“Truck Parking Safety Improvement Act,” - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Idling tractor trailer rigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
i

I asked a simple question and got a ?????
I’ve never been part of the “ X got something I didn’t get so it’s not fair “ crowd , well maybe back when I was 7 or 8 years old
When they make people towing travel trailers comply with the same laws /rules / regulations and pay the same taxes as commercial truckers then maybe I could see your point .
I’d be all for a compromise in that if you get to camp at a trucker’s rest area then I get to park my semi truck in front of your house with the engine running all night . Seems fair to me !!

Now back to worrying about something that really matters
I always like Raspy’s common sense approach !!
Your reference to idling semis in the neighborhood reminded me of a cold winter I spent in Maryville, Missouri in 1978/79. My next door neighbor was an attractive young lady. On a periodic basis, an over the road tractor trailer rig would park
On the street in front of her house. Driver would go inside the house, always a different guy. Engine idling, they would not Re-emerge for about 72 hours. And then they would, as they say, give the tranny a spin, pop the clutch and they were gone. The most interesting part of this boring tale was her name.
Miss Flame Darveau.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:49 AM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape21 DeJa View pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Isn't that the least of your troubles right now?
So true, focus on the small issues so that the big ones do not drag you down....
Old 03-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So true, focus on the small issues so that the big ones do not drag you down....
Or only focus on the small issues and let them drag you down.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:47 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Or only focus on the small issues and let them drag you down.
If you can tell the difference you're ahead of the curve!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:02 AM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
best things

best thing stay cool there is always something!

enjoy life!

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If you can tell the difference you're ahead of the curve!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:51 PM   #26

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
There are two million tractor trailer trucks in the United States. Trucks now have electronic logs which store and transmit data about hours of operation, location, speed, shut the engine down after the allotted number of hours, etc. This information is monitored by transportation and law enforcement officials who issue citations for violations. They will issue the citation at a later date based on the data in the log. They do not have to be there to witness the violation. Get stuck in a traffic jam for a couple of hours and you are not going to make your destination in time. And there is no place to park, or to get something to eat, or use the restroom. There you are.

Unless the truck has two drivers who can alternate driving to keep the truck rolling, it must be parked 10 out of every 21 hours. That means that at any one time, seven days a week, 952,000 of those two million trucks must be parked. The problem is that there are not that many legal parking spaces in the United States available for all of them.

Trucks are absolutely necessary to bring us everything we must consume and/or use. First on that list is food. You will NOT be able to maintain your standard of living or even survive without those trucking services.

Most drivers must have the next pay check, thus must have the job. Truckers are not doing it for recreation or to lord the size of their vehicles over lesser inferior vehicles and drivers. Driving a truck is work, not fun. AND being able to get sufficient rest and sleep can be pretty much a matter of someone's life or death.

RVs are superfluous pleasure vehicles that can be driven anywhere, any time with few restrictions. Stop on a grocery store parking lot, have lunch and take a two hour nap. Then continue on your way. Plan your schedule and easily adapt it. Complaining about restrictions against parking RVs in commercial vehicle parking areas really ignorant and short sighted.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #27

Missouri
parking

Very rarely I have ever encountered a shortage for truck parking. Yes they need rest and they have almost as many extra parking opportunites as everyone else. Matter of fact I see them parked on the exits leading off rest areas I haven't figured out the reasoning behind this but I will ask if I see on out and about!

I see them parked at truck stops, restaurants, walmarts and other locations! Why? Because they are like the rest of us RV people they like to eat and shop!

Seems right now we all get along with very few disagreements where we park! I like truckers they are for the most part courtesous and helpful.

I am glad they are there and bring the goods we need to live and enjoy life! And yes they have jobs just like the rest of us earning a living just like the rest of us..

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
There are two million tractor trailer trucks in the United States. Trucks now have electronic logs which store and transmit data about hours of operation, location, speed, shut the engine down after the allotted number of hours, etc. This information is monitored by transportation and law enforcement officials who issue citations for violations. They will issue the citation at a later date based on the data in the log. They do not have to be there to witness the violation. Get stuck in a traffic jam for a couple of hours and you are not going to make your destination in time. And there is no place to park, or to get something to eat, or use the restroom. There you are.

Unless the truck has two drivers who can alternate driving to keep the truck rolling, it must be parked 10 out of every 21 hours. That means that at any one time, seven days a week, 952,000 of those two million trucks must be parked. The problem is that there are not that many legal parking spaces in the United States available for all of them.

Trucks are absolutely necessary to bring us everything we must consume and/or use. First on that list is food. You will NOT be able to maintain your standard of living or even survive without those trucking services.

Most drivers must have the next pay check, thus must have the job. Truckers are not doing it for recreation or to lord the size of their vehicles over lesser inferior vehicles and drivers. Driving a truck is work, not fun. AND being able to get sufficient rest and sleep can be pretty much a matter of someone's life or death.

RVs are superfluous pleasure vehicles that can be driven anywhere, any time with few restrictions. Stop on a grocery store parking lot, have lunch and take a two hour nap. Then continue on your way. Plan your schedule and easily adapt it. Complaining about restrictions against parking RVs in commercial vehicle parking areas really ignorant and short sighted.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
there are two million tractor trailer trucks in the united states. Trucks now have electronic logs which store and transmit data about hours of operation, location, speed, shut the engine down after the allotted number of hours, etc. This information is monitored by transportation and law enforcement officials who issue citations for violations. They will issue the citation at a later date based on the data in the log. They do not have to be there to witness the violation. Get stuck in a traffic jam for a couple of hours and you are not going to make your destination in time. And there is no place to park, or to get something to eat, or use the restroom. There you are.

Unless the truck has two drivers who can alternate driving to keep the truck rolling, it must be parked 10 out of every 21 hours. That means that at any one time, seven days a week, 952,000 of those two million trucks must be parked. The problem is that there are not that many legal parking spaces in the united states available for all of them.

Trucks are absolutely necessary to bring us everything we must consume and/or use. First on that list is food. You will not be able to maintain your standard of living or even survive without those trucking services.

Most drivers must have the next pay check, thus must have the job. Truckers are not doing it for recreation or to lord the size of their vehicles over lesser inferior vehicles and drivers. Driving a truck is work, not fun. And being able to get sufficient rest and sleep can be pretty much a matter of someone's life or death.

Rvs are superfluous pleasure vehicles that can be driven anywhere, any time with few restrictions. Stop on a grocery store parking lot, have lunch and take a two hour nap. Then continue on your way. Plan your schedule and easily adapt it. Complaining about restrictions against parking rvs in commercial vehicle parking areas really ignorant and short sighted.
👍👍👍👍👍
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #29

Missouri
steve are those thumbs up? I like them!!

bob
Old 03-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #30

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Seems like multiple drivers is a good idea, keep the loads moving.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #31

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
https://www.google.com/search?q=tomb...&client=safari

I wouldn’t haul padadas on that road regardless of what they paid me. I have very good respect for truck drivers and the tough job they do. They cause me a lot less anxiety on the highway by far than idiot lane changers, cell phone users and people applying makeup as they drive.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #32

Missouri
am i mistaken?

when I pull up to a rest area do the signs point cars to one area and trucks and rvs to the other? I don't know seems there is always plenty of room for everyone but in my boondocking since I usually arrive around 4 or so I am going to park myself and the Scamper in the civilian area unless of course I am at the Walmarts along with the other truckers!!

Just curious

bob

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=tomb...&client=safari

I wouldn’t haul padadas on that road regardless of what they paid me. I have very good respect for truck drivers and the tough job they do. They cause me a lot less anxiety on the highway by far than idiot lane changers, cell phone users and people applying makeup as they drive.
Iowa Dave