a 16' casita. At the time, I was solely interested in a place to LIVE. I was still working, mate on a supply boat, 2wks on, 2off. That little Casita looked like a shoebox, to me. I wound up with a 19' Jayco lite, hurricane strapped down, in a buddies' backyard, for 2 years. Got pretty claustrophobic, after fulltiming in it for a year. But that was as a fixed, nonmovable abode..And, a guy with a Scamp13' was parked next to me @ the BISCUIT, back in october. I picked his brain about the solar panel he had mounted on top, even let him hook up my Ipod, hear some Real blues. I only stuck my head inside, didn't enter, non bathroom model w port-a-pot in lower cabinet. That about sums up my actual Rving experience. But, 4 yrs in USNavy, 18 yrs on merchant ships, and 8yrs on supply boats, a rack to sleep in, place for S@S, heck w/shaving, is all I need! Extra rooms,doors,hiding places, makes me uncomfortable. I do believe I can thrive better than i'm doing now, in a little FG camper, possibly a tonneau cover or cap on the tug. If not, I'll at least be back in Gpt.,with a $16000 getaway for when I'm going somewhere!
The windows- four of 'em are louvered. I assume both top and bottom crank out, but I haven't tried. Call Chandler, my suggestion. He told me during our converstion, he's busy trying to build trailers, get his business moving, etc. Computing in the evenings, for an hour or two, is not his favorite thing. three or four young kids, 2 daughters dropped into the trailer, say HI Dad, see who the stranger was, will cut ito your time, I suppose!? The brochures I have, show 2 kids sitting on the doorside settee, another blonde kid laying on the driverside settee, reading a book and giving a thumbs-up,[above the batteries, that is], and probably Mrs. Chandler tucking kids into the bunks. He rapidly dismantled the bunk rig, showed me the table setup, side dining table setup, and wraparound seating available if you go for the bunk option and magic table. It also showed me, if you need to stow bunk in the closet, leave your good tuxedo at home! I didn't measure wth my trusty tape measure, the total length. But I'm assuming he wasn't jiving about the tongue being 3', the fore/aft depth of the shower being30" down to 24", by the showerhead. That leaves 9 1/2' front to back. The side dining table, neither 13' has, correct? Finally, Chandler stated only 2100 lbs., dry, unloaded.
As I've previously stated, i'm a total newbie, but I'm also very cognizent of the fact that I'll be at most, the seventh or eighth owner of one of these trailers. I'm trying to give actual facts, as I perceive them, to anyone interested. Attention to detail, in reporting information, can serve a sailor well, even when it looks like he's been drinking, again..reminds me, I forgot to ask about electric brakes, do I need to buy a controller, or is that supplied...darn it!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #17

North Carolina
Furthermore, I specifically told Chandler pictures were to post on FIBERGLASS RV, for interested parties, in case he had any reservations about showing his stuff! He didn't, apparently, except to tell me pictures weren't permitted of the manufacturing facility. Patent pending issues, when I 'how comed 'him. I try to be on the up'n up, most always..
If you plan to use the hat shelf to stow hats, bring a foldup, or watchcap, leave your dress fedoras on the tug seat. what else...?
Old 11-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Thanks
I only wanted to know if you had been on another egg to compare storage or if your comments were based on your impression without being able to compare.

Sounds like the Parkliner will be perfect for you and maybe for me too.

I sort of like the convertible toilet idea as I rarely use one if by myself yet it takes a lot of space in most other rigs.

I doubt that the windows open on top. They flip out on the bottom for ventilation and to prevent rain getting inside which is great but I can't understand why so little of the window does this.

So do the bunk parts sit in the closet when not in use?

It sounds like you need to get busy and babysit them till yours is ready so we can get all of our questions answered first hand!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #19

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Thanks
I only wanted to know if you had been on another egg to compare storage or if your comments were based on your impression without being able to compare.

Sounds like the Parkliner will be perfect for you and maybe for me too.

I sort of like the convertible toilet idea as I rarely use one if by myself yet it takes a lot of space in most other rigs.

I doubt that the windows open on top. They flip out on the bottom for ventilation and to prevent rain getting inside which is great but I can't understand why so little of the window does this.

So do the bunk parts sit in the closet when not in use?

It sounds like you need to get busy and babysit them till yours is ready so we can get all of our questions answered first hand!
No, I have NO previous experience with others storage limits.
Yes, I believe I can make it perfect, for me!
The portable toilet,[in a cabinet under the forward settee, inside the shower door], suits me fine! Due to previous experience w/a 40 gal. blackwater tank, ready to overflow the toilet, next time I took a leak! Happy New Years Eve, 2005-6, Harry! Great seastory, ask me sometime!
You are probably right about the windows. My total inexperience, never suggested to me that possibility! Still better than slides, yes?
Bunk parts DO go in the closet. Hence, my tuxedo remark! Closet is SMALL! All hands bring ONE jacket, jam it in, bunk parts in the tug! I'm solo.. Or, leave the bunks set up, make up the master bed, all sit at the family table, for meals!
I don't need to 'get busy'! I don't even know what I'm talking about! I've BEEN busy, since mid-october,[internet is a wonderful thing], trying to figure out what my crazyass is up to now! YOU FOLKS have convinced me that living 'on the road', is a viable option! I asked Chandler, walking away, how many times I could stop by, check progress, etc. A look came over his countenance, that, to me, said,"UH OH, WHAT HAVE I DONE?". but he told me just call ahead, see if I'm available...Wilmington is about 150 miles from Gibsonville. Provide gas money, we can talk.
I'd be proud to provide day to day reports, but almost $16000 is a BIG whack at my life savings, tell me how long I can count on Soc. Sec. disability, and how long my heart is gonna pump....
Sounds like you need to get busy, load up one of those 3 campers, and come on to north carolina! I'm trying to be helpful. Parkliner.com provides a phone #, that's firsthand info, from someone who KNOWS what they're talking about! Took me over an hour to compose this email......

t
Old 11-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Thanks for the pix, Harry. Can't wait to see your rig at a rally. Welcome and keep us informed about your new "Rollin' Home."

@ Ed - you are just looking for another excuse to add yet another to your camper collection, aren't you? At least you don't keep them, or we might have to call you a hoarder.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner