Triple E Surfside History Debate - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-03-2020, 08:17 AM   #1

Name: andrew
Trailer: In the Market
British Columbia
Smile Triple E Surfside History Debate

There is some debate on this forum on the SurfSide history and I want to straighten it out! Or at least try... The final result will be to contact Triple E and ask them for their revision but I suspect there is some not so public parts of the history.

Sources Consulted:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ual-27984.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...e-26132-3.html
50 Years for Triple E - RV Dealer News
http://www.mb1870.org/localhistory/0...%20Winkler.pdf
And numerous references in the Winnipeg Free Press for Armor Coach Industries looking for employees in 1975

After reading the above and the fact that there are numerous 1974/1975 models out there my working theory is:

Triple E was purchased by Neonex in 1969 which pushed out the thre "e's" from the company. They then started a new business called "Armor Coach Industries" (located on Springfield Rd 1mi east of HWY 59 in the now North Transcona yards) and started making the SurfSide as their entry into the fiberglass RV market. The Oil embargo hit and Jimmy Pattison started to lose buckets of money and sales dropped in RV's so he sold Triple E back to the founders in 1976. At this point Armor Coach industry disolved, moved shop to the Triple E Winkler factory and ramped up marketing and production for 1977 when the official start of the TM-14 Triple E Surfside began.

It all lines up nicely

Debate time!!!

kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Good Job

I admire your research and found it very interesting. I just wanted to comment because when I first started spending time on Fiberglass RV, the history for Surf Side was blank. I believe that I provided the sentence that is there now and that was from a conversation with Triple E factory staff. Our trailer says it was produced in 1976 although by the history, it may be considered a 1977, however, one knows that production begins well before completion. I have seen listings for Surf-Side Trailers that indicated they were earlier than that and I have always wondered about it. Thank you for the info.

Triple E provided me with a copy of the advertising brochure from 1977 when, I was told, the Surf-Side first appeared along with all the other Triple E models. They also shared a 1978 brochure of the Surf-Side -- it had it's own brochure. I have printouts of those brochures in a binder that I show at the Manitoba Vintage Trailer Rally.

Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:50 PM   #3

Name: andrew
Trailer: In the Market
British Columbia
Interesteing

Thanks and I have seen the brochure also, its quite informative.

I am from the west coast and just started looking at all fiberglass RV's to target a brand for which I have settled on the Surfside and Trilium as my preferred models and then went down a rabbit hole of research into the history and different layouts... not certain why I found it so interesting but it is a convenient distraction

I am guessing at this point as the details are quite low on Armor Coach Industries other than some '75 surfiside owners have posted that this was on their label with Winnipeg as the location. There is possible other links to Ventura and Monarch industries that were in Gimli as the Mennonites in the area were are quite likely linked by relatively close bloodlines.

I have some Mennonite in my blood and know of it well as in my area there are a ton of families with close ties in the same small area.
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside