TV selection - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #1

Name: corvetteguy
Trailer: Casita
Virginia
TV selection

I'm looking for a new TV for my Casita. It seems the pickens are slim on Amazon and Walmart and the consumer ratings are kinda low. Is there another place I could check. If you have recently purchased one and are happy please share. Looking for 23-24" , no DVD, one or two HDMI ports, 12 or 110 volt.
garyhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I'll be paying close attention to this thread as well. I ran a similar thread some time back looking for a decent 12v TV but still haven't purchased one.
Be very careful when purchasing on Ebay. I put in a search for 12v TV's and several came up and most were obviously the same business. I found one I liked and purchased it yet when it arrived it was 110 v. I complained and was offered a coupon to buy an inverter. Eventually after much complaining I received a refund thru Ebay. This particular vendor is based in Viet Nam but the TV was delivered from WalMart in Arkansas. Their ad's state that they are 12v multiple times throughout the ad.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I'll be paying close attention to this thread as well. I ran a similar thread some time back looking for a decent 12v TV but still haven't purchased one.
Be very careful when purchasing on Ebay. I put in a search for 12v TV's and several came up and most were obviously the same business. I found one I liked and purchased it yet when it arrived it was 110 v. I complained and was offered a coupon to buy an inverter. Eventually after much complaining I received a refund thru Ebay. This particular vendor is based in Viet Nam but the TV was delivered from WalMart in Arkansas. Their ad's state that they are 12v multiple times throughout the ad.
Check out Pilot or Loves truck stops. They carry 12 items and TV's are included.
Alice L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #4

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 21
Texas
We found that a 22 inch 110 volt TV worked well fit nicely between the back and side windows of our 17FD. We mounted it with a mount designed to mount under kitchen cupboards. When we didn't have shore power, we used a small 200 watt inverter.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:13 PM   #5

Name: Terry
Tennessee
We are on our first Casita trip. Of course I accidentally left the owners manual at home. Doh!
Is it standard to have a 12 volt TV in a 2018 17 foot Spirt Delux? I only tried it one night while we were boondock camping. It didn't come on.
I can say this, with 5 nights in our egg ship on shore power, I'm not impressed with the TV at all and I would love to replace it.
BahneCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
If you don't need to run the TV on 12 volt D.C. then just get a Samsung,they are really better than the others and priced pretty similar or a little more.

If you do need it to run on 12 volt then get a Samsung and a decent inverter or try to find a Jensen TV they seem to be made more for vehicles than most others although the ones sold at Truck Stops are likely OK too for obvious reasons.

I have also found a lot of TVs in my days that do run on 12 volt D.C. transformers and they have all run just fine using a trailers 12 volt power as the battery acts as a sort of filter to make the converter output OK for them to work safely.

In my experience this has not been a problem.

I will also add that these days almost any flat panel TV is going to be and work just fine as they are so much more alike than different than they used to be.
There are really only a few different makers of the actual flat panels themselves and all current TVs are also use LED backlight so the only thing different is features and size from a practical perspective.

If yo buy a Samsung or other better name brand you will get a better panel and thus a better picture but I know many here just want the cheapest they can find and the cheap ones usually work fine these days too!

Yes I do sell TVs.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:00 PM   #7

Tennessee
Thanks Ed!
A Samsung really does make sense. I have a Samsung Galaxy phone and I'd love to Samsung Smartcast to the Casita TV.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:36 PM   #8

Name: gretchen
Trailer: scamp 13'
Washington
We have a NAXA TV for our trailer. I wasn't familiar with the brand but came up a lot during searches for 12v televisions and mostly on trucker websites. We have had for 4 years and it has worked great for us.
gretchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #9

Tennessee
We also have the NAXA TV. I even installed a PC speaker and I cant hear the dang thing when the heat strip or the furnace is running. I know my hearing is going but for us to watch a movie we have to freeze. The higher the volume, the more distortion we get. So more volume is not beneficial.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:10 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahneCasita View Post
We also have the NAXA TV. I even installed a PC speaker and I cant hear the dang thing when the heat strip or the furnace is running. I know my hearing is going but for us to watch a movie we have to freeze. The higher the volume, the more distortion we get. So more volume is not beneficial.
I run a patch cord from the tv earphone jack to the Aux input on my stereo. Works great.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #11

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I bought a Insignia DVD TV that runs off a 12 volt wall wart and mounted the 24 :er in the side of the cabinet that holds the Refrigerator and microwave.
I have 12 volt available at that position, but have just used the 120 volt so far.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I run a patch cord from the tv earphone jack to the Aux input on my stereo. Works great.
I did the same only I attached it to a pair of amplified computer speakers. It makes stereo but also has independent volume controls for each of us.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:32 PM   #13

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
That's a good idea!
Old 12-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I've been using Walmart more these days over Amazon, or Ebay. Just go online and order what you want, they have a large selection and most are not stocked in there stores. Why, free delivery to the store and you pick it up when it comes in and they take anything back for any reason if unhappy, what more could you ask for. No shipping fees for returns and the hassle of dealing with someone on the phone, your money tied up, and a big inconvenience to-boot.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:23 AM   #15

Name: Rob
Trailer: Shopping
Texas
22” Insignia with dropdown mount fits perfectly!
Rbertoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #16

Name: Elly
Trailer: (Former) Casita 17 SD
Florida
I walked into a Best Buy and bought a Samsung 21". Open Box on sale. Hard to find smaller ones, but store happy to see it go. Four years of full timing and still great. Has two HDMI ports and supports my Chromecast. Bought a small aftermarket Bluetooth plug in so I can add extra speakers at other end of trailer. We use King Jack antenna and cable when available. Works great in our Casita.
Elly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #17

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
TV/DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhall View Post
I'm looking for a new TV for my Casita. It seems the pickens are slim on Amazon and Walmart and the consumer ratings are kinda low. Is there another place I could check. If you have recently purchased one and are happy please share. Looking for 23-24" , no DVD, one or two HDMI ports, 12 or 110 volt.
We use the Naxa 23.6" Led Tv & Dvd And Media Player Combination With Car Package from Walmart. Like the 12v/110 feature as we boondock without electric hook ups and use solar for everything. Down side is built in speaker is not that loud so we use on of those JBL bluetooth/plug in speakers then everything is fine.
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #18

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
A lot of sellers on ebay have absolutely no merchandise in stock. When you buy from them they buy from Amazon or Walmart and have it drop shipped to you. I discovered this when I bought something and it was delivered by Amazon with a gift receipt inside. I felt a bit stupid.

When I see something I want on ebay I always check Amazon and Walmart, and very often find the identical item there for a few dollars less. Not always, but often.

Those ebay sellers are letting Amazon and Walmart do the heavy lifting while making maybe a dollar or two on each sale. Do that a thousand times a month and it adds up.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Works great!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:50 PM   #20

Name: G
Trailer: Damon
Alberta
12 volt TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhall View Post
Hi, we've had great performance with the least expensive RCA's. No fancy business, more likely to keep on ticking.

Many brands of of flat screens are indeed 12 volt even though the have a 110 volt plug or "wall wart" attached!

We just cut off the 110 v adapter and tap into the nearest 12v source. The cord will have either a white line or some ribbing on one leg of the cord; this is the positive wire. There will also be a symbol on the wart indicating positive as tip or ring. KISS.
workhorsed is offline   Reply With Quote