Trying to Back Into a Spot - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-14-2021, 07:40 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Huck, what are you towing and with what vehicle?

We have one of the smallest molded trailers and recently we’ve been towing it with one of the larger vehicles on the road, a Chevy Express raised roof camper conversion. I can see the trailer just fine in my mirrors, but judging distance and the exact location of the back corner of the trailer is always hard on the right side because (1) the mirror is farther from you, which narrows the field of vision, and (2) the convex mirror, intended to counter #1, distorts distances.

In your case the complex and twisting campsite access is going to be tricky even with the best mirrors. The markers might help a little, and a rear mount camera will help more. Whether you want to spend the money for a situation that is pretty uncommon is your call. What are the odds you’ll run into another site like this one?

I’d be inclined to just call it a day. If it happens again, just accept the necessity of getting out often and taking it very slow. I put a folding chair in the spot I want the back corner of the trailer to land (on the side I can see in my mirror). I inspect the other, blind side carefully before backing to make sure there are no obstructions. With a deep, twisting access I might have to take it in stages, moving the chair each time.

I once had a similar difficult site. Narrow, uphill, trees close to the driveway, ruts, rocks, and roots everywhere, and a 90-degree turn at the top. Took my time and got out a lot. Glad nobody was around to watch.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:04 AM   #22

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Huck, what are you towing and with what vehicle?

We have one of the smallest molded trailers and recently we’ve been towing it with one of the larger vehicles on the road, a Chevy Express raised roof camper conversion. I can see the trailer just fine in my mirrors, but judging distance and the exact location of the back corner of the trailer is always hard on the right side because (1) the mirror is farther from you, which narrows the field of vision, and (2) the convex mirror, intended to counter #1, distorts distances.

In your case the complex and twisting campsite access is going to be tricky even with the best mirrors. The markers might help a little, and a rear mount camera will help more. Whether you want to spend the money for a situation that is pretty uncommon is your call. What are the odds you’ll run into another site like this one?

I’d be inclined to just call it a day. If it happens again, just accept the necessity of getting out often and taking it very slow. I put a folding chair in the spot I want the back corner of the trailer to land (on the side I can see in my mirror). I inspect the other, blind side carefully before backing to make sure there are no obstructions. With a deep, twisting access I might have to take it in stages, moving the chair each time.

I once had a similar difficult site. Narrow, uphill, trees close to the driveway, ruts, rocks, and roots everywhere, and a 90-degree turn at the top. Took my time and got out a lot. Glad nobody was around to watch.
I have a Ford Transit 250 van pulling a 15' Parkliner. In this particular case, I had about a 75 degree turn into the site. The van is long enough where I couldn't see the trailer on the left or the right.

I had a guy spotting me, but I still kept jumping out so I could see what was happening. This was my 2nd trip using the van and the 1st time was easy access where I was backing to my left so I could see the trailer. This time was to my right so I was blind.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:26 AM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
"getting out & looking"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Same situation towing my 17 with a RAV4. I could get into almost any site. Not so easy with the 21 & F150, although the tow mirrors help, and I'm a big believer in "getting out & looking" (I travel solo).
Jon, your belief and the belief of others of "getting out & looking" is excellent advice. When forced to, I get out and look. I am among the older set, travel alone, and most important, getting in and out of my vehicle is not something where you just "pop" in or out of the tow vehicle at a moments notice. I have been fortunate so far as to be able to manage with my mirror extensions and occasionally getting out for that more difficult setting. That is why I am seriously looking for a good camera system for my tow vehicle and trailer. Neither the mirrors or the camera will negate your admonishment. However, they will help immensely to minimize my need to follow yours and others direction. Since I have quite a large investment in both my Casita and my tow vehicle, I always error on the side of caution. Knock on wood . . . I have not yet made any unplanned design changes to either my Casita or tow vehicle. I would like to keep it that way.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I have a Ford Transit 250 van pulling a 15' Parkliner. In this particular case, I had about a 75 degree turn into the site. The van is long enough where I couldn't see the trailer on the left or the right.

I had a guy spotting me, but I still kept jumping out so I could see what was happening. This was my 2nd trip using the van and the 1st time was easy access where I was backing to my left so I could see the trailer. This time was to my right so I was blind.
So I’m visualizing this. Once you start the turn, you can see the front corner of the trailer in your right mirror, but you can’t see the back of the trailer or any of the campsite. The van has no back glass, so you cannot get a direct view of anything. About right?

Have you tried angling the right mirror further outward to catch the back corner of the trailer.? Wondering if one of those convex stick-ons might help. Otherwise, a spotter, a rear camera, and/or lots of in-and-out to look.

My van also has no outward visibility behind the B-pillars, so I have to rely almost 100% on mirrors. The side mirrors have convex panels across the bottom that allow me to see things I can’t in the main mirror. They give a wider view and show where the tires are on the ground. All helpful, but I still have to get out and look sometimes.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:53 AM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
IMHO, the most difficult thing is when you need to backup while turning into a space, and you are trying to line up the 'street side' of the trailer with the edge of the parking space, but your tow vehicle is over to the right so you flat out can not see that side at all no matter what you do with your vehicle, because the vehicle is to the right of the centerline due to the turn you are backing into.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #26

Name: Brian
Trailer: Looking
Arizona
Here's the ultimate solution

Old 09-18-2021, 11:21 AM   #27

Name: Fran
Trailer: 2023 Bigfoot 17.5 FB
Idaho
Helped me backup solo

I traveled solo for 12 yrs so I feel your pain/entertainment value. Ford F-150 with 22 ft Bigfoot.

Sold BF last year (still regret) and moved into small 22 ft motorhome - Chinook Premier 2004 - also fiberglass, which I do enjoy for flexibility, comfort, size. Just want to have them both so I could “live in the trailer” for extended trips without having to break camp for groceries. Such ridiculous problems to have, right?

This was my trailer process.
First pass, I stop and walk the site, check for low obstacles like rocks, logs. Check for high obstacles, branches etc. Decide my landing zone in relation to these, the high low ground and hook ups. Then I get out a bright orange rope. I lay it along my desired path for the rear tires of the trailer on which ever side I need to back up, either right or left. Get back in and drive the loop again.

Second pass, make sure my approach “curves into the spot driveway” and pull slowly forward across the loop road - past the entrance - getting rear of trailer past entrance and truck/trailer lined up straight with steering wheel straight. I end up being cross-wise on the loop road with the rear of trailer pointed into site and front of truck pointing opposite on the loop road.

Then SLOWLY back up, following my trusty orange guideline. I have received compliments on this process!

I have e-trailer mirror extensions and power to the original mirrors so I can tilt down to see the orange guide if it goes out of view. It’s okay to stop and go around again if it gets wonky!

These are similar to my mirrors: Longview Custom Towing Mirrors - Slip On - Driver and Passenger Side
Item # CTM2300B. I just leave them on permanently since improves visibility so nicely.

P.S. if it’s too dark to see the orange rope, a battery operated string of lights serves same function.

Happy camping!
Fran
Fran in Ideeho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:27 AM   #28

Name: Fran
Trailer: 2023 Bigfoot 17.5 FB
Idaho
Part 2 for clarification. Orange rope process...

From the internet, here is a nice picture for my approach before backing into spot: they call it The Swoop.

https://dgx9rrgrsfte9.cloudfront.net...8/TheSwoop.jpg

Cheers, hope this helps,
Fran
Fran in Ideeho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #29

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
I love the rope!! I have a set of bright orange collapsing traffic cones that help, but the rope is a very nice idea... excellent. I have a back-up camera I installed on the rear that helps keep the back end centred on my target - one of the cones. I place that so I know I won't go too far back.
But I am going to go and pick up a rope or two as well.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #30

Name: Della
Trailer: Trillium 1973
British Columbia
Backing up

Quote:
I travel alone, so usually there is no one to spot me. I was just at a campground where I had to back the trailer to my right, which means I was completely blind. I couldn't even tell if I was within 5' of the entrance.

Another camper came out and spotted me, and I still had a hard time getting into the space. It was narrow, had a few small turns, and was long. When I got the trailer lined up, the front wheels of the tow would scrape the timbers lining the driveway.

My fiberglass trailer is so short I often can't see the trailer to get an idea how I am doing. Jumping in and out of the tow vehicle gets rather tiring!

I thought about putting an extension pole on the rear of the trailer with a flag at each end. These would extend out about 3' on each side so I can get an idea where the trailer is.

What do you think? Would it be of any help? Obviously I would just use it for backing up.
I don't know ifthis would help but i was talking to a fed ex guy and he says ppl are using video baby monitors and fastening one to the back bumper when you need to back up and you can see on your “parent” video monitor or maybe even a smart phone app these days so you can line it up perfectly
Dellaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #31

Name: Rob
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Registry
Poles are not a bad idea. I put little flag poles on my boat trailer because it hides behind my truck bed and by the time I can see it, it has already turned too far.
I would make your poles easily removable for the highway or in case a tree decided to remove them for you. :-) At least the poles might hit something before your trailer does. Just watch out for low stuff too!

Sometimes we'll take the "get out and look idea" to extremes - just park the trailer anywhere out of the way and then get out and spend some time in the site, have a snack and get a feel for the place. Once everybody is good and relaxed, getting it in the right spot goes a whole lot more smoothly.
robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #32

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by robf View Post
Poles are not a bad idea. I put little flag poles on my boat trailer because it hides behind my truck bed and by the time I can see it, it has already turned too far.
I would make your poles easily removable for the highway or in case a tree decided to remove them for you. :-) At least the poles might hit something before your trailer does. Just watch out for low stuff too!
not sure how well that would work on a FG trailer thats 8 or 9 feet or whatever tall. when in a turn, the 'outside' side of the trailer is completely out of sight, as the whole trailer body is in the way.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #33

Name: Rob
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
not sure how well that would work on a FG trailer thats 8 or 9 feet or whatever tall. when in a turn, the 'outside' side of the trailer is completely out of sight, as the whole trailer body is in the way.
True enough! You'd need those little curb feelers like they used to have on old fancy Cadillacs.
robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:28 PM   #34

Name: Patricia
Trailer: ECO & Casita
California
Registry
Trying to back into a spot

I got a wireless back up camera at pep boys. The Hitch Mount Camera $199, sits on the rear bumper, and connects wirelessly to the separate monitor in the tow vehicle. The monitor is about a 4” screen, and plugs into a cigarette style power port. It will not plug into a USB port.

It is a plug and play unit, so there is no need to download an app and hope you can get it to work.

The unit worked as advertised, however, you need to be sure that the power port is in a position you can easily view the monitor. It is not ideal in my Ford Edge suv, as it is about a foot to the right and a bit lower than my bifocals would like. It is in easy viewing range in my 2011 Ford Ranger. It does have night vision capability, but I have not had a chance to use it. I have a 17’ Casita, and had no noticeable drop in video reception when in use. It can also be moved to the tow vehicle bumper for easier hitching, if it does not have a back up camera.

There are back up cameras that pair to your cell phone, but I have no experience or recommendations with that type. I would not recommend driving with the camera in place on the bumper, I would be afraid it would vibrate off at highway speeds.
Pat Stipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:41 PM   #35

Name: Penny
Trailer: Burro 13’
Colorado
I pull my 13’ burro with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. It is difficult backing up for sure, especially by myself! Luckily there is usually a nice person to help.
LuckyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:06 PM   #36

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyPenny View Post
I pull my 13’ burro with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. It is difficult backing up for sure, especially by myself! Luckily there is usually a nice person to help.
I would think the short wheelbase Wrangler would make it pretty easy as it has such a tight turning radius. OTOH, I put a bunch of miles on a rental Wrangler YJ back circa 1989, and it was a pretty twitchy vehicle on the highway (awesome on the cane roads of the big Island of Hawaii).
Old 09-19-2021, 02:29 AM   #37

