'Turn' bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2022, 12:45 PM   #1

Name: Ann
Trailer: Scamp
Connecticut
'Turn' bed

Hi all, we have a 16 layout 6. I hate climbing over my husband. Has anyone figured out how to reorrientate 90 degrees?
Ann C Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 05:35 PM   #2

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Have him sleep next to the wall...
I don't think it's feasible or practical. It will be necessary to make the bed length (front to back) at least as long as it is in the current side to side configuration. The kitchen appliances on the curb side, and the structural partial wall between the side dinette and rear table on the road side will prevent that.

Would you consider adding an extension to the table when in bed configuration? That could provide foot room and you two sleep with your heads to the rear wall corners. You'd get the fill width for shoulders and hips, and neither climbing over the other, but you'd have to get in and out at the 'foot' of the bed between the side dinette wall and the kitchen.

Jon MB
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 08:17 PM   #3

Name: Ann
Trailer: Scamp
Connecticut
That what I figured we'd do. Just wondering if others have done it and how it worked for them
Ann C Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 09:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Perhaps Floyd's bed modification is what you're looking for: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post506887
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:27 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
In quite a few Scamp layouts, going into the center aisle covers the furnace, so you have to choose between the bigger bed or having heat at night. That said, it’s a popular solution, as the linked thread reveals. As I recall the furnace is under the forward dinette seat in layout 6, so it’s probably not an issue for the OP. Other things will be blocked, of course.

A Casita Liberty 16’ or 17’ is the king of longways beds. You give up the permanent side dinette, but you kinda do that anyway with an aisle bed extension. Either way you have to do some shifting around to make a place to eat inside. With the Liberty you only have to clear the lower third of the bed to make a dinette. The 16’ was discontinued a few years ago, but used ones still come up occasionally. Selling a trailer for a good price is no problem right now; but finding the replacement is harder.

Our 13' Scamp has the same rear dinette. My wife and I share the smallish rear bed for together time in the evening- watching a movie, reading, or whatever- but when I’m ready to roll over and sleep, I roll all the way to the front single bed (or the side dinette in your layout). That also accommodates nighttime potty visits and our somewhat offset sleep schedules. Works for us and keeps the limited aisle space clear in our 13’er.

Just some options…
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:36 AM   #6

Name: thomas
Trailer: casita
MA
length wise sleep

in our casita 17 i put a cooler with a cushion at end of bed
a coleman just fits
when we sleep we slide over the seat cushion and use that as the bed extension
cooler is also extra storage area
and we are outside cookers so dont use the inside cooking area much
townsendtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 12:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 17 ft Casita
Sleeping better

As much as we liked our Casita Spirit, after 6 years of climbing and/or sneaking through the small opening to get to the bathroom at night, we finally bit the bullet, sold it and got a Casita Liberty. It was a hassle and took us about 6 months to get Libby, but we are so dang happy now. We took out the cushions and made 8” memory foam replacements. We use the benches by day and just slap down sleeping gear at night. As a bonus, we also like the more spacious and open kitchen area. I don’t know about you, but the older we got, the more often we make those nightly treks. This may not be an option for you but I do wish you success in making something work for you.
kate raslavsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:07 AM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
While not perfect we found sleeping head to toe, head to toe to be helpful as we each had more shoulder room and it's easier to climb over legs. Ultimately though, I (the wife) decided to sleep on the lower bunk and left the larger bed to my husband.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie RB View Post
Have him sleep next to the wall...
I don't think it's feasible or practical. It will be necessary to make the bed length (front to back) at least as long as it is in the current side to side configuration. The kitchen appliances on the curb side, and the structural partial wall between the side dinette and rear table on the road side will prevent that.
Jon MB
That partition is not a structural element of the trailer. It is merely a divider for appearance. It is not load bearing and doesn't support anything. In fact, it is not even included in the Liberty and Independence Models, which don't even have it. I cut mine down to open the interior up. I left a small section between the overhead cabinets and for the backrest of the rear side dinette. Other than that, it's gone. Really makes the trailer look bigger without it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0006.jpg   casita1 009.jpg  

casita1 007.jpg  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote