TV, Streaming, Internet - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 10:22 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Photo is a bit shaky. Must be shivering.
You may well be correct , I believe the photo was taken in mid September
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:09 AM   #22

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I got rid of my cable at home (internet and tv) to go to a solution that works for home and camping. I had partial success. I wanted a live TV streaming service rather than movies.

Here's the 2 main problems I ran into:
1) It's very difficult to find internet connectivity that is affordable, supports streaming, and is unlimited. I went with a Verizon solution that claims to be all 3 for $60/month. It requires a jetpack. During off hours it is great, but between 8am and 7 pm, it sucks for streaming.
2) Many realtime TV streaming services require Home - a fixed address where you are expected to connect from on a fairly regular basis. In other words, it appears to me that you still need a cable or similar internet connection. They won't work with a jetpack unless your home is cable or similar. So at home you use cable internet and when on the road, you can use a jetpack or other mobile solution. DirectTVNow works over a jetpack with no Home requirement, but you don't have access to local stations.

I have also noticed I get better streaming with my computer connected to jetpack than the TV using a Fire Stick connected to jetpack.

What I did was get the Internet service 1st and used it with cell phone and computers. I still used cable for TV.

Once I decided that Verizon was good enough for cell and computers, I started testing different streaming services. Most offer the 1st month free with 30 days to cancel, so you can probably do this for free.

I liked HULA the best of those I tested, but it doesn't work with just a jetpack and requires Home.

Sling didn't offer all the stations I wanted. I tested another, but I don't remember which one. It also required Home.

DirectTV Now (ATT) won by default. It had all the channels I wanted and worked over a jetpack. They just increased their monthly rate by $10, so I am paying about $140/month for internet service and streaming live TV.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #23

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 2009 casita 17’ Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
Thanks ! it's been so long since I camped..lol I forgot about the cell phone and internet service.. or lack off...

Lisa
MudFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #24

Name: Oliver
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD
Oregon
We, like a previous post, have a need to be connected because of work requirements. A Verizon MiFi, Wilson 4G booster, and external Yagi antenna mounted on the rear bumper with a telescoping pole (repurposd flag pole), seems to work pretty well. In "fringe" locations, we pretty much let everyone know we are incommunicado, and wait until we are in a area with cell signal. I concur that in most campgrounds, the wifi is pitiful, usually provided more as an afterthought then a benefit...although they still charge for it with the fees!
oabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #25

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Get a good book. Minimal power requirements and it won't disturb other campers.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #26

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Sure...get a good book... why not also ditch the TT and vehicle... get a horse or mule and a covered wagon...or a horse and wall tent...or just a backpack and tent...or backpack and tarp....or...no tarp, no backpack, just drag animal skins...

Think I will stick with what I have...trailer, truck, computers, TV's,Wifi, Kindle, books, electric, propane...
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #27

Name: Tony
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
California
Backing up

A bit off subject but you mentioned you’re new to pulling a trailer and backing up. The best advice I can give you is hook your trailer up and find a big empty parking lot and practice. It’s much better than trying it new in the campground. I drove transfer trucks for most of my career and that’s how I got good. The more you practice in a relaxed mood the better.
TonyLb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2019 Casita SD, former HiLo and Sunline
Florida
Hot Spot

We have Dish Network at home and set our timers to record the news and our favorite programs. Upon arriving in a campground we search for a T-Mobile signal, and if three bars are available we are in business. We have the T-Mobile senior plan ($70), with the 4G streaming add-on ($20, pro-rated by day). We activate our iPhone hot spot, synchronize our iPad, and watch our Dish Network programs. Plus, my wife use her Bluetooth headset. Which means that I can tranquilly bliss out on whatever reading material I have saved up on my Kindle app. Of course, if a T-Mobile signal is not available, my wife and I are obliged to sit around a campfire and talk to each other...
Dave40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #29

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard Layout 6
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Sure...get a good book... why not also ditch the TT and vehicle... get a horse or mule and a covered wagon...or a horse and wall tent...or just a backpack and tent...or backpack and tarp....or...no tarp, no backpack, just drag animal skins...

Think I will stick with what I have...trailer, truck, computers, TV's,Wifi, Kindle, books, electric, propane...
Sorry we're getting off topic, but...

I absolutely agree (and love the way you said it).

Seems there's usually someone that chimes in to say you don't need any more stuff than they prefer to have.

To each his/her own. If dragging animal skins is what floats your boat, who am I to argue (as long as you've cleaned them if you're camped next to me...otherwise, too many flies).

And if I want amenities above and beyond animal skins, why argue with that as long as my TV isn't bothering others.

Edit: to The Minimalist - I saw the wink and I'm not ranting at you. I just had to say that because others make those statements in a serious manner. Since you were joking I figured it was safe to rant a little. I probably would have kept quiet if that was a serious comment so as to not start an argument.
DLDK is offline   Reply With Quote