Name: Bob
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Washington
John, this is off topic but I am wondering how much if any power your PV panel(s) generated while in the shade at Hendy Woods State Park.
Bob Gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:12 AM   #38

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gr View Post
John, this is off topic but I am wondering how much if any power your PV panel(s) generated while in the shade at Hendy Woods State Park.
the panels on the Escape probably did nothing. the compressor cooler was connected to my truck, and we got a few hours of good direct sun each afternoon into my 100W renogy suitcase, but we also drove the truck every day we were there. To be clear, this 75 cubic foot compressor cooler mostly stayed in the back of my truck, and ran of my trucks batteries NOT my camper, because I didn't have time to come up with a good way of doing that. This particular unit has two compartments and doors. I used the smaller one as the freezer and had it set for 0F, and the fridge side set for 38F to keep my beer chill ... (we had a lot of food in both sides, hah). in the 100F plus weather in the afternoons in Chico, the freezer side got up to 24F, but the 38F fridge side stayed in range. Under those conditions it was using more duty cycle but still didn't drag my truck batteries lower than I was comfortable with..

I was reporting my experience from the standpoint of how much WH per day a middlin sized compressor cooler actually need under various extreme conditions (we had some 107F days in Chico). I'm stil trying to figure out how I can get one installed in my Escape 21 to replace my broken RMD8555 7 cu ft

there's a norcold I'd love to have, but it would require some cabinetry work, including relocating the tank monitor and EMS displays...
Old 09-19-2021, 08:06 AM   #39

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Shopping
Minnesota
Quote:
I travel alone, so usually there is no one to spot me. I was just at a campground where I had to back the trailer to my right, which means I was completely blind. I couldn't even tell if I was within 5' of the entrance.

Another camper came out and spotted me, and I still had a hard time getting into the space. It was narrow, had a few small turns, and was long. When I got the trailer lined up, the front wheels of the tow would scrape the timbers lining the driveway.

My fiberglass trailer is so short I often can't see the trailer to get an idea how I am doing. Jumping in and out of the tow vehicle gets rather tiring!

I thought about putting an extension pole on the rear of the trailer with a flag at each end. These would extend out about 3' on each side so I can get an idea where the trailer is.

What do you think? Would it be of any help? Obviously I would just use it for backing up.
Howdy Huck,
I wired this one into my daytime running lights in the back of my camper and then the video cable underneath my camper and have a pigtail where my 7 pin plugs into the back of my car and then the separate video cable that runs through my car up through the spare tire and along the driver's side and the monitor sits in my corner of my window. This camera works great because I can see behind me at ALL TIME and use it for backing up also. It worked great on the Alaska Highway when people couldn't see around me to pass me if I was going too slow for them. It only cost me I think under $50 for the whole set up. I had to order a separate wire to go through my car because the wire that comes with it wasn't long enough. But I could step you through how to wire it. If I can do it anybody can do it. Here's the video that I watched that convinced me:
mnhoneybees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #40

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
I too, have the Milenco Grand Aero mirrors. I am quite happy with them. I find them quite stable and easy to use. I use them in the fully extended position. I have good vision of my trailer and when backing up, they do a good job for the most part. I think the real solution in addition to the mirrors is a camera at the back of the trailer. I am still researching cameras and have not yet decided on one.

I am in the same position as Huck. I travel alone without someone to spot for me. I also find that even when I do have a spotter, some are not that helpful. Mixed signals, sloppy hand gestures, and not in sync with what you are trying to accomplish. When one side of the trailer is not in view of the mirrors, I think that you really need a camera on the trailer to see what is going on. Just my opinion. Aren't we all entitled to one?
I too, have Milenco towing mirrors. Got the Aero 3 mirrors, but do wish I would have gotten the Grand Aero mirrors instead. Milenco mirrors are much more stable than clip on mirrors! Since my Chevy Colorado is pretty narrow, I have mine set up at about 1/2 way out. DW does not like the way out there because she is afraid she might hit something or someone! I also have a rear vision camera. As a retired over the road truck driver, I fine these backing aids invaluable!!! Would have loved them on the big rigs I use to drive!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote